Turn on thread page Beta
  • View Poll Results: What gender are you and what are you wearing to your interview at Cambridge?
    Female: Suit
    9.80%
    Female: Jeans and a hoody
    5.88%
    Female: Jeans and a sweater without a hood
    17.65%
    Male: Suit and nice shoes
    41.18%
    Male: Jeans and a hoody
    5.88%
    Male: Jeans and a sweater without a hood
    19.61%

ReputationRep:
    I always think men should shave.

There are about three men in the world who can get away with beards or stubble, and none of them are likely to be being interviewed at Cambridge this December :p:

ReputationRep:
    who?!

--------------

Santa being one I suppose!!

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna go for my nice warm reddy-maroon jumper, and some brown corduroy trousers (no idea on the spelling!), I'v worn a suit... ummm... twice... and a third time on monday... dont like suits... or should I go in full combats? with rifle in case my interview goes to pieces??

ReputationRep:
    Caudroy?
    I think my interviewer would have loved you, wouldn't you agree n9ne?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    who?!

--------------

Santa being one I suppose!!
    Viggo Mortensen (as Aragorn), Joseph Fiennes and Santa. Possibly Jesus too, but nobody really knows what he looked like.

Everybody else must shave. Or I will be displeased. And you don't want that. Muwahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Viggo Mortensen (as Aragorn), Joseph Fiennes and Santa. Possibly Jesus too, but nobody really knows what he looked like.

Everybody else must shave. Or I will be displeased. And you don't want that. Muwahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I went to Downing, there was a guy there (possibly the admissions tutor - wasn't too interested at the time) and he had a HUGE, bordering on amusing beard! Definitely shave guys!

ReputationRep:
    There are about three men in the world who can get away with beards or stubble, and none of them are likely to be being interviewed at Cambridge this December
    Not me then...

But I have shaved recently. not that anyone cares. I made a semi-drunken promise to a girl that I would and then went through with it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I didn;t wear a suit to interviews because I didn't have one. (do now though!) Smart-casual seems to be the way to go. Most guys seem to opt for shirts 9but no ties), fairly smart trousers and maybe a jacket or something. Friend of mine got asked if he rode a motorbike because he was wearing a (imitation!) leather jacket.

I think it really depends on your own point of view as to how smart you want to be. And I do agree with Helen (always a good thing if you want to keep your legs unbroken....) that they don't ban you from wearing a suit, just don't say that you have to go out and buy one. Quick word of advice though... on an earlier thread about a similar subject, most guys said that they wore suits but ditched the jackets for teh second interview.

ReputationRep:
    I always think men should shave.

There are about three men in the world who can get away with beards or stubble, and none of them are likely to be being interviewed at Cambridge this December :p:
    There's a lovely Trinity mathmo with quite a large beard...

ReputationRep:
    And a Clare natsci. And I had one.

ReputationRep:

apparantly i look like jesus , that why i applied at jesus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 555-4823)
    apparantly i look like jesus , that why i applied at jesus
    Seems as good a reason as any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    And a Clare natsci. And I had one.
    I am, however, rather glad that you don't anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they really care what you wear.

When I went to interview at St Catz last December, I was blatantly the only one who had made an effort to look smart and well presented. One boy was at interview in wellington boots, and everyone else was ugly or badly dressed.

There must have been 40 odd there, and some of them must have got offers (infact I know 1 did because he texted me to say he got in).

It's academia, they don't care about clothes really! That might sound *****y, but it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    everyone else was ugly or badly dressed.
    LOL!!
    Interview feedback sent to school:
    "We are sorry to inform you that we will not be making this student an offer, as they are too ugly.
    Tutor for Admissions"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    LOL!!
    Interview feedback sent to school:
    "We are sorry to inform you that we will not be making this student an offer, as they are too ugly.
    Tutor for Admissions"
    Haha. Makes you greatful interviews aren't conducted like that... I'm just plannign on wearing a skirt and warm jumper. Can't think of anything worse than freezing. Oh but with my purple shoes. I love my purple shoes.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is going to dress up as sir Newton :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hoodies allowed? Have got this nice hoody jumper I really like and feel comfortable in...What do you reckon?

Manifest

ReputationRep:
    Does it have anything remotely Satanic across the front of it? Otherwise I imagine it'll be alright. If it has a big picture on the front it might distract the interviewer a bit though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Does it have anything remotely Satanic across the front of it? Otherwise I imagine it'll be alright. If it has a big picture on the front it might distract the interviewer a bit though...
    Nothing satanic. Just addidas and its logo

manifest

ReputationRep:
    Clever slogans might be something to avoid.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.