The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah i'm the same age (started at 21). To be honest, our age really isn't that late as there are many more people on my course that are considerably older than me. Actually, I feel like one of the younger ones sometimes!
Reply 2
Its quite good to see, to be honest I dont think I could of handled university younger, I would of been far too slack!
Reply 3
El Scotto
Its quite good to see, to be honest I dont think I could of handled university younger, I would of been far too slack!

Yeah I agree 100%. After working for 3 years in a well paid but throughly boring job, I am super motivated to get the very best out of my degree. :smile:
Reply 4
Having a boring job does that to you! (I'm one of the youngest on my access course too) I'm glad I've finally got the motivation! (I'll miss the money though)
Reply 5
I am surprised i am not the only one who went the work route too, worked in same sort of thing, well paid but boring. El Scotto - what Uni you applying for?
Reply 6
Economique
I am surprised i am not the only one who went the work route too, worked in same sort of thing, well paid but boring. El Scotto - what Uni you applying for?

I think it is good because it means you have a bit less financial worries when you start university, and being that bit older, are more focused on what you want out of your degree / life.
I am thoroughly worried about my applications for Uni. As I don't have any A levels But I do have an AS B grade, and a National Award in performing arts (merit), which is of no relevance to Law (the course I want to take) whatsoever, but I will blag that at least I will be confident in speaking up in debates and eventually when speaking to clients. I sent of my UCAS applications today, and although I have a lovely reference, I am worried that I won't get a look in because of the no A levels thing even though I am classed as a mature student. Also I am applying to Kent University (medway campus, which does encourage students from non traditional backgrounds to apply) because I have a lovely housing association 3 bed house which I don't want to give up, and I can't exchange it as my boyfriend works in medway and we only just moved here in september, so I am stuck with having to choose Universities through location. Sorry if I am bugging you out, if you have kept reading this far. I think it's all newbie worries and anxieties. Must remember to breathe. :redface:
I'm in a similar position but with different location worries. My worry is that I currently have a council flat and plan to move out and into halls if I get in the only problem is that the lease only covers the academic year so during the summer hols etc I think that I may have to live in BnBs because I can't commute from essex to leeds or other uni's and kinda want to move anyway so am I gonna be homeless outside term time?
My qualifications are in the same league as yours so I am gonna keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
Yay! More young mature students. I'm 22 and on my college course I found that most of the people doing access were in their late 20s, however the few that were 30/40+ were mostly doing teaching or nursing or vocational stuff. I think people of our age make good students as you do have to sacrifice a lot to go to uni, however you're not quite at the babies/marriage stage.
turbochargedk
I'm in a similar position but with different location worries. My worry is that I currently have a council flat and plan to move out and into halls if I get in the only problem is that the lease only covers the academic year so during the summer hols etc I think that I may have to live in BnBs because I can't commute from essex to leeds or other uni's and kinda want to move anyway so am I gonna be homeless outside term time?
My qualifications are in the same league as yours so I am gonna keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Why don;t you do a mutual exchange to an area closer to your chosen Uni. That way you can keep your council place. With cheaper rent. and then you won't be homeless during holidays and such.
Reply 11
hey im applying for 2006 and im gonna be 24 when i start but im not to worried
I am 23 and the youngest person in my group. I also agree that if I had done Uni when I was around 18 i would not have had the capacity to achieve results.

As for:
turbochargedk
so am I gonna be homeless outside term time?

Some Universities will help you find accomodation for out of term times, best to check with the Universities you have applied to before any real worries kick in :smile:
Reply 13
Hey.

im guna be 24 in sept and going to uni as mature student in sept. gunna do Marketing at Portsmouth. I never did A levels, i got a Btec national diploma and have been working with horses - yet so far have 3 unconditional uni offers for sept, so its possible.

I may be 24, but i feel years younger - cant wait for uni, but will miss having an income, but just gotta keep thinking how good an income id get with a proper job after uni. woohoo cant wait.:smile:
Reply 14
jem21
Hey.

im guna be 24 in sept and going to uni as mature student in sept. gunna do Marketing at Portsmouth. I never did A levels, i got a Btec national diploma and have been working with horses - yet so far have 3 unconditional uni offers for sept, so its possible.

I may be 24, but i feel years younger - cant wait for uni, but will miss having an income, but just gotta keep thinking how good an income id get with a proper job after uni. woohoo cant wait.:smile:

I wont miss work for a couple of years!

With all the student loans and things it isnt too bad, I worked out that the basic income per week would be (including money for accomadation) something like £160 a week, Inc maintence grant and things, then with a part time job on top I can survive. also will get a better income after so it sorta evens itself out...

Hopefully 18year olds wont annoy me too much.
Reply 15
I went to see Staffs on Wednesday.

Excuse my french, but my head is now completely ****ed! I am 23 this year, but I felt really, really old! As a result of working in a professional, harsh business environment since school, the students all looked so young, I asked about mature students, and the lad gave me a funny look and said...oh yea those...we had one once.

I think we have to remember that the amount of mature students on here, is relative (and probably a little higher) to the amount in Uni's - we can reassure ourselves on here, but it is more than likely that we will be with 17/18 y/o's for the majority of the time. And that makes me feel a little old.

I really don't know what to do now.
Reply 16
MatHudson
I went to see Staffs on Wednesday.

Excuse my french, but my head is now completely ****ed! I am 23 this year, but I felt really, really old! As a result of working in a professional, harsh business environment since school, the students all looked so young, I asked about mature students, and the lad gave me a funny look and said...oh yea those...we had one once.

I think we have to remember that the amount of mature students on here, is relative (and probably a little higher) to the amount in Uni's - we can reassure ourselves on here, but it is more than likely that we will be with 17/18 y/o's for the majority of the time. And that makes me feel a little old.

I really don't know what to do now.

I dont think its relative, from what i've heard from people its quite common to have matureys in uni...

if it is full of kids, i'm planning on taking a part time job somewhere anyway so I have normal people to speak to! lol
socialbunny20
Why don;t you do a mutual exchange to an area closer to your chosen Uni. That way you can keep your council place. With cheaper rent. and then you won't be homeless during holidays and such.

I haven't really enjoyed the experience, I mean I do have some decent neighbors but I also have screaming neighbours, harrassment and shed getting broken into type probs. Frankly I can't wait to escape that. Oh and the only mutual exchanges I can find are people with 1 bed flats like mine who want two bed flats or houses. But I see your point.
law:portal
I am 23 and the youngest person in my group. I also agree that if I had done Uni when I was around 18 i would not have had the capacity to achieve results.

As for:

Some Universities will help you find accomodation for out of term times, best to check with the Universities you have applied to before any real worries kick in :smile:

Thanks for the tip I'll ask them.
if one tries to remain in touch with everyone than age is not an hindering factor :biggrin::

Latest

Trending

Trending