This discussion is closed.
angelzland
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Heya,
My friend got offered a place at Oxford to read French and Russian. When she aplied she had 4 subjects for a-level and now she realises she can't cope doing them all. She has already dropped one subject having asked for permission at all her other unis, except she said Oxford hadn't gotn bak to her yet. Is she risking her place at Oxford? Does anyone know or think that that behaviour is frowned upon?
Sxx
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by angelzland)
Heya,
My friend got offered a place at Oxford to read French and Russian. When she aplied she had 4 subjects for a-level and now she realises she can't cope doing them all. She has already dropped one subject having asked for permission at all her other unis, except she said Oxford hadn't gotn bak to her yet. Is she risking her place at Oxford? Does anyone know or think that that behaviour is frowned upon?
Sxx

How long ago did she contact them? Was it by letter or email? Did they acknowledge her letter/email?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If they give her an offer of AAA or whatever, do they have the right to retract an offer?
angelzland
i think she tried to contact them but no reply yet...i think it was by e-mail!
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think she tried to contact them but no reply yet...i think it was by e-mail!
But how long ago was it? If it was two/three days ago..there's nothing to worry about! Do you have to inform them you are dropping a subject, what happens if you don't?
angelzland
it was last week....why is there nothing to worry about?
Sxx
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think you have to inform them if you plan to drop a subject. if they tell you that you can't, yet the offer they made you is only in terms of 3 grades, there is nothing to stop you just cutting out the lessons and getting something like AAAE
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have to inform your unis if you're dropping a subject cos the the terms of the UCAS form say that all the exams you put down that you'll be taking, you have to do....

G
leda swanson
Report 16 years ago
i got an AAA offer at cambridge and was doing for a-levels; having emailed the college they said there was no problem with my dropping one subject but i had to write formally to the admissions tutor. she hasn't written back yet- i assume this is because she is too busy acknowledging the formal letters asking to drop a couple of subjects from all the other successful applicants?!
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Heya,
Sxx

Why can your friend not cope doing 4 A levels? Is it for personal reasons, or academic?
angelzland
both
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
both

It's likely to be the former reason that's leading to the latter, hopefully this will be sorted out in time for univ
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads