If top-up fees get the go ahead then.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
it goes to show that MPs are a complete and utter waste.
They're suppose to stick up for the people's interests...but they're bloody well not!!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
They're suppose to stick up for the people's interests...but they're bloody well not!!
Well suggest an alternative then! - Univerisities need funding from somewhere!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not another top-up fees thread. Can't you just find one of the old ones and add to it (by old I mean yesterday).
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, it suggests that the majority of MPs want to give universities funding and turn students into investors...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do agree universities need more money and that students should pay for it. I just think that schemes like Aimhigher and the 50% target should be scrapped and some money saved from that.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Not another top-up fees thread. Can't you just find one of the old ones and add to it (by old I mean yesterday).
Yes and if he is going to start a thread, he should give reasons for his opinions and suggest an alternative idea.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's just something people on here feel extremely strongly about. Especially myself, as they'll be coming into effect for 2006 entry to university which is when I'll be going. Unless I take a gap year, but I haven't got a clue what I'd do or where I'd get the money from.
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are sum people out there who support them, more than you think, i dont but i know sum who do
edufly
Rep:
?
Sorry but not every1 (inc. myself) is aware of other similar threads!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Yes and if he is going to start a thread, he should give reasons for his opinions and suggest an alternative idea.
True, he doesn't appear to have provided any justification of his opinions other than "MPs are a waste of time!".
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry but not every1 (inc. myself) is aware of other similar threads!
Not a problem. The only reason that I care so much is that I made a lot of valid (and long) arguments on yesterday's thread, and I don't want to have to type it all out again.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not a problem. The only reason that I care so much is that I made a lot of valid (and long) arguments on yesterday's thread, and I don't want to have to type it all out again.
whitey, which universities did you apply to?
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I fully support the top-up fees even though they will cause me to get into considerable extra debt.

The reason is that I recognise that univerisities need more funding and that I should have to pay for a good education. Since I am going into univerisity with a clear career path in mind, I know that I will benefit financally in the long run once I am qualified and so am more than prepared to pay for my education.

People that go to uni on mickey-mouse subjects or to waste time to avoid getting a real job probably view the new bill very differently.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i got myslef on the tele today at protest agianst fees wehey. On a more serious note has anyone seen in the news that a bristol uni student is so broke that she's selling her virginity on ebay to the highest bidder to avoid being thousands of pounds in debt. When te istuation gets to that thre must be something wrong with teh system
edufly
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
Well suggest an alternative then! - Univerisities need funding from somewhere!

Yes universities need funding but where they will be getting it from is the problem.
If the governement already contributes 5/6's of the cost of a students degree then why should the student pay the remainder 1/6 when it will cause them so much financial worries.

Surely for the governement to pay the full cost is the best way.....when we are paying billions for a war that the majority didn't want THEN I DON'T THINK WE'RE IN A POSITION TO SAY THE GOVERNMENT SHOULDN'T MEET THE COST OF STUDENTS DEGREES!!!

I'm sure the dustbin man would rather contribute to students (future doctors, lawyers, accountants etc) degrees than to wars etc!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes universities need funding but where they will be getting it from is the problem.
If the governement already contributes 5/6's of the cost of a students degree then why should the student pay the remainder 1/6 when it will cause them so much financial worries.

Surely for the governement to pay the full cost is the best way.....when we are paying billions for a war that the majority didn't want THEN I DON'T THINK WE'RE IN A POSITION TO SAY THE GOVERNMENT SHOULDN'T MEET THE COST OF STUDENTS DEGREES!!!

I'm sure the dustbin man would rather contribute to students (future doctors, lawyers, accountants etc) degrees than to wars etc!
What a cheek! You should have to pay because you are going to benefit from the degree by earning more on average than non-graduates for the rest of your life. 1/6th of the total cost of your degree isnt much to ask.

And BTW, I would rather fund wars that rid the world of evil dictators that have murdered and been so cruel to hundreds of thousands of people rather than fund lazy students doing mickey mouse degrees and that ending up working in mcdonalds anyway!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm... I'm year 11 and I'm thinking of engineering or physics in the future, so I shouldn't really worry.

But the problem with top-up fees is that they cause all sorts of discrimination between people. Like there was that Guardian article a while back, which I forgot the exact details of...
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I still wonder exactly what people do with a physics degree, except for getting a PGCE and teaching. And I am not gonna be a teacher.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I still wonder exactly what people do with a physics degree, except for getting a PGCE and teaching. And I am not gonna be a teacher.
The thing I learnt from all my friends that went to uni is not to go and study something just because you are interested in it, you should do a degree that will enable you to get the job you want to do.

For example, I know someone who has recently graduated with a 1st in Biology and is now working in WHSmith.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i just read quite an alarming article (for me anyway) saying that englsih and language students earn 10% less than teh aversage post a-level leaver. So basically i've put myslef in huge ammounts of debt to get a degree which will ultimately give me naff all money... oh fantastic

incidentall nicknack... where did your friend with the first in biology graduate from?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads