The Student Room Group

Microgynon 30 - positive experiences??

I have just been prescribed microgynon 30 and I have found nothing but negative experiences online, and now I'm scared. I'm hoping there are some good things. Please share any good experiences help to settle my worries, I've started taking them today!!

Scroll to see replies

i'm on that, been taking it for 2 months now, for the first week or so had a bit of spotting but apart from that no problems with it :h:
I'm afraid I had a pretty abysmal time whilst on it :sadnod:.
Reply 3
Original post by Ray_1989
I have just been prescribed microgynon 30 and I have found nothing but negative experiences online, and now I'm scared. I'm hoping there are some good things. Please share any good experiences help to settle my worries, I've started taking them today!!

I've been on this pill for over a year and had no problems with it whatsoever. It affects everyone differently - don't believe everyone reacts in the same way like in the horror stories you hear online because chances are they were extreme cases.

As long as you remember to take it each day you will have no problems, try to take it at the same time e.g. after dinner so you don't forget.

Personally I've not experienced any weight gain or sickness or anything like that, but I have found that my skin cleared up and is now more on the dry side, and my periods got lighter and much less painful.

Don't worry, but if you do experience problems speak to your doctor as soon as possible and they will be able to offer advice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I've been on it since October and it's been fine. Be careful about what you hear from other people because you can end up convincing yourself that you have moodswings and headaches and stuff like that which you couldn't possibly have had before you started the pill. Obviously some people do have serious side effects though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I was on it for about 3 years and had no problems. Slight mood swings, thats about it. You'll always find nightmare stories online.
It could be a self-fulling prophecy: you read all the negative reiews and then you start believe the pill is making you feel crap, when actually it could be external factors. Personally, if I ever see a packet of microgynon again I will burn it, I became an emotional wreck on it.Whether it was down to Microgynon or whether it was down to me going through a real rough patch, I don't know but it fills me with bad memories.

I'm on Cilest atm and it's been alright but I'm thinking of coming of it because I am a lot more emotional.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I put on weight....not great lol
Reply 8
I don't honestly know whether what I feel whilst taking the pill is actually due to the pill itself.
Anyway, people will always post negative experiences rather than positive ones
I've been on Microgynon since July 2009 and I experience no side effects at all.
Reply 10
I've been on it about 4 years with 0 problems x
Reply 11
Original post by blahhh
I put on weight....not great lol

Please don't take this rudely at all, as it's not intended to be rude, but did you actually? Because I remember this being my biggest fear, but I heard weight gain during the pill was due to a greater appetite/bloating/ just coincidence?
Unless you mind, how much did it make you put on? a lot, or just a few pounds? Just being curious really :colondollar:
Reply 12
Thanks starting to feel better, I think I just tend to worry unnecessarily, specially after reading pages of bad experiences.
Fingers crossed this one works out for me!
It wasn't for me when I was on it. I hsve changed to a different one.
Reply 14

I've been on it for going on 2 years now with no weight gain, no mood swings, lighter periods, less angry cramps (really calms the old uterus demon!) and clearer skin :smile: Of course everyone reacts differently, but more people are likely to write a negative review of a product than a negative one online aren't they! Just see how you are after a month or two, no doubt you'll have to go back to the doctors for a check up anyway :smile:
Hope this helps
Reply 15

I've been on it a year and a half with no problems that I've been aware of apart from light bleeding for the first month on it.

Give it a go, if it doesn't suit you you can always try a different one :smile:
Reply 16
been on it since March 2009 and not had any problems. My periods are now only lasting 48 hours and are very light and not painful at all.
I know you want to hear good things but I had an awwwful time with it. I was either sick or eating like a pig. Just go on the Implant. Easier.
I have been on it for about 18 months now and it's absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever. I've found it doesn't hold out very well if I run on more than two packs back to back but that's the only issue really :smile:

I've been on it a month now, so can't really say for sure, but not noticed anything bad. I'd say my appetite's increased but as i'm aware of it i've not gained any weight. No spotting so far, period was the same as normal for me, i hoped they'd get lighter but not so far. My skin does feel a lot clearer though.
I thought i'd get mood swings so was on the look out for them and convinced myself that i was becoming paranoid for the first week, but i was just being silly really. If i were you i'd take it as if you're going to get no changes at all so that you notice the real changes more.

Quick Reply

Latest