This discussion is closed.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
I thought it was quite odd Johns got questions whose answers were the names of the three terms in Oxford (we have different names in Cam :P)... not exactly difficult for them really.

The guy on the left for Reading was pretty good.

Alaric.
Good? If i knew ten percent of what he knew tonight then id be a genius! I think i got 4 questions before they did, not much hope of me been on the programme when i get to university.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
my brother was on the leeds team- the only 1st year. unfortunately they didn't qualify (like i said earlier there is a disproportionate number of northern teams permitted to qualify) + he can't be on it next year because he will be in america when they film + then the yearafter he will prob miss qualifying cos he'll styill eb in the US.

lou xxx
i thought first years couldn't be on it because you qualify for the next year (i.e. if you are in the first year when you qualify, you will be in 2nd year by the time that it is recorded)
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i thought first years couldn't be on it because you qualify for the next year (i.e. if you are in the first year when you qualify, you will be in 2nd year by the time that it is recorded)
yeah he was the only 1st year to qualify, but yes he would have been 2nd year by the time it was filmed.

lou xxx
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The question about John O'Groats and Lands End was ridiculously easy do you not think? I did quite well this week, the whole part on House of Lords and the Reform Bills is covered by the Higher History syllabus so I got them pretty quickly!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I love UC....but the other half hates it and it clashes with enterprise so I let him win and watch star trek instead (although I'm usually cooking at that time anyway) I wish they'd repeat it on digital.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lololol yeh i saw that bit where the team capt of reading jus like had her back to the botany person and ignored her answers - and they turned out to be right! thought it was quite unfair that the reading team was made up of all phD ppl and the ox team was all ungergrads! did Jesus college ox win?
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
humm and yeh sorry but the st johns ppl were SOOOOOOOOOOOO geeky! hehehehe was soooooo amusing!
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by neildm)
I think they give Oxford, Cambridge and London a team per college cos they'd be far too strong otherwise.
but the london thing is more vague, because they are self-contained colleges anyway, unlike oxford colleges which are all part of "The University Of Oxford".
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Usually when I'm at home I watch it.

My mam, me and my dad usually get around 40% of the answers right, with my mam getting around half of them.

My dad left school at 16 and he still amazes me when he gets some of them right.

I usually do really bad if it is an Arty week, where they ask about authors of books where I have no idea. When they have no science based students on the board you seem to get little science questions. I think my record is about 10 questions right in 1 episode. I doubt I will ever beat that again.

Adam
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i ususally get all the physicsy and mathsy questions right.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i ususally get all the physicsy and mathsy questions right.
I get about 50% of them, sometimes when jeremy paxman does a maths question I turn off after the 5th word because he goes too fast for my brain to take in.

Adam
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
I get about 50% of them, sometimes when jeremy paxman does a maths question I turn off after the 5th word because he goes too fast for my brain to take in.

Adam
I like the ones where he shows all these scientifical symbols (in the picture rounds) like elements otr constants or equations and all these artsy students are completely clueless.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I tend to get literature/arts questions right, occaisionally, and some current affairs too.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Has anyone else noticed that they have a huge number of questions about French Mathematicians/Biologists/Chemists? This week there were two questions about French Mathematicians and it seems like every week they come up (esp. Mathematicians).
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Has anyone else noticed that they have a huge number of questions about French Mathematicians/Biologists/Chemists? This week there were two questions about French Mathematicians and it seems like every week they come up (esp. Mathematicians).
that's because there are a lot of french mathematicians. in the 19th and early 20th century France led the way in mathematics.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, i'm pretty good at it. I mean, i can't answer most of the specilist questions, but most of the more general ones i can get (except about art, i'm really not into it), and sometimes i get the ridiculously hard ones right for no obvious reason, which is funny.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads