The Student Room Group

Cambridge interview - what do I wear?

Poll

What gender are you and what are you wearing to your interview at Cambridge?

What is everyone planning to wear for interview?

I was going to wear a suit but Queens' collge said speifically that they do not expect people to wear suits, so i am not sure.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wear whatever you are comfortable in/feels reflects the true you.
I dressed all in black :eek: the interviewers really don't give a damn about what you look like, and sometimes it's a bit embarassing if you turn up better dressed than your interviewer :wink:
Reply 2
As long as you are hygenic it doesn't really matter. And even then for some subjects thats probably not even a requirement
minimo
wear whatever you are comfortable in/feels reflects the true you.
I dressed all in black :eek: the interviewers really don't give a damn about what you look like, and sometimes it's a bit embarassing if you turn up better dressed than your interviewer :wink:

mmmmm it could be really wired if u r in a suit and ur interviewer is not actually.hehehe...I've got a sort of smart but not a suit type of jacket then black trousers.
Reply 4
Oh I've got the best outfit (despite the fact I haven't got interview date) This cute black short sleeved high neck victorian style top with dark grey pinstripe knee length shorts and dark green heels. killa.
Reply 5
catinmoonlight
mmmmm it could be really wired if u r in a suit and ur interviewer is not actually.hehehe...I've got a sort of smart but not a suit type of jacket then black trousers.

If i remember right, my interviewer wore horrid muddy shoes and a mismatched excuse for a suit. The good man shall remain nameless. :biggrin:

--------------

drsmeeth
Oh I've got the best outfit (despite the fact I haven't got interview date) This cute black short sleeved high neck victorian style top with dark grey pinstripe knee length shorts and dark green heels. killa.

shorts?! I tried to be coservative in my attire mwhahahahahaha
Reply 6
KNEE LENGTH shorts. Which is the same as wearing a knee length skirt only I find it more comfortable and I won't run the risk of flashing the interviewer.
Reply 7
drsmeeth
KNEE LENGTH shorts. Which is the same as wearing a knee length skirt only I find it more comfortable and I won't run the risk of flashing the interviewer.

i was kidding :smile:

--------------

how on earth would you manage to flash the interviewer?!
Reply 8
flash my underwear. Oh i don't know, by crossing my legs and it riding up and all those things skirts do.
Reply 9
I generally look like a tramp. I need new clothes. I also need to sort out shoes because my black pointy suede boots and my (fooking awesome) stiletto-heel brown hiking boots (oh yes :wink: ) are too high for me to wear with my *right* leg behaving as it is doing. I wear the same pair of black Converse every day. They're absolutely filthy and full of holes...
...I think I might have to go shopping before December...
Reply 10
im wearing black v neck, grey skirt n heels
Reply 11
I found them all at primark (aka absolute gem, whole outfit for 34 pounds including shoes!)
Reply 12
drsmeeth
I found them all at primark (aka absolute gem, whole outfit for 34 pounds including shoes!)

Sounds good... it means a trip to Manchester though... TK Maxx is good but the stuff in there is a bit too... 'special', shall we say, for an interview...
Reply 13
I'm either wearing my usually tracksuit pants and some sort of sports top or buying some jeans (eww...) and a jumper of some sort.
Don't stress about what you wear. Although some colleges can be a little stricter than others, on the whole it does not matter what you wear. If you want to wear a suit for the "power-dressing" look, wear one. If you want to go casual, wear casual. Smart-casual (which most people seem to opt for), go ahead.

I wore black jeans (actually, I'm wearing them right now!) and a blue shirt. It's not that much of a problem.
Reply 15
i think my mum is set on me wearing a suit but i dont want to be the only one, argh! anyway, when i went to an open day at emmanuel (which ive not applied to) the interviewer said they only wore suits so that candidates who wore suits didnt feel stupid, lol, i know they say they dont care but how true is this?
Reply 16
I finally have my interview date, and am planning my outfit (despite not actually remembering what essays I sent in).

For my test and first interview (which I assume is the academic), I'll probably wear my dove-blue puffball skirt, black pumps and cropped cardigan over a normal grey tee and if its cold, a teal green cropped jacket. Basically for comfort and looking neat if slightly odd.

For the other interview, a pair of grey and black platform heels, a black satin pencil skirt, a normal 3/4-length-sleeve grey tee. And over the top, a full-length teal green coat with cinch waist.

I'm pretty much obsessed with clothes, and this is just a more thought-out version of what I'd wear to school or work.
Reply 17
Good grief...I dressed like a granny
FadetoBlackout - yup, I've seen my interviewers a few times around college/the faculty. One always seems to be well dressed ie blazers/proper trousers...the other i've normally seen in jeans...seriously people it doesn't matter, just look smart,
Personally i like to dress fairly formal, and out of preference did wear a suit. It just made me feel a bit intellectual. In the end it's your brain they are interested in, not your fashion sense. :biggrin:
However, Tom i wouldnt do trackie bottoms...
Reply 18
bob_54321
i think my mum is set on me wearing a suit but i dont want to be the only one, argh! anyway, when i went to an open day at emmanuel (which ive not applied to) the interviewer said they only wore suits so that candidates who wore suits didnt feel stupid, lol, i know they say they dont care but how true is this?

yes thats the same with me! I dont want to be the only one wearing a suit otherwise i'll look like a total prick!
Reply 19
tbh, i'd suggest wear smart casual clothes - i did (and got in). Really it doesn't matter what you wear (within reason of course!), you'll always get the toffs turning up in suits but they're just, well......

On a side note neither of my 2 interviewers wore suits.

Latest

Trending

Trending