kristienc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello all,

I'm very new to this site so please bare with me. I am a third year student at Hull studying Politics and International Relations. Basically, at college I had no clue what I wanted to do at University, I just wanted to go, so I picked the subject that I was doing the best in at A-Level.

I have 5 A-Levels to date in English Language and Literature, Government and Politics, Psychology, Law and General Studies. I also have 12 G.C.S.E's including the standard English and Maths which is needed on most PGCE courses.

Basically, I applied for a few PGCE's and got rejected because my degree wasn't specific enough. My degree has some aspects of politics, law, and history.

The only one to accept my application and offer me an interview was Sheffield Hallam, for the PGCE in Learning and Skills (with the chance to specify in ESOL or numeracy/literacy). I thought, wow great someone accepted me! Then I looked at the website : 'We normally interview all applicants'.

Basically :

* Is my degree or other qualifications relevant enough or am I wasting my time?
* Has anyone else been accepted onto this course in the past or doing it now and what degree did you have, was it again relevant?
* What careers could I go onto? The website is not entirely clear. I chose the course as I am interested mostly in working in colleges and the ESOL aspect attracted me.

I'm so nervous. I'm living independantly and come July I will only have a part-time job and no where to live, no jobs have accepted me despite many interviews and this is something that I REALLY want to do. I can live with my mum for no longer than a few months really as her flat is tiny, and this is my last chance.

Thank you all very much for your help
Naida
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't offer any information about this particular course, but someone at my interview for Primary at Leicester had a law degree, so I wouldn't give up hope! If you're unsuccessful and decide to reapply next year, just really state in your personal statement how the skills you learnt whilst studying for your degree are relevant to teaching as well as how any of the subject knowledge may be linked to teaching. You could talk about how studying for politics has given you a certain way of thinking with an open mind and an awareness that there are lots of different beliefs and opinions, and that's important as children need to be educated to be aware that different beliefs exist and others' beliefs may not be the same as theirs and to develop a tolerance and understanding of this.
Not sure what things you already put so this may not be any help, but just wanted you to know that it is possible!!

Your academic background is amazing and that really makes a difference to being considered too, so if you draw anything you possibly can from your degree and make it relevant to teaching, reflect on all your experiences that can be linked to teaching and comment on the fact that you're really hard working, you should be ok!
kristienc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Eep thanks! I've also applied for Huddersfield now so fingers crossed. Not sure what Huddersfield is like really as a university yet but their PGCE is more relevant to my degree and its not too far from Sheffield or Hull where I am from.

