This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is it true you can only get catered halls at £110 a week? My sister wants to go to Sheffeild but simply cannot afford it at them prices. I just can't help thinking this can't be true.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Is it true you can only get catered halls at £110 a week? My sister wants to go to Sheffeild but simply cannot afford it at them prices. I just can't help thinking this can't be true.
Look here for all the different hall fees: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/housing/h.../hallfees.html

By my calculations - the cheapest single study room in the cheapest hall with no phone on a 30 week contract worked out at....£89.90 per week! Shared and shared study rooms are cheaper - dunno if your sis wants that or not though.

Check it out for yourself though. All those fees are for the halls with food : - http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/housing/halls/info.html
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Riz*)
Look here for all the different hall fees: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/housing/h.../hallfees.html

By my calculations - the cheapest single study room in the cheapest hall with no phone on a 30 week contract worked out at....£89.90 per week! Shared and shared study rooms are cheaper - dunno if your sis wants that or not though.

Check it out for yourself though. All those fees are for the halls with food : - http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/housing/halls/info.html
Thanks that pretty much sounds like what my sister was saying. She has decided she dosn't like the cause at Lancaster where she wanted to go to.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks that pretty much sounds like what my sister was saying. She has decided she dosn't like the cause at Lancaster where she wanted to go to.
Ask Expression, byb3 or Viviki when they are online, i'm sure they'll be able to help!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Ask Expression, byb3 or Viviki when they are online, i'm sure they'll be able to help!
Sheffield or Hallam?
I'm sure I dont pay that much I'm in self catered halls and I'm sure I'm in the more expensive ones.
You can live out for as little as 35 quid a week. Let me consult my accommodation book and I will get back to you.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Sheffield or Hallam?
I'm sure I dont pay that much I'm in self catered halls and I'm sure I'm in the more expensive ones.
You can live out for as little as 35 quid a week. Let me consult my accommodation book and I will get back to you.
ok the rate it gives for mine is £2048.20 except thats for 2002/2003 I think I pay slightly more now and bills are included heating etc.I think I pay about £2400 but I'm not 100% sure. Thats catered in Broad Lane Court which is quite nice except for it being in the redlight district bit. its not too bad though.
Its £100 compulsary extra for internet connection whether you use it or not and you get a phone in your bedroom too for which you have a phonecard that you can put credit on
I dont have to move ot in the holidays so it must be a 38 week contract.
There are 6 rooms in a flat one is ensuite so you are sharing 2 showers and 2 loos between 5 people and have a sink in your room. i make it somewhere between 65 and 70 quid a week self catered. The kitchens have oven microwave but you have to provide your own kettles and toasters it might be worth bringing a kettle and then waiting to see whether someone else has a toaster or buying between you. I spend less than 10 quid a week on food.

Hope thats helpful.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
:eek: :eek: :eek: £100 compulsary fee for internet connection? Even if you don't have a computer?!

Mine's completely free!
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
:eek: :eek: :eek: £100 compulsary fee for internet connection? Even if you don't have a computer?!

Mine's completely free!
yup I think its £100 its no more than that anyway. I paid at the start of term cant remember now. Its very fast though.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
ok the rate it gives for mine is £2048.20 except thats for 2002/2003 I think I pay slightly more now and bills are included heating etc.I think I pay about £2400 but I'm not 100% sure. Thats catered in Broad Lane Court which is quite nice except for it being in the redlight district bit. its not too bad though.
Its £100 compulsary extra for internet connection whether you use it or not and you get a phone in your bedroom too for which you have a phonecard that you can put credit on
I dont have to move ot in the holidays so it must be a 38 week contract.
There are 6 rooms in a flat one is ensuite so you are sharing 2 showers and 2 loos between 5 people and have a sink in your room. i make it somewhere between 65 and 70 quid a week self catered. The kitchens have oven microwave but you have to provide your own kettles and toasters it might be worth bringing a kettle and then waiting to see whether someone else has a toaster or buying between you. I spend less than 10 quid a week on food.

