This discussion is closed.
Undisclosed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Guns, is it really necessary for a human to own a gun in this modern day and age. I think one day America will realise they have had too much of a bad thing, my only worry that they will realise too late. They should definitely follow England’s example and ditch their gun culture.
What are your views on this?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Undisclosed)
Guns, is it really necessary for a human to own a gun in this modern day and age. I think one day America will realise they have had too much of a bad thing, my only worry that they will realise too late. They should definitely follow England’s example and ditch their gun culture.
unfortunately our urban population is followign their example
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did england ever have a gun culture? (seriously because i cant think of any period in history in which we had those problems)
Undisclosed
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
unfortunately our urban population is followign their example
We have no where near their gun crime rates.
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Undisclosed)
I think it shows how sick a society can be - sorry about the strong word. The only two countries where one does not need a license to buy a gun are USA and SouthAfrica - I think that says a lot...
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i just hate the possibilty of our country developping a gun culture its getting bad enough already
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
guns guns guns scream kill kill kill!!
Undisclosed
Rep:
?
(Original post by emom100)
i just hate the possibilty of our country developping a gun culture its getting bad enough already
At least we did something about it.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
did england ever have a gun culture? (seriously because i cant think of any period in history in which we had those problems)
Gun culture is growing, especially in some areas. This time last year the nation, or at least my area, was still shocked by the deaths of Charlene Ellis and Letisha Shakespeare.

I haven't heard of any shootings round here in ages though, the police had a gun amnesty a while ago and I don't know exactly how successful that was in lowering gun crime rates.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Gun culture is growing, especially in some areas. This time last year the nation, or at least my area, was still shocked by the deaths of Charlene Ellis and Letisha Shakespeare.

I haven't heard of any shootings round here in ages though, the police had a gun amnesty a while ago and I don't know exactly how successful that was in lowering gun crime rates.
indeed yes recently things, especially the Aston incident really i think woke up the UK's attention. I think the gun amnesty has helped, it has taken guns off the street although who knows how many more are being smuggled in to replace them
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Aren't we going to get any Americans here supporting their countries policy? I am completely 100% opposed to it, but would like to here a supporter's point of view.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Surely we gave up our guns etc for the state to look after our safety. But since the decline of police effectiveness, we are maybe better off with personal protection of some sort?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Surely we gave up our guns etc for the state to look after our safety. But since the decline of police effectiveness, we are maybe better off with personal protection of some sort?
Well, the police are too busy catching motorists, right?

It's stupid letting people have guns though, because the more people get guns the more people will feel vunerable unless they get a gun too.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Well, the police are too busy catching motorists, right?

It's stupid letting people have guns though, because the more people get guns the more people will feel vunerable unless they get a gun too.
Until you are the victim of a robbery, and see all your possessions fly away, whilst the police take 20 minutes to answer a 999 call.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ben2111)
I think it shows how sick a society can be - sorry about the strong word. The only two countries where one does not need a license to buy a gun are USA and SouthAfrica - I think that says a lot...
more talk of your morals. i would seriously consider the fact that germany has cut military spending again by some $20billion last month and were the US to refuse to defend you, the Andorran military would march into Berlin.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Aren't we going to get any Americans here supporting their countries policy? I am completely 100% opposed to it, but would like to here a supporter's point of view.
Well, I'm not an American. I'm a Brit. But, I do live in America and also own 2 guns. So, what's the problem?

The only folks in the UK that own guns are criminals because the UK has laws that take guns away from law abiding citizens. Not surprizingly, the only citizens that ignore these laws are the criminal elements.

Isn't it a fact that gun crime in the UK has spirralled since laws were tightened, and armistaces introduced. Great policy!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"Guns don't kill people. People don't kill people. American's kill people." - Michael Moore upon reading something of Canada's murder rate per capita when compare with that of America.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
"Guns don't kill people. People don't kill people. American's kill people." - Michael Moore upon reading something of Canada's murder rate per capita when compare with that of America.
Oh, please don't cite Michael Moore. Anyone who can write a book as plain daft as "stupid white men" isn't to be taken seriously.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Oh, please don't cite Michael Moore. Anyone who can write a book as plain daft as "stupid white men" isn't to be taken seriously.
Please don't be so narrow minded as to discount him. He states the obvious where others won't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Please don't be so narrow minded as to discount him. He states the obvious where others won't.
No. Just because I don't find the pearls of wisdom that eminate from Moore's scribblings does'nt make me narrow minded.

I read his book and formed, in my own sweet way, the opinion that it was crap. I disagree with his world view and his vision of America.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads