Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by greek_nina)
    I will apply to one of those two..I don't care too much about the difference between catered and self-catering..which do you think is better???

i'm just afraid that tey'll allocate me directly to oak house if I put it down due to being so undersubscribed..

what do you think of woolton?and how is allen hall?
    Ashburne is undersubscribed as well (because it's all-girls). Catered is easier, and more social in many ways - you get to know more people, but with self-catered you get to cook your own food.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you're right..i think i'll put down woolton or maybe allen,but woolton seems nicer..what do you think of them?

which hall are you in princess Ana?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yeah, you're right..i think i'll put down woolton or maybe allen,but woolton seems nicer..what do you think of them?

which hall are you in princess Ana?
    Ashburne And I will be next year too, so you may well see me around.

Woolton's probably nicer than Ashburne, but I've never been inside either, I'm afraid. Missed both on the Open House Day last year, and don't know anyone there well enough to be invited round.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I will be coming to Manchester next fall to study Econ/Business so I guess I will be around Booth Street. I have checked the website and searched on this forum and tried to pick out some interesting objects.

I have mainly two criterias:

1. Location (near the campus, near the city centry, I don't want to take the bus)
    2. Preferebly En-suite (not a must)

So far I have picked out everything close enough and divided them in to en-suite and shared facilities. Then I have ranked them based on what I've read on this thread.

En-suite:

1. Weston Hall
    2. Lambert Hall / Opal Hall

Many people seem to like Weston and it has great location. Lambert and Opal have nice locations too and are En-suite, but which is better and is there anything bad to say about them?

Shared:

1. Grosvenor Group of Halls - Bowden Court / Ronson Hall / Grosvenor
    2. Whitworth Park
    3. Moberly / Wright robinson hall / Chandos Hall

Many people seem to like Grosvenor and Whitworth and they have great locations.

Moberly seems also to have great location but haven't heard anything on this forum, is it bad for some reason or something? How are Wright and Chandos? Seem to have nice location also but haven't heard that much.

If I put Weston, Grosvenor and Whitworth on my list, and they all are in high demand what happens If I can't get any of them? Do they just randomly place me somewhere where no-one else wanted to live?

Thanks for all advice!

ReputationRep:
    princess ana..we might be in the same hall..
    how is it there?how long have you lived there?do you recommend it?how is social life? i might be asking too much..sorry

Vilho..i didn't like the grosvenor halls when i saw them..their location is good though..witworth park seems nice and its location is ideal..weston seemed ok too..i just walked by as I was in Manchester for my interview,didn't go inside..

i'll be going to fallowfield though..

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing Pharmacy in Manchester this Sept. What do you guys think of my choice:
    1.Weston
    2.Lambert
    3.Whitworth Park
    I do prefer en suite and what do you guys think of my chances of getting into them??

Also, how do i apply for accomodation?? I didnt receive any accomodation brochure. Do i get it after i made manchester my firm or i should have gotten it ages ago?? Should i let them know that i havent received anything regarding accomodation??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -nutz-)
    I'll be doing Pharmacy in Manchester this Sept. What do you guys think of my choice:
    1.Weston
    2.Lambert
    3.Whitworth Park
    I do prefer en suite and what do you guys think of my chances of getting into them??

Also, how do i apply for accomodation?? I didnt receive any accomodation brochure. Do i get it after i made manchester my firm or i should have gotten it ages ago?? Should i let them know that i havent received anything regarding accomodation??
    Hi!!
    I'm going to do pharmacy too!!
    I'm going for catered halls though... so can't say anything about your choices. But i heard only like 20% of ppl who apply for ensuite actually get it.

You should have received the accommodation booklet as soon as you received the offer. It should have been sent with the offer letter from school of pharmacy. You don't really need it though since you can view it all online... but its nice to have a hard copy, b/c its easier to look through!!
    Contact the pharmacy admissions and tell them you didn't receive it

ReputationRep:
    is fallowfield reall the best place to go?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how is it there?how long have you lived there?do you recommend it?how is social life? i might be asking too much..sorry
    In order: Good, a fairly uneventful hall (no 3am fire alarms ), since september, yes, what you make of it (as always) - no bar, but OP has one, that's fine

ReputationRep:

Vilho..i didn't like the grosvenor halls when i saw them..their location is good though..witworth park seems nice and its location is ideal..weston seemed ok too..i just walked by as I was in Manchester for my interview,didn't go inside..

i'll be going to fallowfield though..
    What was it you didn't like about them? Did you see all of them or just Grosvenor (Ronson/Bowden)?

