Turn on thread page Beta

EMA, just STOP fussing!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have read many posts where people moan about some people getting EMa being a big problem, to he honest does it even affect people that much? does it even concern people? Will it help others?
    People who get EMA are poor as it is and this extra money that people are recieing is hard a luxury life. Just let them be.
    Who agrees?

ReputationRep:
    Ema..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincent)
    Who agrees?
    Fidel Castro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincent)
    I have read many posts where people moan about some people getting EMa being a big problem, to he honest does it even affect people that much? does it even concern people? Will it help others?
    People who get EMA are poor as it is and this extra money that people are recieing is hard a luxury life. Just let them be.
    Who agrees?
    Ummmm, not everbody who gets the EMA is particularly poor; there are people at my school who receive it and if they can afford our school fees then they aren't particularly poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navindu)
    Ema..?
    Education(al?) Maintainence Allowance. In the first year of further education (Year 12) in Britain, students from lower income families, up to £30K I think, get a weekly sum, between £10 and £30 for 100% attendance. It's supposed to be to help them with the cost of further education, like books and things, but you also get £100 bonuses each term, so some see it as more of just an incentive to stay at school.
    Some people find the fact that "people are getting paid to go to 6th form or college" unfair and moan a lot about it.

I see where they are coming from; my parents earn just over the amount to qualify, and they don't throw £30 a week at me, which is what it seems the EMA is supposed to emulate; coming from a "richer" family.
    But it doesn't bother me really, I'm just outlining an argument.

ReputationRep:

I can see why if you were just above the cut off point for EMA that it would really annoying that you couldn't get it. My mum earns nothing, and she is a single parent. Without EMA i would not have been able to afford to go to college and therefore uni. It paid my travel expenses, my books and my lunch and i still got a job three days a week because i had to save to come to university. So i can see why people think its unfair, but i'm gonna give back a lot more than £30 pw in lifelong service to the NHS (let alone my taxes!).

ReputationRep:
    is going to college really that more expensive than going to school?
    i think not.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well i get EMA and im not poor exactly but there have always been things that i couldnt have, like im going on a course about criminal law in december and im doing wk exp in France next yr, however, without the EMA i couldnt have paid for any of these things while people who live in higher income families could have afforded it. So what im saying is, is it fair to deny people like me the chance to do these things just for the exception of a few people who obviously will abuse the system, but obviously nothings perfect so stop trying to pick holes in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelrainbow32)
    Ok, well i get EMA and im not poor exactly but there have always been things that i couldnt have, like im going on a course about criminal law in december and im doing wk exp in France next yr, however, without the EMA i couldnt have paid for any of these things while people who live in higher income families could have afforded it. So what im saying is, is it fair to deny people like me the chance to do these things just for the exception of a few people who obviously will abuse the system, but obviously nothings perfect so stop trying to pick holes in it.
    No one's denying you the opportunity, you just can't afford everything you want. If your parents want to send you on a trip then they can sell the car or work harder. Is it fair that I dont live like a billionaire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelrainbow32)
    Pre-18 no compulsory trips for your course require paying for.
    least thatwas always the rule as far as i remember. yeh you miss out, but im sure you should be used to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Ummmm, not everbody who gets the EMA is particularly poor; there are people at my school who receive it and if they can afford our school fees then they aren't particularly poor.
    well to be considered poor one must earn less that 30k, if you think about it, people get the money for a reason, it is a good thing IMO, i see lots of people who should have left school stay on because of the money in that sense i can see where you are coming from. and as for people go to your fee paying school i dont think that you have heard of a bursaris of scholarship seeing as you are so well off. they are to help the "poor people" get into private school if they have the potential!!!

ReputationRep:
    The only stupid thing is when you see people wasting their money on stuff like PSPs & games every week. People who don't get EMA don't exactly tend to get 'treats' every week. I think it's totally fair as long as they use the money for what it's meant to be for though.

ReputationRep:
    give them 20 quid in book or whSMith vouchers then.
    why should we pay for someone to scrape 2 EEs at college?

ReputationRep:
    I think everybody should be entitled to it. A real job wouldn't pay in accordance to the ammount your parents earn, so why should this system? I think this just punishs familys who are stuck in the middle and don't qualify for these sort of things. By the time my family has been inelgible for things like EMA, tax allowances and such things we are probably on par with people who earn less than £30k per year. Its also doesn't matter how many childeren are in the family and the ammount of hours our parents work, my dad works 50+ hours per week in order to go over this ammount - why dont the government just tell my parents to get a divorce because it would be cheaper. I'm not against people from lower income familys getting help, its just what is classed as a lower income family slightly irritates me.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i understand your point, but thats what the EMA is for aswell, trying to make evreyone equal, giving me the same chance to do the same things as you- to figure out what i wanna do with my life.

ReputationRep:
    is going to college really that more expensive than going to school?
    i think not.

Unless you know my personal circumstances then you can't say that for sure. I got my travel fares paid and my lunch paid whilst i was at school. I also needed less textbooks during my GCSE's and all trips and things were paid for.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-18 no compulsory trips for your course require paying for.
    least thatwas always the rule as far as i remember. yeh you miss out, but im sure you should be used to that.
    OMG I cant believe you just said that.

ReputationRep:
    people say that the money is for travelling, i dont actually need the money, i borrow paper from school if its plain, i live 10 minutes froms school, i dont need to buy text books, i dont need uniform! i dont waste the money,i have not spent a penny of this years EMA payment, but last year a trip cost me £250, but i was a bright pupil and the school payed 70% meaning i paid £50, but i then got £30 back because the price was reduced. im planning to save my money for a "rainy day" hopefully one will never come. also i live alone and i have to pay for some thing that my sisters may need etc. its just nice to know what the money is there. i mean will we "EMAers" not pay our debt back to society? will we not pay the large amounts of taxes? are we not likely to go to university? will we have have jobs to pay taxes??
    you think about it inthe long run!!

--------------

give them 20 quid in book or whSMith vouchers then.
    why should we pay for someone to scrape 2 EEs at college?
    hey shut your mouth faggit, are you suggesting that people who get EMA are "wasters" the majority of my friends are people who recieve EMA and we are the people that contribute most of the school high grades!!! what are you getting hten? CC

ReputationRep:
    The problem with EMA and related things is that they go by household income, which assumes that you're parents will pay for everything, even if they don't. There's a girl and a guy in one of my classes. The girl works two jobs, out of choice, not because her family are poor, plus she gets the EMA. The guy has no EMA because of what his parents earn, yet his parents don't contribute for his travel or anything, and he has tried for months to get a job without success. Now I know who deserves that money more.

ReputationRep:
    i mean will we "EMAers" not pay our debt back to society? will we not pay the large amounts of taxes? are we not likely to go to university? will we have have jobs to pay taxes??
    you think about it inthe long run!!
    I guess that people who don't get EMA won't do exactly the same?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.