Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rewmck)
    I have no idea what a crumpet is but I am not british because I live in Northern Ireland, we are part of the UK but not Britain.
    Doesn't mean you're not British...

I'd say NI was part of Britain, but not Great Britain, which is the island obviously. Back in the old days, they very occasionally talked about there being more than one Britain - ie, Canada, Aus et al.

[quote[ Also I am going to bring up the whole "British Accent" thing again because I think you need to hear this quite a lot because it annoys me, Britain is made up of 3 different countries and they all have completely different accents and in each of those countries there are different accents but you can be forgiven for saying Scottish, Welsh and English accents because we don't really say what part of the USA you are from when we speak about your accents, you all just have American accents.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a distinctly different accent from many English people. Again, it's more of a social thing than a regional thing. While there's certainly a distinctly Scottish accent (and I'll hear a lot of it if I go outside) I don't really speak with it. I'd describe my accent as more British than Scottish...

ReputationRep:
    With regard to the phrase 'British accent' - for a foreigner it is much more difficult to distinguish between regional accents. They'd all sound a lot more similar to someone not living there - I think most Brits would say 'American accent' too rather than being able to specify the region...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semester inUK)
    I'm an American (from NYC) and I've only been here for a month but I generally like English people. I find the people here to be very helpful, courteous, polite. Basically, I haven't had any BAD experiences with Brits yet.

I think the general view of British from the American standpoint is that they are very proper (a polite way of saying they have a stick up their a**), bad teeth, rather ...err....homely looking, and like to drink. Oh and they do looove the accent.

This is the general view-- not MINE! ...I can't figure it out about the teeth, though....

Anyway, I like the Brits!

You like English people, that's not the same as saying you like British people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Have a very cynical odd sense of humor. "British comedy" conjures up images of Benny Hill skits and his boisterous crude practical jokes with innuendo in place of real wit or imagination.
    Give me a break, British comedies are excellent when one considers the huge difference in the scale of production of such TV programmes between the two countries. Unfunny American sitcoms like Friends, Will and Grace, anything with that Raymond person in: the humour is so ridiculously primitive. Compare it to the likes of Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, *The Office*, Thin Blue Line, etc.

I'm not saying all American stuff is crap though. Family Guy is without doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, along with Futurama and The Simpsons; absolutely brilliant.

I can't understand this stuff about teeth though.... most of the people I know have excellent teeth. Mine are by no means great, but there are reasons for that. I wonder, from where did this stereotype originate? :confused:

(Original post by trunksss6)
    I can't understand this stuff about teeth though.... most of the people I know have excellent teeth. Mine are by no means great, but there are reasons for that. I wonder, from where did this stereotype originate? :confused:
    I think it's because Queen Elizabeth used to eat a lot of sugar and eventually her teeth crumbled away, and the stereotype had carried on for a long, long time. I used to have an overbite at primary school, got some free braces, have nice straight and white teeth now... and most British people have similar circumstances, I don't see anymore bad teeth over here then I do whenever I go somewhere else (including Florida.)

(Original post by Kittball)
    With regard to the phrase 'British accent' - for a foreigner it is much more difficult to distinguish between regional accents. They'd all sound a lot more similar to someone not living there - I think most Brits would say 'American accent' too rather than being able to specify the region...
    I could tell the difference but only between very large areas eg if it's very rural I'd assume they're from the south or something...

Sometimes there are accents even I can't recognise, at my old school there was a kid from London and I thought he sounded Australian!

ReputationRep:
    You know what would make my day, is to hear an American finally admitt he knows the difference between England and Britain. All I get is, "are you from England?", "No I'm from Scotland." Confused look then, "...Right, I meant are you from Britain."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I think it's because Queen Elizabeth used to eat a lot of sugar and eventually her teeth crumbled away, and the stereotype had carried on for a long, long time. I used to have an overbite at primary school, got some free braces, have nice straight and white teeth now... and most British people have similar circumstances, I don't see anymore bad teeth over here then I do whenever I go somewhere else (including Florida.)
    I always thought the Queen had rather nice teeth.

Of course, they might be dentures...

(Original post by ninman)
    You know what would make my day, is to hear an American finally admitt he knows the difference between England and Britain. All I get is, "are you from England?", "No I'm from Scotland." Confused look then, "...Right, I meant are you from Britain."
    My typical response to that question is 'meh, close enough...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)

My typical response to that question is 'meh, close enough...'
    At least your name isn't Fraser. I have these converstations, "what's your name?", "Fraser", "Frasier?", "no Fraser", "Frasier", "My name is not Frasier, it's Fraser", "Like the TV show", "no it's spelt differently", "ooooh".

That can't seem understand that Fraser, and FrasIer are spelt differently. It's like they can't understand that Verner and Vernon are also different names. Or that in a tennis tournament it's THE final, not the finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    At least your name isn't Fraser. I have these converstations, "what's your name?", "Fraser", "Frasier?", "no Fraser", "Frasier", "My name is not Frasier, it's Fraser", "Like the TV show", "no it's spelt differently", "ooooh".

That can't seem understand that Fraser, and FrasIer are spelt differently. It's like they can't understand that Verner and Vernon are also different names. Or that in a tennis tournament it's THE final, not the finals.
    All 275 million of us.

These threads of "what do X think of X" are pointless. Why because 275 million people don't share the same opinion. There are people who live here that would love nothing more than to live in the UK. And, I'm sure, some where, you could find someone from here who still has a salty taste about the Revolutionary War. (at least that's what we call it??) The bottom line is that these threads are good when people speak from their own frame of reference. All the generalized statements made here do no good.

Personally, I have yet to meet a person from the UK who wasn't 5 star. Like every other country, you come across closed minded people who put stereotypes and generalizations onto one group of people. But, the average levelheaded person, at least that I have come into contact with, is quite enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trunksss6)
    Give me a break, British comedies are excellent when one considers the huge difference in the scale of production of such TV programmes between the two countries. Unfunny American sitcoms like Friends, Will and Grace, anything with that Raymond person in: the humour is so ridiculously primitive. Compare it to the likes of Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, *The Office*, Thin Blue Line, etc.

I'm not saying all American stuff is crap though. Family Guy is without doubt one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, along with Futurama and The Simpsons; absolutely brilliant.

You can't say the majority of American comedy is crap. If that were the case, then American sitcom would not be the most imitated form of entertainment in the world. If you like *The Office (UK Version)* (which I most certainly do) or if you like Seinfeld then PLEASE watch Curb Your Enthusiasm. That stuff is genius.

On the whole accent bit. True, there are several accents, even dialects it seems (I'm currently living in scouse country), in Great Britain. They are all very different. I still have yet to meet someone who has the proper 'Mary Poppins' accent. Also true is that all Americans have different accents, as well. Last time I checked, my name isn't Jim-Bob and I'm not married to my cousin. Basically, I don't speak at all like the leader of my country. In other words, I speak properly.

Don't judge me!
    :P

ReputationRep:
    It's true, however people can't seem to respect my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, however people can't seem to respect my opinion.
    Perhaps the way you put it across, ne?

I could tell the difference but only between very large areas eg if it's very rural I'd assume they're from the south or something...

Sometimes there are accents even I can't recognise, at my old school there was a kid from London and I thought he sounded Australian!
    Eh, I'd have difficulty placing region to an american accent, other than particulary distinct ones such as New York

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)

:rofl: It was Elizabeth I, not the current queen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    All 275 million of us.

These threads of "what do X think of X" are pointless. Why because 275 million people don't share the same opinion. There are people who live here that would love nothing more than to live in the UK. And, I'm sure, some where, you could find someone from here who still has a salty taste about the Revolutionary War. (at least that's what we call it??) The bottom line is that these threads are good when people speak from their own frame of reference. All the generalized statements made here do no good.

Personally, I have yet to meet a person from the UK who wasn't 5 star. Like every other country, you come across closed minded people who put stereotypes and generalizations onto one group of people. But, the average levelheaded person, at least that I have come into contact with, is quite enjoyable.
    rusty, don't bother even saying anything.

ReputationRep:
    Rusty has my vote as the most stupid user on this board.

ReputationRep:
    that makes at least 2 votes then.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously can American comedies even compare with the likes of Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Are you being Served? and so on?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, we can laugh at the americans just as much if not more.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You guys are just chasing me from thread to thread now. And, it's realllllllly sad.

ReputationRep:
    Stop ruining what was a semi-decent discussion with your childish insults, please.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.