The Student Room Group

postive architecture thread

so, share all of your best experiences on riba part 1 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
finishing it was about the only positive thing about it.
Reply 2
in before the comeback rant about Mizukii being a naive noob

:biggrin:
Reply 3
some of the field trips were quite fun. eating ice cream at midnight in barcelona in feb, a frozen sea at louisiana, a tour of jean prouve's house in nancy, driivng to mulhouse to see the social housing there (la cite manifeste). i enjoyed some of the projects in third year, our head of third year was very good at getting us to understand how architecture can (and should) be intertwined wth politics.
Reply 4
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
Hi, could you do my work for me?
I only had 4 hours of sleeps before going into uni at 11am till about 7pm today.

I have a crit tomorrow at 10am.
Can you fill my pain?

boo hoo.
Reply 5
Original post by waecskt
in before the comeback rant about Mizukii being a naive noob

:biggrin:

Well at least we've established the facts.
Reply 6
Original post by Mizukii
so, share all of your best experiences on riba part 1 :smile:

I went bowling once in first year. The study trips were great, Barcelona was excellent and the trips were really the only time we all got to go out together properly. I met a few people that became good friends but I met more people than I can count that would stab you in the back for an extra half a grade. Won a few awards which was nice but their warm glow was fleeting.

Ultimately I wish I'd been boring and studied accounting or better yet facilities management.
Reply 7
My late night pseudo philosophical ramblings on life, that euphoric sense of escapism felt from being intoxicated from red bull overdoses, that daily trip to the canteen for a caffeine top up, my appreciation of all the small things in life like 7 hours sleep.

In all seriousness though, I managed to expand my music collection.
Reply 8
Original post by Ex Death
My late night pseudo philosophical ramblings on life, that euphoric sense of escapism felt from being intoxicated from red bull overdoses, that daily trip to the canteen for a caffeine top up, my appreciation of all the small things in life like 7 hours sleep.

In all seriousness though, I managed to expand my music collection.

surely 1st and 2nd year were a lot more relaxed. its pretty much unanimous that 3rd year is extremely difficult.
So far I've actually really enjoyed third year. Some of the best things generally were the study trips (specifically Trieste & Venice - a week of food and wine and relaxation), the studio culture & having a nice big group of friends within the course (rare on other courses), reading/learning about interesting stuff from vaguely related subjects, the highs of when you feel you've achieved something good, late night wine and table tennis games , errr.... generally, i've enjoyed it and my worst enemy has definitely been myself (my lack of belief in the value of what I come up with). The course itself is ridiculous in terms of stress, emotional rollercoasters etcetc BUT I still think it can be enjoyable.
Reply 10
You may not do 100 hour weeks, but I do. I know others that do, and that defines excellent students from bad ones.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mizukii
this thread excludes you archiboi. your spoiling the passion within so many prospective students. we all know that your in your fifth year and that your life is **** because you work the long hours at UCL. its made me consider other courses but i cant see myself doing anything else at university. i already know that im not going to be an architect. i just want to study it and experience the profession through the process of design. ive spoken to other people and i know that these 100 hour weeks you talk about are *******s in part 1. theyre certainly possible coming up to deadlines but generally the course is a little less stressful than you make out.

now go on about how i know nothing and your the best person on this forum. dont forget to tell me how crap your life is again for about the 20th time.

:s its too late im sure but i would seriously advise against doing this degree unless you want to be an architect. its really not worth it.

as for positives of part 1? when i graduated from it i learnt the value of freedom,weekends and doing as much as i could with my free time. Being chained to your desk for three years really makes you want to go out and live life .....until it gets cut short again by part 2 .

not many positives about the actual degree for me apart from learning skills with cool software and meeting lovely people.

/honest response
Reply 12
Original post by bone-machine
:s its too late im sure but i would seriously advise against doing this degree unless you want to be an architect. its really not worth it.

architecture covers a wide range of subjects, i dont think any of you can disagree with that. i dont want to be an architect because i dont want to be locked in a job where there is little stability/ creativity/ free time. I say creativity because most architects find themselves doing hardly any design work. I dont know what career id like to have when im older. but since the age of 15 ive had an interest for studying architecture at university. I may choose to go into a more relaxed architecture related career like urban design for example.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ArchiBoi
I was brought up by foster parents, in a council estate in Liverpool. So I'm hardly "rah".

shouldnt you be working on your project? i dont think your meant to spend any of your 100 hours each week arguing with sixth formers on the student room.
Reply 14
Original post by Mizukii
shouldnt you be working on your project? i dont think your meant to spend any of your 100 hours each week arguing with sixth formers on the student room.

Ok peace out mate. Good fight.

I think you're a good arguer - you'll probably go far and your resistance and comebacks are to be admired.

Keep at it, do a smashing folio and climb the system.

PM/swap skypes if you like or want to chat about the folio etc. I'll give you any help I can.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I also want to help young talent enter the system and help people in architecture, because ultimately that is the most rewarding thing there is in life.

im actually laughing right now. how can you say that when all you do is complain about the course and look down on anyone who talks to you on this forum. It seems to me that your more interested in deterring any prospective students by talking them out of the course and scaring them off with your ramblings about the damage that your education has done to your health and social life.
Reply 16
this should be renamed the unhappy architecture thread.
Reply 17
Original post by Mizukii
im actually laughing right now. how can you say that when all you do is complain about the course and look down on anyone who talks to you on this forum. It seems to me that your more interested in deterring any prospective students by talking them out of the course and scaring them off with your ramblings about the damage that your education has done to your health and social life.

As I edited, peace out mate.

Good fight. You've done well. I'm happy to talk about your folio.

ab
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Mizukii
dunno whether your taking the piss or whatever. but okay. same back to you.

You're actaully the first person in a while to nearly rumble me. That's good. I have a problem. I reckon in 5 years time you'll be worse than me and god help the newbie's then haha.
Reply 19
As I edited, peace out mate.

Good fight. You've done well. I'm happy to talk about your folio.

ab

your being too kind,

His arguments are quite weak. Simplifying people down to rahs/chavs immediately loses the argument imo.

Quick Reply

Latest