Best revision/textbook/websites for AS OCR Biology? Watch

NaturalYoghurt
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello

My Biology teacher is rubbish, he has one year left until he retires and that seems to be all he focuses on.

I really need some extra help :confused:

What are the best revision or textbooks out there? And are there any good websites aswell?

Thanks.
Normandy114
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I used the above textbook for my AS, which I found adequate, although several other people I know bought the CGP revision guide as well. As for websites I use Khan academy for any topics I don't completely understand, and often use this website for testing myself, it's better in some sections than overs however.
Ak786454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I've got this book that you've shown a picture off... Firstly, I wanted to ask what grade you got with this book? And also, I do prefer CGP books, but my teacher doesn't recommend that to me, but you know those who did use the CGP revision guides, what grade did they get? And which CGP book did they exactly use (please could you send me a link)?
prof moriartress
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
AfroBella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
getrevising.com
AfroBella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ak786454)
Hello, I've got this book that you've shown a picture off... Firstly, I wanted to ask what grade you got with this book? And also, I do prefer CGP books, but my teacher doesn't recommend that to me, but you know those who did use the CGP revision guides, what grade did they get? And which CGP book did they exactly use (please could you send me a link)?
this is the best revision guide for biology in my opinion and my teacher recommended it :http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Bio...gp+ocr+biology

Use it with the other book to get the best grade
Ak786454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, thanks for your reply!! You know when you say 'other book', do you mean that picture of that book up there?

So I would have to use both? As I don't think I would get time to use that CGP book and that picture of that book up there as I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics as well...

So you know if I had to use that book up there (that purple textbook) would I still be able to get a good grade or the 'best grade' like you said as I would have to use it alongside the revision guide that you recommended either way... So basically what I'm trying to ask is if I would get the best grade even if I just used that purple textbook - as I don't want to be halfway down the course changing books...

Also have you already done AS Biology? If so, what grade did you get?
AfroBella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, thanks for your reply!! You know when you say 'other book', do you mean that picture of that book up there?

So I would have to use both? As I don't think I would get time to use that CGP book and that picture of that book up there as I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics as well...

So you know if I had to use that book up there (that purple textbook) would I still be able to get a good grade or the 'best grade' like you said as I would have to use it alongside the revision guide that you recommended either way... So basically what I'm trying to ask is if I would get the best grade even if I just used that purple textbook - as I don't want to be halfway down the course changing books...

Also have you already done AS Biology? If so, what grade did you get?
Sorry, I didn't even see this.
Yeah I was talking about the purple book, and the CGP book isn't essential it just depends on your learning style, my teacher recommended it to us a couple months before the exams because it cuts out all the unnecessary crap that the other book has and just explains what you need to know according to the spec.
I did As biology last year and got a B
You have loads of time for revision so just get the purple book and if you feel you'll be fine with it then there's no point buying the other one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ak786454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh okay - and don't worry - you weren't late in replying or anything... And just one more thing to ask (sorry for all the questions - it's just me doing my research - I've done this to about 5 people now who have done Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics to help me decide on what to do)... But don't worry I won't ask you much!

What did you use to get your B? As I really, really want an A... Did you use that purple book?
AfroBella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh okay - and don't worry - you weren't late in replying or anything... And just one more thing to ask (sorry for all the questions - it's just me doing my research - I've done this to about 5 people now who have done Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics to help me decide on what to do)... But don't worry I won't ask you much!

What did you use to get your B? As I really, really want an A... Did you use that purple book?
Yeah I used the purple one, because it's essential in class really, I just used the other one for revision a couple months before the exams, if you want an A the best thing to do is start studying properly now. Print off the exam spec from the ocr website and read ahead before classes
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads