The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you mean from scratch?
Reply 2
At school, we did French and German simultaneously.

--------------

At school, we did French and German simultaneously.

My friend did a triple honours degree in French, Italian and Spanish.
Reply 3
At school, we did French and German simultaneously...

My friend did a triple honours degree in French, Italian and Spanish. One of her class mates was also learning Flemish or something equally bizzare at night school at the same time..
As Fleece said, it depends whether you take both of them from scratch, and also how similar they are. I'll hopefully be doing French and Spanish at uni next year. At the moment I'm doing A2 French at school and GCSE Spanish by distance learning and that's going fine, but I'm sure it will get much harder when I'm doing them both at degree level! In a way, it's easier than doing French and something obscure like Arabic or Russian because quite a bit of the vocabulary is the same and the grammar is very similar, but at the same time it can get a bit confusing.
Reply 5
i'm doing french and german, and i don't find them confusing at all, maybe because they are really different but i think it should be fine.
Reply 6
i'm learning french, spanish, and portuguese simulataniously. i'm not really having that much trouble, but the only thing that i do is, when i don't know the world in one of them, i just substitute it for one in of the other languages. but that's only when i don't know the word in the other one. and when i switch from one to the other really fast without any time in between i use words from all 3 and get really confused. hahaha. but overall it's going really well.

plus i'll be starting Chinese after I get back from my year abroad in Portugal, and I might learn Italian there, as well as perfect my French and Spanish while I'm there.
Reply 7
I dont know really. at the moment i study german and italian, with the italian from scratch and thats going ok...it'd be easier for me to study german french and italian as i already know french, rather than say start spanish from scratch too, as when you start a language its good to give it your focus.
Reply 8
At the moment, I'm doing French and German at school and taking courses from scratch in Latin and Chinese outside of school. That's going fine, as they're all pretty different, but I think my Swedish and Hebrew are slipping a little :frown: That's probably my fault for not spending enough time on them rather than because I'm doing too many languages. I think as long as the langs are not too similar, you can learn as many simultaneously as you have the time for.
Reply 9
I'm doing French, German and Spanish in school for A-Level (in AS year) and I'm studying Chinese out of school once/twice a week with a friend. We're using "Teach Yourself Chinese" Book and CD and it's good so far.

Latest