This discussion is closed.
bougeoursie_Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
if H2O is the molecule of water
what would u call the O or H2 within that molecule?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's actually split into a H (hydrogen atom) and an OH (hydroxyl something or other), I remember that from GCSE.
bougeoursie_Roo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
It's actually split into a H (hydrogen atom) and an OH (hydroxyl something or other), I remember that from GCSE.
so atoms?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bougeoursie_Roo)
Hmmm... Well, it'd be either atoms or ions, depending on whether you consider atoms within a covalent molecule to have charge.

Covalent bonding involves sharing electrons so all atoms gain an electron in their outer shell, so that'd make it an ion as an extra electron means it is charged. But the electron is not the atom's to keep...

Put simply: I haven't got a clue.
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Hmmm... Well, it'd be either atoms or ions, depending on whether you consider atoms within a covalent molecule to have charge.

Covalent bonding involves sharing electrons so all atoms gain an electron in their outer shell, so that'd make it an ion as an extra electron means it is charged. But the electron is not the atom's to keep...

Put simply: I haven't got a clue.
I do A-level chemistry and i'm guessing Hydrogen and oxygen atoms..so u'll have to believe me. (im probably wrong, but i like the hardcore chem, not the easy bits )
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
SATS level- atoms
GCSE level- oxygen atom, pair of hydrogen atoms
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
I do A-level chemistry and i'm guessing Hydrogen and oxygen atoms..so u'll have to believe me. (im probably wrong, but i like the hardcore chem, not the easy bits )
Yep thats right - a water molecule contains hydrogen and oxygen atoms. However it can be split into ions - H+ and OH-, but i doubt thats what you want to know...
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The chemical name for water is Dihydrogen oxide.
Draw your conclusions from that.

More info on water - polar molecule as O is more electronegative than H.
The O has a damn lone pair of electrons aswell.

No ions, they are atoms covalently bonded (well der), which means sharing an electron, creating a pair of electrons that form a bond (double der).

Gayboy09 is not as stupid as he looks, talks or smells.
Ok he is stupid.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so atoms?
Whatever, I don't do those sciences anymore.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gayboy09)
No ions, they are atoms covalently bonded (well der), which means sharing an electron, creating a pair of electrons that form a bond (double der).

take it from a degree level chemist, water can be made into ions (as written in my post above).
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
They do have a charge, a formal charge, more commonly known as an oxidation number.

you could also say they have charge through polarisation, with the O slightly positive, and the Hs slightly negative.
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
They do have a charge, a formal charge, more commonly known as an oxidation number.

you could also say they have charge through polarisation, with the O slightly positive, and the Hs slightly negative.
Blatant ignorance of me.

I said previously in my response that O was more electronegative than H, therefore causing the bond to be slighty polar - O being delta -, H being delta +.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gayboy09)
Blatant ignorance of me.
Yeah, i was treading down the page, replied to the first post i saw, and then read on seeing your post
I said previously in my response that O was more electronegative than H, therefore causing the bond to be slighty polar - O being delta -, H being delta +.
Isn't H delta - and O delta +?
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Yeah, i was treading down the page, replied to the first post i saw, and then read on seeing your post

Isn't H delta - and O delta +?
Nope H is delta +ve and O is delta -ve. This is because oxygen is electronegative, and 'pulls' electrons towards it, giving it a slightly negative charge, hence the delta -ve.

However in some compounds H can be -ve too, just not in water.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Nope H is delta +ve and O is delta -ve. This is because oxygen is electronegative, and 'pulls' electrons towards it, giving it a slightly negative charge, hence the delta -ve.

However in some compounds H can be -ve too, just not in water.
but the hydrogen is basically just a proton, it is extremely positive, so it attracts the electrons in the bond, making the H delta -ve?
Katie J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'The O has a damn lone pair of electrons aswell.' (I still can't do quoting like everyone else )

Make that 2 damn lone pairs!

H has 'lost' its electron to be +ive, its not going to want them back. O is more electronegative, grabing electrons as described by someone brainier than me earlier. Its far more stable being delta -.

Terrible joke in my chem text book...
Qu. Why are bonds like bears?
Ans. Some are polar some are not. (sorry)
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
but the hydrogen is basically just a proton, it is extremely positive, so it attracts the electrons in the bond, making the H delta -ve?
An H atom is not a proton, an H+ ion is a proton. Hydrogen has no influence in chemical bonds, only electronegative atoms (oxygen, nitrogen, flourine) can 'pull' electrons towards them to get a positive charge. Water is a polar substance because the oxygen pulls the electrons away from the hydrogens, making them delta +ve because they are slightly electron defficient. Only in some cases can you make the hydrogen negative (when it is used as an oxidising agent).
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
An H atom is not a proton, an H+ ion is a proton. Hydrogen has no influence in chemical bonds, only electronegative atoms (oxygen, nitrogen, flourine) can 'pull' electrons towards them to get a positive charge. Water is a polar substance because the oxygen pulls the electrons away from the hydrogens, making them delta +ve because they are slightly electron defficient. Only in some cases can you make the hydrogen negative (when it is used as an oxidising agent).
Chicken knows what she is talking about. hey I remember something from A Level Chemistry.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads