If you could have 3 wishes ..... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
Hiya mate, I've assumed some things about you in the University UCAS tracker thread thingy. You should go over there and set that inquisitive chap straight about Manchester.

UMIST hopefully for me!
WHo's the inquisitive chap, I'll look and have a word.

UMIST merging with Manchester of course, so we'd be in the same boat.
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
So, enlighten us. Who wins? Is it a pros fighting or just novices from one vs, pros from another?
It's all about basic effective combat systems, I don't mean to offend but a lot of the Traditional Martial Arts tend to be artsy fartsy and rely on philosopies and such. This is the internal aspect.

Muay Thai is external, it's about power. A seasoned fighter in Muay Thai will have shins like clubs, conditioned so scar tissue forms, and the nerves are deadened. Fighters are taught to hit fast and hard.

Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu is about takedowns, locks and submissions(including chokes). Mainly a practioner prefers to fight on the floor where he/she has the upper hand in training on an opponents. The most highly used move is an Armbar, not overly hard to apply, and from this position the arm can easily be broken.

I'll find a URL to decorate what I've said.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) vs Karate
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...p=getit&lid=16

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) vs Kung Fu
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...p=getit&lid=11

Muay Thai vs Tae Kwon Do
http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...p=getit&lid=10

Mixed Martial Arts is what is known as cross training, for example Muay Thai for stand up fighting, and Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu for ground fighting.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Blah, seems the links don't want to work.

Go to the Downloads section and then into "Style vs Style", to see for yourself.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1) to be able to play any musical instrument (including singing) to a fantastic level,

2) ability to speak and write all languages

3) to know combat and survival skills (for when you need them!)

i wouldnt make any "cure cancer" etc wishes, not to be cruel but that i dont think i have the right in meddling in the world at such a level
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1) that I aswell as all my friends and families have happy, prosperous lives
2) a lottery win- although i wouldn't want bill gates quantity of money, about 3 mill would be fab though
3) time travel
all fairly selfish things really. If i could do the typical thing of asking for unlimited wishes i would then

4) get rid of blair and put in politicians that actually listen to their constituents and don't lie

5) Get rid of Bush ... i don't think i need to explain why, although something i find quite disturbing is that one of my friends is in love with him ewwww

6) Drop a dress size

7) be able to speak lots of languages flunetly then i wouldn't have to work so hard at uni :0)

ok i'm going to stop here now otherwise i'll be here all night
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
I was talking about the ineffectiveness os some Martial Arts in a self defense perspective, Ninjitsu for example has lost its clarity over the years and sadly is now another franchise of the McDojos. (A term used for random black belts setting up clubs and teaching incorrect/inaccurate systems).

If Ninjitsu helps you to keep fit, and makes you feel better about your self then go for it!

If you want to learn to defend yourself should trouble ever find you:

Gracie/Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu
The external ground submission art

Muay Thai
The external standup striking art

Full contact sparring is present in both of these combat systems, that is what prepares you for the street.

Ninjitsu is what is known as an internal art, based on using opponents energy/force against them. Sadly, I've seen Muay Thai/BJJ fighters vs Karate/Tae Kwon Do and such and believe me it's not a pretty site.
Oh for God's sakes! If you have seen Naruto, then you will know what I'm talking about. Didn't you see my post on Page 1? I copied it off a Naruto site. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, then let's forget it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (150)
60.73%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.45%
No- I want it (69)
27.94%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads