Turn on thread page Beta
  • View Poll Results: What gender are you and what are you wearing to your interview at Cambridge?
    Female: Suit
    9.80%
    Female: Jeans and a hoody
    5.88%
    Female: Jeans and a sweater without a hood
    17.65%
    Male: Suit and nice shoes
    41.18%
    Male: Jeans and a hoody
    5.88%
    Male: Jeans and a sweater without a hood
    19.61%

ReputationRep:
    Black trousers and some form of jumper/knitwear on top probs. :P

ReputationRep:
    After debating this very subject with numerous teachers and pupils i have decided
    **drumroll** I AM WEARING A SUIT**
    Underdressing is worst than over dressing.
    I am applying for economics which is to be honest a very businessey subject where i know the tutors wear suits all the time and think it is best if i wear one too.
    Plus since its compulsary to wear them at our school, i am comfortable in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izsushant)
    After debating this very subject with numerous teachers and pupils i have decided
    I am applying for economics which is to be honest a very businessey subject where i know the tutors wear suits all the time and think it is best if i wear one too.
    Fair enough, it's your choice.

Really though, Cambridge judge you on your ACADEMIC potential not your attire!

ReputationRep:
    Mata no! Puffball skirts have to be the greatest fashion crime since ugg boots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    Seconded. Strongly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise Man)
    Fair enough, it's your choice.

Really though, Cambridge judge you on your ACADEMIC potential not your attire!
    I wore a suit, and I'm here. I'm in a similar position to him though - we wore them regularly at school, and it was just what you did for interviews etc, so I was more comfortable in that rather than stressing over which bit of my otherwise rather unfashionable wardrobe I should wear.

If you want to wear a suit, that's fine and it's easy to look good in one. If not, that's equally fine, though I still say dressing smartly can never go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izsushant)
    shall i tell you *exactly* what one of my economics interviewers wore?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm wearing what's essentially me. I lie, because I never dress smart. it's what *I* would wear being smart, not what 10000 other people would wear being smart.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike most people in this thread, I will not wear a skirt. I think the interviewers, although attire doesn't matter so much, would be slightly disturbed should a male show up in a skirt!

I'm going to dress super-casual. Not so casual as to turn up in pyjamas however. I'm going to the interview with the intention of answering their questions and generally having fun. If they don't like me and reject me, fine. I only want to go to Cambridge if they think I'm right for it anyway - so I'm not too worried about what I wear! Jeans it will be. I'll be one of those casually-dressed Economists.

Then again, it's on 5th December. It's already almost freezing temperatures, so by then I will be wrapped up in so many coats and whatnot that they won't even see what I'm wearing underneath! Not only that, but I will also be frozen from trying to navigate around Trinity's huge campus in the rain (it will rain!). Therefore I fully intend to go into the interview room, say "hi", and proceed to sit on the radiator. Should the radiator be of an inconvenient size as to result in my falling off it, striking the floor in a loud fashion, I will get back up and act like nothing happened!

I figure by this time, five to ten minutes may have elapsed and so there is much less time for me to worsen my application!

ReputationRep:
    LOL! You joker.

ReputationRep:
    my bro got into cambridge and apparently he was the only one who turned up wearing a tshirt and jeans.

ReputationRep:
    my bro got into cambridge and apparently he was the only one who turned up wearing a tshirt and jeans.
    Then based on some extensive statistical analysis I have carried out on a set of data containing a few details of one applicant, I am now guaranteed to get in!

However, if I wear just a T-shirt and jeans, I'll be kinda cold. I'll need a de-icer just for myself, as well as a cure for the common cold while I'm there.

ReputationRep:
    caudroy jackets do keep you warm, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    shall i tell you *exactly* what one of my economics interviewers wore?!
    **Waits and listens**
    The three interviewers i talked to at Kings College as well as the numerous others at other universities all wore suits. Therefore i think i will go with my experience.

ReputationRep:
    see above post.
    add mismatched suit and manky trainers = Teaching Fellow.

ReputationRep:
    Is it going to be cold in the interview rooms?

ReputationRep:
    Its a very subtle, tulip-shaped puffball skirt in an unassuming colour. Its not a loud, huge monstrosity (i.e. the 80's version of the item) that means I have to edge through doors sideways. Its a little like this, but I don't think the matte black does the style justice in the Next version.

http://www.next.co.uk/images/Press/P...ballbeauty.jpg

And to be honest, I'm one of those weird people who actually suits a puffball skirt. Trust me, the skirt is tried and tested.

(p.s. I don't wear ugg boots. If that redeems me slightly. Or at all. Or not.)

ReputationRep:
    Is it going to be cold in the interview rooms?
    mine was lovely and cozy and warm mmmm

ReputationRep:
    anyone silly enough to be wandering around cambridge in december in a tshirt should be refused a place on this basis alone most of the fellows rooms i know are friggin freezing, well those in old buildings at any rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    mine was lovely and cozy and warm mmmm
    Well that's okay then. To make us feel better they should also give us hot chocolate, cookies and an offer.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.