Thanks for your advice I feel a bit more confident about it now!
Kirstie92
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I had an interview for PGCE at sheff Hallam (5-11yr) just before Christmas (2015) so I wanted to tell people all about the process because I know it's helpful when revising for the interview day. First of all I got a place 😁 So I start September 2016!... So I must have done something right in the interview ha! They invite you for interview if your application has been successful and my interview date was a week later. The whole day included a talk about the course, a 5 minutes teaching task, maths and English tests (about 20 mins long each ) and an individual interview with a lecturer from the university and a teacher from a local school. They do tell you what is expected of you on an email.They say that you will be in a group of about 5/6 people so I thought that would be all of the people on the interview day but actually when you get there, there is about 40 people and then you are split into groups. You are all together for the initial talk about the course but following that you stick with your little group (apart from the individual interview obviously). Following that it was the teaching task! I was so scared of this before hand but it really isn't as bad as it seems. 5 mins is very quick so don't do anything too complicated. 2 people observing and you teach the rest your group of applicants. People taught things such as a maths activity, English activity, learning a dance routine, teaching how to pass a ball in hockey etc. So although you can teach something for adults e.g a foreign language, all the people in my group chose to teach something you would teach in a primary school classroom. TOP TIP: explain why you are doing the activity before starting. What is the learning objective? Then at the end go over what you did and follow up with the others what they have learnt from the activity. Remember... 5 mins isn't long, so don't do anything too complex! They are looking for confident people who are good at explaining, talk loud and clear and listen to others. One person even brought rewards in for the rest of us (chocolates)... I don't know if they thought it was a good idea but it's a idea which perhaps you can think about. Maths test: simple Marths questions such as long division/ multiplication / addition / subtraction, fractions, decimals , percentages, areas, perimeter, simple algebra, problem solving English test: writing about behaviour management... This may change so don't rely on this but bare in mind that is what I was asked to do. They are looking for neat handwriting as well as content. Remember punctuation and grammar!! Individual interview: very relaxed atmosphere and just think of it as a normal conversation about your experiences in a school. This is the time where you show your exam results etc. The two interviewers ask you how you think your 5 min teaching task went and how they thought it went. They then ask you about 4/5 questions on your experience.Things like 'what have you learnt?' 'What did you find the most interesting on your experience' 'what recent news is there which effects schools' 'who is the educational secretary' then they ask you if you have any questions... And then you are free to go Overall it was definitely more enjoyable than I thought. Don't get too stressed over it because it was definitely easier and better than I imagined. I hope this advice helps! Feel free to ask questions!Kirstie
JLou15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing cert ed at Huddersfield and been invited to an interview on the 8th feb, I'm absolutely terrified, I've been trying to find someone who's doing the same but no luck as of yet our 5 minute presentation is on 'the importance of your subject in the lifelong learning sector' no idea where to start!
Xiaobaobao
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kirstie92)
Hi, I had an interview for PGCE at sheff Hallam (5-11yr) just before Christmas (2015) so I wanted to tell people all about the process because I know it's helpful when revising for the interview day. First of all I got a place 😁 So I start September 2016!... So I must have done something right in the interview ha! They invite you for interview if your application has been successful and my interview date was a week later. The whole day included a talk about the course, a 5 minutes teaching task, maths and English tests (about 20 mins long each ) and an individual interview with a lecturer from the university and a teacher from a local school. They do tell you what is expected of you on an email.They say that you will be in a group of about 5/6 people so I thought that would be all of the people on the interview day but actually when you get there, there is about 40 people and then you are split into groups. You are all together for the initial talk about the course but following that you stick with your little group (apart from the individual interview obviously). Following that it was the teaching task! I was so scared of this before hand but it really isn't as bad as it seems. 5 mins is very quick so don't do anything too complicated. 2 people observing and you teach the rest your group of applicants. People taught things such as a maths activity, English activity, learning a dance routine, teaching how to pass a ball in hockey etc. So although you can teach something for adults e.g a foreign language, all the people in my group chose to teach something you would teach in a primary school classroom. TOP TIP: explain why you are doing the activity before starting. What is the learning objective? Then at the end go over what you did and follow up with the others what they have learnt from the activity. Remember... 5 mins isn't long, so don't do anything too complex! They are looking for confident people who are good at explaining, talk loud and clear and listen to others. One person even brought rewards in for the rest of us (chocolates)... I don't know if they thought it was a good idea but it's a idea which perhaps you can think about. Maths test: simple Marths questions such as long division/ multiplication / addition / subtraction, fractions, decimals , percentages, areas, perimeter, simple algebra, problem solving English test: writing about behaviour management... This may change so don't rely on this but bare in mind that is what I was asked to do. They are looking for neat handwriting as well as content. Remember punctuation and grammar!! Individual interview: very relaxed atmosphere and just think of it as a normal conversation about your experiences in a school. This is the time where you show your exam results etc. The two interviewers ask you how you think your 5 min teaching task went and how they thought it went. They then ask you about 4/5 questions on your experience.Things like 'what have you learnt?' 'What did you find the most interesting on your experience' 'what recent news is there which effects schools' 'who is the educational secretary' then they ask you if you have any questions... And then you are free to go Overall it was definitely more enjoyable than I thought. Don't get too stressed over it because it was definitely easier and better than I imagined. I hope this advice helps! Feel free to ask questions!Kirstie
Thanks for this
JamieInPompey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This post is 5 years old. Lol.
Sunnie1245
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JLou15)
I'm doing cert ed at Huddersfield and been invited to an interview on the 8th feb, I'm absolutely terrified, I've been trying to find someone who's doing the same but no luck as of yet our 5 minute presentation is on 'the importance of your subject in the lifelong learning sector' no idea where to start!
Hey, how did your interview go? I have an interview at Hud for the same course! I'm so nervous. What was the day like, Can you give me any tips? Thanks
Sunnie1245
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JLou15)

Hey, how did your interview go? I have an interview at Hud for the same course! I'm so nervous. What was the day like, Can you give me any tips? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads