Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shylock30012001)
    i just mean he's tough mentally.it's ok for boys to cry n doesn't mean they're weak either.
    A person with obsessive-compulsive disorder: merely defective; or 'tough mentally'?

You would do well to consider the implications of what you are saying, in future; ideally, before putting your fingers to the keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not quite sure about this. Though I have a few suggestions. When my aunt died when she was 23 my grandmother didn't cry at all- likewise when her husband died. She just hurt so much inside and the grief was so large- that crying would involve attempting to confront those emotions- something which she was unable to do. Perhaps even though you can't cry at perhaps trivial things, maybe you just have an acute sensitivity where crying just bypasses you and your system finds its own way of dealing with it (don't ask me how). If you really want to cry, then I always find drinking a bit helps- not loads though, just enough to get you in that emotional position- i.e. think about what's hurt you and then you may be able to do it.

That may be just total crap, but it works for me sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I can never cry in front of people... no matter how upset i am...

i can cry when i'm in my bedroom alone and no one is around to see/hear me...

ReputationRep:
    I would not phrase crying a weakness especialy mentaly - do you not feel thats too strong? Why can't males cry?

ReputationRep:
    people deal with things in there own way,

i was 11 when my nan died, i love her so much and when i found out i didn't cry, untill i reliased i wouldn't see her again,

when my mate moved away i didn;t cry it devastated me but i didn;t cry

i think itd different for everyone!! some people cry and some don't its just life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    I don't get it, I can't cry no matter how upsetting the situation is, I couldn't cry when my parents split up, I couldn't cry when my grandpa died and whenever something unhappy happens which most would cry about, I can't cry. It hurts on the inside yet I just can't cry.

I'm male and 15 years old so is this even normal?

Can any of you still cry?

my best mate can't cry either, so its not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    I just did but I'm a girl I cry all the time. :rolleyes:

It's good for your eyes if you do it every now and then, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    I don't cry, I don't know why. I'm definately not tough or hard either. I can't cry in front of people and I don't cry when things are too much. Although lately, as in the last week, I've cried and I've felt like I've wanted to a lot...I don't know what's wrong with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich_)
    Well, I'm not quite sure about this. Though I have a few suggestions. When my aunt died when she was 23 my grandmother didn't cry at all- likewise when her husband died. She just hurt so much inside and the grief was so large- that crying would involve attempting to confront those emotions- something which she was unable to do. Perhaps even though you can't cry at perhaps trivial things, maybe you just have an acute sensitivity where crying just bypasses you and your system finds its own way of dealing with it (don't ask me how). If you really want to cry, then I always find drinking a bit helps- not loads though, just enough to get you in that emotional position- i.e. think about what's hurt you and then you may be able to do it.

That may be just total crap, but it works for me sometimes.
    I concur; sound counsel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by covered farm wagon)
    I sort of get that problem. Sometimes I can be so sad about something, and really really want to cry to try and get it out my system, but I just can't. Other times, I'm just mildly stressed and find myself crying like a mad thing. For example, last week I had an essay due and I got so stressed about it I just couldn't do it, and when I went to see my Prof. to ask for an extension, I had to end the conversation abruptly because I had the sudden desire to run off and cry (which I did, embarrassingly, but it was raining so I don't think anyone noticed). It's like, I can be fine at funerals, but cry at Neighbours, and I have no idea why. I don't think there is anything wrong with me, though. I find that if I am so sad I feel like crying, I become self-conscious of the fact that I feel like crying, and then I feel ridiculous and can't do it. Gah!
    well...do people agree that suffering can be built up over a time and then release over something else? I think thats the case with me so maybe you too

ReputationRep:
    Emotional pain can certainly build up over a period of time and the slightest thing can bring about the past pain. The best way to try to deal with emotional trauma is to attempt to deal with it relatively quickly, as the longer the emotional issues are left, the more damage they can cause.

The reason that it is more commonly acceptable for females to cry, then males is due to the traditional and stereotypical views. However, no-one should ever be ashamed of crying and to make individuals ashamed of their tears, is simply diplorable.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't cried for years either dunno why, no matter how upsetting something is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.