This discussion is closed.
munchie_rox
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
watchin a program about all these teens who chose to stay abstinant (sp??) until their wedding day! This seemed a more American thing, what does everyone else think?
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good for them. It takes a very strong person to not conform like that.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd respect any1 that wanted! I have no reason to.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the policy has led to more teenager pregancies in texas i thought - not good way to prevent it better to have decent sex education which teaches children to use condoms i would of thought another example to the evangleicals governing america in a bad way!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by munchie_rox)
watchin a program about all these teens who chose to stay abstinant (sp??) until their wedding day! This seemed a more American thing, what does everyone else think?
If that's what they want to do then good luck to them. If you don't then good luck to you lol - I dont think it really matters like that.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i saw in one of teh broadsheets about 4 years ago that these 2 sister were going to get a huge payout from their grandad's will but only on the condition that they hadn'y lived with a man before mariage and that they were virgins (not sure how they were going to prove that) anyway they were going on in the paper about how they didn't mind waiting etc. At first glance you would think fine if thats what they want. |ONly thing is despite claiming in a national papaer, one of the sisters was known as a bit of a slut round town and there was no dount that she was not a virgin.
Iain_2004
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can no one else read between the lines and see the disturbing Neo-Fascist agenda behind this campaign. Its not about sexual health, AIDS, or Christian values! If you can brainwash teenagers to abstain from sex you can convince them to do or accept anything. The parallels with propaganda in Germany of the early 1930s are terrifying. Look at the big picture! Theres a concentration camp in Guantanemo Bay in Cuba and a massive rise in anti-Muslim sentiment in Britain and America since September 11th.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if i met the most fantastic girl and we were getting married etc.. if she wanted to stay "pure" then i'd definitely respect her decision to do so
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iain_2004)
Can no one else read between the lines and see the disturbing Neo-Fascist agenda behind this campaign. Its not about sexual health, AIDS, or Christian values! If you can brainwash teenagers to abstain from sex you can convince them to do or accept anything. The parallels with propaganda in Germany of the early 1930s are terrifying. Look at the big picture! Theres a concentration camp in Guantanemo Bay in Cuba and a massive rise in anti-Muslim sentiment in Britain and America since September 11th.
wow wow wow slow man, slow! I agree basically: the campaing is not useful in any way, I think it is a lot better to go into a marriage with some sexual experience.
But how do you compare it to Germany early 30s? They encouraged women to have a lot of babies!!!!
And the muslims? Popular topic in this forum but I do not really get the link
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
the policy has led to more teenager pregancies in texas i thought - not good way to prevent it better to have decent sex education which teaches children to use condoms i would of thought another example to the evangleicals governing america in a bad way!
I also read that but I think it is as you say due to the systematic abolishment of sex education and replacing it by ADAM AND EVE !!! I cannot get over that fact, happened in Kansas
Undisclosed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why wait if you not religious? If you are, good luck to you!
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
i saw in one of teh broadsheets about 4 years ago that these 2 sister were going to get a huge payout from their grandad's will but only on the condition that they hadn'y lived with a man before mariage and that they were virgins (not sure how they were going to prove that) anyway they were going on in the paper about how they didn't mind waiting etc. At first glance you would think fine if thats what they want. |ONly thing is despite claiming in a national papaer, one of the sisters was known as a bit of a slut round town and there was no dount that she was not a virgin.
i wish i got paid for not having sex !
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Good for them. It takes a very strong person to not conform like that.
I presume you are not suggesting I am a weak person for not being a virgin.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think the idea of abstaining till marriage is a very sweet and romantic thing to do - very difficult for most people, but I think I'd prefer waiting personally and I'm not even religious. It gives time for your relationship to develop and also work out the motives of your loved one.
LA$_VEGA$
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah, but u cld get people marrying, for the sole reason to HAVE sex....
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LA$_VEGA$)
yeah, but u cld get people marrying, for the sole reason to HAVE sex....
I think I'd be able to tell somehow....it's more likely you get people together for that than get people marrying for it. It would be very silly if they went through all that just to sleep with that person when they could probably have any other person with no ties before. Divorce wouldn't be that easy thereafter so that can't be the reason anyone would marry anyway. Marrying for sex would be ridiculous as it defeats the whole point of abstinence!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it shows you are strong willed and have a strong belief in what marriage means to you, that is good. but what they are promoting is just christian ethics and not nessecarily in the best interests of people. to negate proper and broad sexual education is madness.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the problem comes when you promote abstinence (possiblt damaging to relationships) INSTEAD of safe sex, which the bush administration refuses to promote. this, i would suggest, is why the number of texas teenage pregnancies is rising.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
I think the idea of abstaining till marriage is a very sweet and romantic thing to do - very difficult for most people, but I think I'd prefer waiting personally and I'm not even religious. It gives time for your relationship to develop and also work out the motives of your loved one.
ok, you get married and you have sex. you find that one of you has problems sexually which is limited to you as a couple. sex is a strong part of any relationship. to wait till your married and find problems is surely bad
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do think doing it on religious accounts without personal feelings of consent is completely ridiculous. If anything, people should be doing it without a dogmatic foundation, those based on their moral and safety principles..those of value to them. Not their religious ones which wouldn't promote freedom of abstinence at all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads