Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    well it aint the 70's any more, we make some quality cars. im really loving the atom at the moment. as soon as im wealthy enough im gunna get one . and british comedy, i can see your point. some of it is pure genious tho. fawlty towers, monty python etc. are really really good. i can't stand carry on films tho.
    Well, the thread was what do americans think of Britain, not what I think of Britain or you would have gotten a totally different response. I'm very well travelled and I know from first hand experience that some of the stereotypes are blown out of proportion, some are dead on, and some are completely wrong. Even though you may take offense to some of the stereotypes, Britain is the most well liked country by a mile. I'm sure citizens of other countries would love to have the stereotype of sounding intelligent.

I've talked about how fond I am of my Lotus Elise in other sections of the forum. When driving a new Land Rover or this Lotus, I always have to answer questions about reliability all the time and people look so frightened when I tell them a car is made in England. It's going to take a long time to undo the damage. Just about every British car from the 70s was appallingly badly designed, with poor performance, corrosion-protection, and quality control. Hyundai is starting to do well now after giving buyers the best warranty in the auto industry. Maybe that's the best way to get Americans more interested in your cars again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)
    monty python is so stupid!!!

hahahha i feel so bad for you!!! all the anticipation! i would have just used it anyways, haha, walked around with an awesome light up umbrella with a stereo on my shoulder playing 'cant touch this' on a bright sunny day. haha that'd be amazing. and if you got yellow rainboots and a yellow raincoat you could be like the london version of the naked cowboy, hahaha, that's totally my new career. maybe it'd have to be without the raincoat though. haha.
    Dude. I actually laughed out loud reading that. No joke.

By the way, you totally inspired me. Yay for the Naked Cowboy. Speaking of the Naked Cowboy, I've just literally walked back into my apartment after spending 4 hours standing in the f-ing freezing cold in Times Square waiting for standing room tickets for Spaaaamalot!!!! YES! Tim Curry! David Hyde Pierce. It's going to be amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what a crumpet is but I am not british because I live in Northern Ireland, we are part of the UK but not Britain. I think british comedy is a lot funnier than US comedies and a lot more intelligent than your comedy. I think your food is way better than ours because you have so much variety. Also I am going to bring up the whole "British Accent" thing again because I think you need to hear this quite a lot because it annoys me, Britain is made up of 3 different countries and they all have completely different accents and in each of those countries there are different accents but you can be forgiven for saying Scottish, Welsh and English accents because we don't really say what part of the USA you are from when we speak about your accents, you all just have American accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rewmck)
    I have no idea what a crumpet is but I am not british because I live in Northern Ireland, we are part of the UK but not Britain. I think british comedy is a lot funnier than US comedies and a lot more intelligent than your comedy. I think your food is way better than ours because you have so much variety. Also I am going to bring up the whole "British Accent" thing again because I think you need to hear this quite a lot because it annoys me, Britain is made up of 3 different countries and they all have completely different accents and in each of those countries there are different accents but you can be forgiven for saying Scottish, Welsh and English accents because we don't really say what part of the USA you are from when we speak about your accents, you all just have American accents.
    When did I say all the accents were identical? :confused:
    I can guarantee with almost 100 percent certainty that you can't tell the difference between a Canadian accent and what you call "an American accent" and I really don't care

(Original post by Choad)
    bloody hell. i nearly spilled my tea all over my cucumber sandwiches when i read that, because i am a bit wasted (actually that last bit is almost true). bloody hell i say!
    lol! Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    When did I say all the accents were identical? :confused:
    I can guarantee with almost 100 percent certainty that you can't tell the difference between a Canadian accent and what you call "an American accent" and I really don't care
    I think I could tell the difference between them, Canadians say out, about etc. in a weird way. Also the whole accent thing wasn't just directed at you, I only said it because the Simpsons says British accent all the time and I needed somewhere to complain about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think I could tell the difference between them, Canadians say out, about etc. in a weird way. Also the whole accent thing wasn't just directed at you, I only said it because the Simpsons says British accent all the time and I needed somewhere to complain about it.
    hehe...i heart the simpsons...

ReputationRep:
    So now we're claiming that all Canadians have the same accents? :rolleyes:

"Out" and "about" are generally exaggerated for comic effect in stereotypes, and the pronunciation of the two words ranges across the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    So now we're claiming that all Canadians have the same accents? :rolleyes:

"Out" and "about" are generally exaggerated for comic effect in stereotypes, and the pronunciation of the two words ranges across the country.

I give up with this accent thing, you people can mistake me for Russian if you really want to because I am too sleepy to care at the minute. I might not feel this way when I have slept but at least what I have said here will stop me arguing with people about accents.
    :sleep:

ReputationRep:

I give up with this accent thing, you people can mistake me for Russian if you really want to because I am too sleepy to care at the minute. I might not feel this way when I have slept but at least what I have said here will stop me arguing with people about accents.
    :sleep:
    Well you need to understand something...generally you will have it made in america if you have ANY type of UK accent.....Scottish, Welsh and English< nothern Irish (actually any irish) accents are all adored in the US. You will have people asking you to say ANYTHING left and right....and the accents you think are "bad" in the UK like geordie, Mancs, etc fall into that catagory too.....

Where as, American accents in the UK are either ignored or ridiculed outright... (generally, with a few exceptions)

ReputationRep:
    I like your accents, they all sound quite friendly but to be honest Northern Irish people always sound like they are complaining and have quite an unfriendly accent unless you live there and it is normal. The only thing I find funny about Americans when they talk is the way they use big words a lot, there is nothing wrong with this but I just find it funny because it makes me look like a fool.

ReputationRep:
    :p: Posh!

ReputationRep:
    :p: Posh!

ReputationRep:
    I do like american accents, but the reason thery are ridiculed is that the US is not generally worshiped and adorded, the sterotype is well . . . you dont need me to tell you the sterotype of a yank now do you? And do they use big words a lot, ive seen a couple try but get it wrong which is funny the only yank I know who can use big words is in fact a lecturer (profesor i think our cousins call them) on english, though I'm aware I'm sterotyping its just my experences.

We also dont dislike the accent, we give it a sterotype for example geordies, also we find it hard to understand some, I mean a glaswiegen oh J***s. The reason US accents are disliked is the sterotype not the sound as i think ive said before, I actually like the sound, though it does sound very uncultured and you do butcher the queens english. Which is quite an affront.

ReputationRep:
    I do like american accents, but the reason thery are ridiculed is that the US is not generally worshiped and adorded, the sterotype is well . . . you dont need me to tell you the sterotype of a yank now do you? And do they use big words a lot, ive seen a couple try but get it wrong which is funny the only yank I know who can use big words is in fact a lecturer (profesor i think our cousins call them) on english, though I'm aware I'm sterotyping its just my experences.

We also dont dislike the accent, we give it a sterotype for example geordies, also we find it hard to understand some, I mean a glaswiegen oh J***s. The reason US accents are disliked is the sterotype not the sound as i think ive said before, I actually like the sound, though it does sound very uncultured and you do butcher the queens english. Which is quite an affront.

ReputationRep:
    Either sound like we are from f"aulty towers" or "are you being served"!
    Well thats what my uncle in the usa said when i went there acouple of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Either sound like we are from f"aulty towers" or "are you being served"!
    Well thats what my uncle in the usa said when i went there acouple of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Also the whole accent thing wasn't just directed at you, I only said it because the Simpsons says British accent all the time and I needed somewhere to complain about it.
    Djchak said it best. If someone says they like the British accent, it means they like all the different accents in Britian, but they aren't suggesting that they are all the same. No need to take offense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N9ne)
    I don't think many people living in Britain can particularly understand those speaking with strong accents from Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham. Living near Birmingham however, I have managed to adapt my hearing to hear the right parts of words to understand.
    I make a habit of trying to "do" other accents :P Having been brought up in Birmingham, I've got a hint of Brummie lurking somewhere, but since being at uni its all gone RP!

There's a website somewhere where you can translate english into a phonetic spelling in many of the British accents.

Frankly, when it comes to accents, I get really annoyed when people start doing a Dudley accent instead of a Birmingham one :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American (from NYC) and I've only been here for a month but I generally like English people. I find the people here to be very helpful, courteous, polite. Basically, I haven't had any BAD experiences with Brits yet.

I think the general view of British from the American standpoint is that they are very proper (a polite way of saying they have a stick up their a**), bad teeth, rather ...err....homely looking, and like to drink. Oh and they do looove the accent.

This is the general view-- not MINE! ...I can't figure it out about the teeth, though....

Anyway, I like the Brits!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.