Hope thats helpful.
Yeah thanks it was, she wants to Shefield, she has suggested Harlem but she hasn't even put that on her UCAS forms, and considering she has offers from York, Warick, Shefield, Manchester etc it would be daft to just to go there for the cheap accodomation. I think the problem is my sister is too damn fusy and seems to want her own toilet. She seems to think a lot of universities have a toilet in your own bedroom (en suite) but just share the kitchen etc.
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah thanks it was, she wants to Shefield, she has suggested Harlem but she hasn't even put that on her UCAS forms, and considering she has offers from York, Warick, Shefield, Manchester etc it would be daft to just to go there for the cheap accodomation. I think the problem is my sister is too damn fusy and seems to want her own toilet. She seems to think a lot of universities have a toilet in your own bedroom (en suite) but just share the kitchen etc.
Its an extra £400 a yer to have ensuite in my hall. I dont think its worth it the loos get cleaned once a week here and you never have to queue.
nabzp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've heard that they're adding new en suites for Sept 2004 in self-catering, does anybody know which places?
bean4ian
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you're going to sheffield, you're in for a treat! its such a great city.i live here and love it, will defianately return after my degree. not going to uni here though cos i feel i need to try somewhere else. but to go to sheffield afresh- you'll love it! decent shops, excellent bars and night clubs, and a generally good city to be in. u can be in the busy city centre one minute then go out to the country for a fantastic pub lunch, then back into town that night to get hammered at a number of great bars. its easy to get around, and got a really great buzz about it! plus the uni has a great reputation! if u want any recomendations of the best places (and cheapest seeing as we're soon to be students!) then just let me know??
hope u like it as much as i do!
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bean4ian)
if you're going to sheffield, you're in for a treat! its such a great city.i live here and love it, will defianately return after my degree. not going to uni here though cos i feel i need to try somewhere else. but to go to sheffield afresh- you'll love it! decent shops, excellent bars and night clubs, and a generally good city to be in. u can be in the busy city centre one minute then go out to the country for a fantastic pub lunch, then back into town that night to get hammered at a number of great bars. its easy to get around, and got a really great buzz about it! plus the uni has a great reputation! if u want any recomendations of the best places (and cheapest seeing as we're soon to be students!) then just let me know??
hope u like it as much as i do!
I also live in Sheff and it's a wicked city. Like you, I want to go away for uni but I would certainly consider coming back after. It's one of the friendliest places I've been. Even though it's a big city everyone's really friendly. And nowhere else (probably) do you get bus drivers calling lads 'love' or 'duck'. God bless Yorkshire
bean4ian
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
I also live in Sheff and it's a wicked city. Like you, I want to go away for uni but I would certainly consider coming back after. It's one of the friendliest places I've been. Even though it's a big city everyone's really friendly. And nowhere else (probably) do you get bus drivers calling lads 'love' or 'duck'. God bless Yorkshire

you are so right! big up (most-but not all) the bus drivers!
u cant really beat sheffield for how much it has to offer! i love it, and yes its so friendly- u feel like u almost know everyone, i love the way if u go to a shop or cafe a few times u get recognised and u feel like a 'regular' and kind of celeb when shop keepers greet u with a beaming smile knowing uve been there before. its just a really personable place! go sheffield! where u thinking of goin to uni and to do what??
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bean4ian)
you are so right! big up (most-but not all) the bus drivers!
u cant really beat sheffield for how much it has to offer! i love it, and yes its so friendly- u feel like u almost know everyone, i love the way if u go to a shop or cafe a few times u get recognised and u feel like a 'regular' and kind of celeb when shop keepers greet u with a beaming smile knowing uve been there before. its just a really personable place! go sheffield! where u thinking of goin to uni and to do what??
Law at Manchester. I want to stay in a big city - I'm definitely a city boy. Manchester is a great uni- very highly regarded (8th for Law according to the Guardian) and I love how all the unis are grouped around one main road - loads of busses.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads