Is it weird to be bored of university life?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Anonymous because I know people on here and don't want to deal with them knowing about this yet.

I have three months left of my four year university course. I study law but have a grad scheme lined up for a business related job. I have become really bored of law and just disinterested in university because of it. I go to Manchester and had an awesome first few years but now everything is dragging and I just want to get into work and have aproper job. I only have 6 hours of lectures and seminars a week which i think is ridiculous. I should get a first/2:1 but I am a bit worried about how my exams will go if I find the work so boring.

Essentially, is it weird that i have now become bored of university life and want to get a job? I have really enjoyed it and have made a lot of friends, but it is getting to the point where you can only have so many drunken nights out and write so many essays!

Does anyone else feel like this in final year?
jonny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It just sounds like you are ready for the real world.
LooCee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel like this and I'm in first year! But I'm different because I've already been out in the real world and had a job and I'm back at uni to become more qualified in something I had already started working in and I'm desperate to get back to actually doing the job rather than just learning about it! A lot of people will be feeling the same as you.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 17
Report 9 years ago
I'm in first year and I got bored of it on like the second day.
chrislpp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Better party your ass off whether you like it or not, whilst your young, have the freedom to, and best thing is, society won't judge you. If you're bored now, wait til you work 9-5 and get a measly holiday once a year.

Your call.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
lol, this. What a shock the people dying to go to university as if it's the best thing in the universe will get.
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
yeah

mang.

also, university isn't fun anyway

unless by fun you mean OMG TEH PARTIEZ OMG LOL SO REBELLIOUS OMG SO EDGY LOL NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD HAS GOTTEN DRUNK BEFORE WE'RE SO KEWL AND ICONOCLASTIC LOLOLERLlkJLGLKJDFKLDJF-STRANGLED BY PEDROBEAR-

so your entire view of university as 'fun' is coloured by those kind of (TEDIOUS, TIRESOME, GENERIC) people for years

then you get there and it's like

ummm

kay.

r33l discussion
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 17
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pedrobear)
yeah

mang.

unless by fun you mean OMG TEH PARTIEZ OMG LOL SO REBELLIOUS OMG SO EDGY LOL NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD HAS GOTTEN DRUNK BEFORE WE'RE SO KEWL AND ICONOCLASTIC LOLOLERLlkJLGLKJDFKLDJF-STRANGLED BY PEDROBEAR-

so your entire view of university as 'fun' is coloured by those kind of (TEDIOUS, TIRESOME, GENERIC) people for years

ummm

kay.

r33l discussion
real talk
Georgiahoneybee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not weird at all, I feel the same way. I'm in my fourth year, so most of my friends graduated last year. My best friend is still about and my flatmates are lovely, but I'm just ready to move on and start working. I guess it's slightly different because I still love my course, but I'm just ready to do it for real now. The only advice I can give you is what I'm trying to do myself, just put your head down and get on with it. Do your best because really the rest of the year will fly by but your results will stick with you forever! Chin up!
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah

mang.

ummm

kay.

r33l discussion
It's not completely boring but I agree with most of what you're saying, the whole getting to know new people and all kinds of people is exciting for a few weeks... then everyone realises they're not bothered to talk to anyone or make new friends unless they're drunk or drinking at night unfortunately

I find it interesting that the people that go out all the time, clubbing week after week etc almost exclusively tend to be the MOST dull, generic, boring types of people at Uni bar none, the 'weird' or niche students generally always talk about more interesting or relevant things I find

the uber socials are talking about what happened last night... or some drama... or celebrity gossip (to be fair, I talk about that too) but you get my point I hope

it's like "ohhh we got sooo wasted last night" wow, you're a barrel of fun aren't you? You're so unbelievably boring, seriously, you're interrupting me watch paint dry, which by the way is a much more interesting experience
Pedrobear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
I find it interesting that the people that go out all the time, clubbing week after week etc almost exclusively tend to be the MOST dull, generic, boring types of people at Uni bar none
100% correct.

The worst part is that in their heads they believe they live some exotic, wild, 'edgy' lifestyle when they're really just clones of their friends and every other halfarsed student in the country.

omg teh vodka teh facebook omg earth-shattering events right here mang
Elf.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anonymous because I know people on here and don't want to deal with them knowing about this yet. If not Anon then please delete.

I have three months left of my four year university course. I study law but have a grad scheme lined up for a business related job. I have become really bored of law and just disinterested in university because of it. I go to Manchester and had an awesome first few years but now everything is dragging and I just want to get into work and have aproper job. I only have 6 hours of lectures and seminars a week which i think is ridiculous. I should get a first/2:1 but I am a bit worried about how my exams will go if I find the work so boring.

Essentially, is it weird that i have now become bored of university life and want to get a job? I have really enjoyed it and have made a lot of friends, but it is getting to the point where you can only have so many drunken nights out and write so many essays!

Does anyone else feel like this in final year?
If you've only got three months left, I'd advise finishing it off - seeing it through!
I can see where this feeling would come from but surely you can finish what you started for the long term? Hope this makes sense
Soph1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep I feel like this a bit - Im at the end of my third year, I'm not bored of the people at all, but the whole lecture/essay thing - yep I'm bored of it and feel ready myself to enter the 'real world' =]
Elf.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not completely boring but I agree with most of what you're saying, the whole getting to know new people and all kinds of people is exciting for a few weeks... then everyone realises they're not bothered to talk to anyone or make new friends unless they're drunk or drinking at night unfortunately

I find it interesting that the people that go out all the time, clubbing week after week etc almost exclusively tend to be the MOST dull, generic, boring types of people at Uni bar none, the 'weird' or niche students generally always talk about more interesting or relevant things I find

the uber socials are talking about what happened last night... or some drama... or celebrity gossip (to be fair, I talk about that too) but you get my point I hope

it's like "ohhh we got sooo wasted last night" wow, you're a barrel of fun aren't you? You're so unbelievably boring, seriously, you're interrupting me watch paint dry, which by the way is a much more interesting experience
This made me laugh :')
exactly how i feel.
And I haven't even made it to university yet!!!
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
lol, this. What a shock the people dying to go to university as if it's the best thing in the universe will get.
It kinda is

I mean I moan about it, but when you think about it, it's such an easy life

You're in for what like 6-12 hours a week? Cheap nights out, meeting randomers and chatting to people from all walks of life... Getting interest free loans that you only have to pay back when you earn enough.

I mean yeah I moan about essays and stuff, but really it's like getting paid to sit around doing nothing at times...
The_resurrection
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Looks to me like you're jealous you don't fit in.
lukejoshjedi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
100% correct.

The worst part is that in their heads they believe they live some exotic, wild, 'edgy' lifestyle when they're really just clones of their friends and every other halfarsed student in the country.

omg teh vodka teh facebook omg earth-shattering events right here mang
yeah exactly, not to get into a too generalising spate here, not everyone that is highly extroverted and really social is like that buut it's often the case, just from my experiences and the friends I have anyway

Lol! and anyway, Jack > Vodka (any kind, excluding wkd for me). Just a personal thing :cool:
lukejoshjedi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The_resurrection)
Looks to me like you're jealous you don't fit in.
Maybe I don't, with the people that are out clubbing every week but nah I'm not really jealous. That's their thing y'know, I'm not a big fan of clubbing anyway so I'm not dieing to go
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
It kinda is

I mean I moan about it, but when you think about it, it's such an easy life

You're in for what like 6-12 hours a week? Cheap nights out, meeting randomers and chatting to people from all walks of life... Getting interest free loans that you only have to pay back when you earn enough.

I mean yeah I moan about essays and stuff, but really it's like getting paid to sit around doing nothing at times...
I can see the appeal of doing nothing all day (am lying in bed right now) but tbh, it's a kinda relaxed "this is nice" feeling, not OMG CANNOT WAIT TO GO TO UNI OH HELL YEAH THIS **** IS AMAZING BEST THING EVERRRRRRRRRRR.
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
I can see the appeal of doing nothing all day (am lying in bed right now) but tbh, it's a kinda relaxed "this is nice" feeling, not OMG CANNOT WAIT TO GO TO UNI OH HELL YEAH THIS **** IS AMAZING BEST THING EVERRRRRRRRRRR.
Well yeah, I guess but is any part of life like that looool
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (181)
28.64%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.18%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.07%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
6.01%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise