Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If so, I want your opninion. I live on a farm and have applied for four campus unis and two city ones (Edinburgh and Durham) and my question is... Did you go to a relatively rural uni, or did you go to a city one and if so were you happy there or would you rather have been some were more rural?

I hope that makes sense - it made sense in my head but I couldn't seem to write it!! LOL!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not from the proper proper countryside, but I am from a small town in what is generally a very rural county. I'm now at Cambridge, which everyone from London etc thinks is a village, but which I see as quite a big town (especially when you venture outside the centre!) All my other places were also smallish cities (though bigger than Cambridge - Southampton, Nottingham, Newcastle) - I just don't think I could cope with somewhere really big like Manchester, much less London itself! Durham's not really a city by the way

I do sort of miss the Shropshire countryside (fenlands are horrifically flat and dull) but the university more than makes up for it and the city isn't too big.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in a small village, not really the same as living on a farm but i did have the countryside literally on my doorstep.

I havn't found being away from it a problem, the only bad things are the car exhaust fumes you get when walking along the road. Being in a place with lots to do seems more important than the countryside for me.

Besides i can get out in the fresh air and go for walks etc when i go back home.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, Durham is a city, it's just a small one.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.I'm from Yorkshire....from a little village about 10 miles from York and I've moved to London. It's a lot different but I haven't found it hard adjusting as I visited London a lot anyway. It was just the traffic and the busyness that got me...it's impossible to cross a road...lol.

But at the same time,it's nice to have Sainsbury's and high street shops etc just around the corner and not a 45 minute bus ride away.

ReputationRep:
    At home, I was literally 100 metres from miles of countryside if that counts. The adjustment to living in a city wasnt really that hard because its Norwich, which isnt excatly as busy as London. Saying that, i've allways been more of a city person than the slower country/town type person.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any advice as I'm not at uni till next year...

Just wanted to say I know how you feel, I've been wondering about that too. I live in a village in the peak district surrounded by wonderful sheep! But I'm at sixth form in Nottingham- hour and a half each way on the bus, so I've sort of adapted to cities abit now.

ReputationRep:
    I live in quite a small village at home, and I'm at uni in Cardiff - a capital city. I much prefer it here, there's so much more to do, and you can walk every where. I do miss the whole community spirit thing sometimes, but if I went back home now, without my car, I dunno how I'd be able to cope!

ReputationRep:
    i lived in a really small town where everyone knows everyones business and the nearest city was an hour away on the bus. so i decided to go to uni in salford, now ive got the best of two big cities-salford and manchester, imo its been the making of me, cos i was never satisfied with my home town, there was nothing, there was one nightclub and it was crap, since ive moved ive never been happier.

ReputationRep:
    i live 'out in the sticks', which was why i was unsure about going to a city university..i cant imagine myself in somwhere like leeds :eek: its just so big and full of people, i'd freak out! i need a compromise, somewhere busier than where i live (thats not hard) but not like leeds/manchester/london - campus uni's like swansea and sussex are a good place for countrified types i think.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in a villages all my life until uni.

I miss random people saying 'hello' or 'good morning' to you when you're out walking. That's about all that's specifically negative - that, and I seem to have a habit of almost getting run over every day by cars.

You'll survive.

ReputationRep:
    i had grown up in a village in Devon, which is surrounded by country and the nearest city is a 1 hours drive. decided to come to edinburgh university because i think it's important i experienced 'city life'. it's really nice being able to walk to shops, and not having to drive miles and miles! though like people said, i find crossing roads rather tricky! and it's strange walking along in the mornings without people saying 'good morning' and stuff. oh well. i don't see why 'countrified' people would think they should go to the more 'countrified' unis. surely it's important to experience a different way of life? if you choose a city uni, you will have the best of both worlds. a lively environment where there is LOADS to do and everything is on your doorstep during term times, and really pretty, peaceful countryside with clean air and a friendly community during the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is an awesome compromise in my opinion. It has a busy high-street and shopping area, but some fantastic views and surrounding Countryside. Even the City itself is very picturesque and even though it is a City, it does give the feeling of being quite a small homely place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the counrty (I live on a lil lane with hardly any cars coming down and in the middle of nowhere, multimap only shows a road in the middle of fields when you do a postcode search) and go to Uni in Aberystwyth.
    It took me a bit to get used to the noise, as I'm used to hearing nothing at night. It's quite a small campus uni which is nice so I know quite a few people that i'll see walking about the place to say hi to, so in that respect it's kinda like home where you know everybody that lives on the lane and say hi/wave whenever you see them.
    I did apply to Manchester, and although I love Mancheser the city, I just could not see myself living there for 3 years as all the traffic/cars/buildings/roads would've got to me, I like my green spaces

ReputationRep:
    WOW! Thankyou so much for all your replies, you are all so helpful!

I think the points about the compromise - city in term time and country in hoidays is an excellent point and I think I would really love to be able to walk places and go and do stuff.

Now all I need to do it to convince Durham / Edinburgh that they want to offer me a place!!

ReputationRep:
    I come from a small town, in my region the biggest city is the same size as Oxford, so for me here it's quite an exciting and lively place. At the same time it's not London, which is something I'm happy about as I think it would drive me crazy to live in a huge city, I would miss all the green spaces and countryside too much.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a big city, how do you know whether you will enjoy it? It will give you a wide range of experiences and you will be better off for it as a person at the end.

Big cities can be unwelcoming but as a student you are probably in the group that is more likely to feel welcome. You will end up probably with a load of other students and they will all feel exactly the same way. You also get the opportunity to do far more things, see live music whether your taste be classical or rock, better choice in food (think curry mile in manchester), meet a wider range of people ect.

Also if you do want to go somewhere "nice" then also consider the south coast as there are some really good unis along it.

Comment are more aimed at people who havent decided.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 'countryfied' person - I've always lived in the same area in Devon, very rural, very used to looking out of the window and seeing my horses, ducks, dogs, cats, cows etc, knowing everyone's business, knowing everyone full stop...But as someone else said, I 'need' to go to a city and experience living there - I can always come home and it'll definitely give me something to aspire to.

The funny thing about me is, I love having to drive 30 mins to get to a small town, where the biggest shop is marks and sparks and I love having to drive an hour to get to Exeter! However, at uni I won't always have a car and the whole part of going is to experience something new, so I'll be leaving my wellies at home, quite prepared to bankrupt myself to enable me to have my first house in a quaint little village like I am now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.