Anyone else, has anyone some info about Moberly or the others on my list? Moberly seems to have ideal location too but haven't heard that much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would really like to goto Fallowfield in September despite studying economics and having to catch a bus to my lectures. I quite like the look of Woolton Hall because I'm really lazy and would like to be catered.

From the little symbols it has for the hall I gather that they're aren't any telephones on the corridors so I was wondering how people make calls? Should I prepare myself for racking up a huge mobile bill?

How far away are the hockey pitches? From what I gather they are just across the road.

Where do students live after their first year? I live in Nottingham at the moment, right next to the uni and I know that all the students move out to an area called Lenton, is there a similar area in Manchester?

I originally liked the look of Hulme Hall, it had everything I wanted. It is even within walking distance of where I'd be having my lectures. However I get the impression that Victoria Park is dull and boring, which does not attract me, is there much truth in this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irving)
    I get the impression that Victoria Park is dull and boring, which does not attract me, is there much truth in this?
    Your time at uni is only as good as you make it! If you stayed in your room and never went out then it would be dull at any uni on any campus in any hall!

Fallowfield is within a much easier distance of some of the pubs and clubs (but not all of them-Fallowfield is further away from the city centre) so it would be better to live there if you want to be going out most nights without much hasstle, vic park has a lot less nightlife in its immediate surroundings but it doesn't mean that you can't go out at all! Personally i also really liked the look of living in fallowfield for the night life and not having to pay for taxis home if bars are close etc but in the end i know that i'd be way too distracted living there so i've gone for vic park instead. But having said that it doesn't mean that i will be having a dull and boring time. I'll be going out most nights and meeting wicked people the same as everyone else in every hall

ReputationRep:
    hey, hopefully studying econ at manchester if i get the grades.
    so undecided about which accomodation to go to, dont want to go to one and regret it after a few months.

split in between picking one like whitworth park in the city centre(since it is closest to where i study) or one of the fallowfield ones (Richmond Park/ owen park/woolton hall/oakhouse). some info of these areas if you know what theyre like.

anyone got an idea which would be ideal out of the fallowfield ones? Richmond Park/ owen park /woolton hall/ oakhouse.

accomodation at city or fallowfields is best?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Once again this will bring up the same old discusion...

You will have a good time in halls, no matter where you are.
    You will probably find it easier to meet new people if you go catered, but will then be tied to your hall for all meals.
    In my opinion, Fallowfield is overated. There are just as many student friendly bars towards the city centre (maybe not actually in it at weekends) as there are in Fallowfield, if not more, but they are more spaced out.
    En-suite halls are great if you have got loads of spare cash. They are a waste of money if you haven't.
    Owens Park Tower has a great atmospere and great views but frequently gets evacuated at 3am cos some idiot set the fire alarm off.

ReputationRep:
    hi. I'll be starting Pharmacy in sept too
    but because i live in germany, i have to have 39 weeks accomodation, not 35. now i'm bit anxious, because i only found 2 halls (the grosvenor group of halls & whitworth park) all the other 39 week ones are catered. which i don't want. so should i apply for just those two? or do have to put down a third, even though i most definitely don't want catered?

ReputationRep:
    have you thought of going to the fallowfield campus?
    these have 39 weeks rent and self catering: richmond park, oak house,
    sheavyn house
    city campus is closer to your lectures but bus is £2 a week so you can get to lectures from fallowfield easily. one mile trip cant be that long. fallowfield has the best student bars from what ive heard, which means you'll probably want to be up there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yes, oakhouse meets my budget, but it's miles from the city. how late into night do the busses run? but i can put it as 3rd choice and just hope i get into the other ones

ReputationRep:
    well its just over a mile away from my lectures, think i read on some other thread its about a 10 minute journey.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Buses run up until 3am most nights (and start again at 4am in the morning ). I think they run later some nights, but not sure.

ReputationRep:
    is fallowfield really the best and main place if u want a great social life i know its what u make it but yeah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.