Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the mods in this place really need to sort their policing policies out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    or the possible future role of the UN in the region i should be able to. but i know that it will simply get closed down, or merged into 'current middle east conflict'.
    No it wont, because its a legitimate discussion within itself and thus merits its own thread. Just as media coverage of the conflict and peoples opinions in regards to the middle east all warrant seperate threads. Posting news reports every time there is an Israeli strike do not.

Its a form of censorship
    What rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    i did that once. it was closed within 4 hours by vienna because it was not approriate to 'analyse every little incident in the conflict'.
    Funny, i don't know why we don't just start a thread 'war on terror' and put everything iraq, afghanistan, stockwell shooting, 7/7, madrid, 9/11 etc in it.
    A gross distortion of the reality.

PErsonally i only ever merged a thread generally if it was trollage (like back in the day when there was that rabidly anti-israel guy who used to make 3/4 really general anti-israel threads a day)
    Sorry, when were you a mod?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kano the Magnificent)
    the mods in this place really need to sort their policing policies out
    In what sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    In what sense?
    By banning spammers of course.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think the modding has been quite fair, especially considering how polarised to one side the mods tend to be (Bismark, Vienna pro-Israeli and Agent Smith on the middle ground, perhaps slightl pro-Israeli)*.

*Pro-Israeli meaning taking Israel's side in this conflict, not that they're staunchly and with bias always on Israel's side (though that may be :p: )!

ReputationRep:
    I've been on warning points permanently for a month :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    I've been on warning points permanently for a month :p:
    You do tend to resort to insults quite a bit, its quite annoying actually as some people may discount your arguments which are generally sound because of warning points or because you've made one or two mis-placed silly comments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X)
    I actually think the modding has been quite fair, especially considering how polarised to one side the mods tend to be (Bismark, Vienna pro-Israeli and Agent Smith on the middle ground, perhaps slightl pro-Israeli)*.

*Pro-Israeli meaning taking Israel's side in this conflict, not that they're staunchly and with bias always on Israel's side (though that may be :p: )!
    Well, if we added two strong pro-Palestinians for parity all the modding would end up being done by me because the other four would be too busy arguing. :p: Not that I'd mind, but it would mean I'd be spending every waking hour on TSR.

*checks clock* No, that's not yet hypocrisy.

Other than that, it's nice to get a compliment once in a while. Makes the job worthwhile. Thank you.
    How's it going solo-modding US Study, if I may ask?

(Original post by X)
    You do tend to resort to insults quite a bit, its quite annoying actually as some people may discount your arguments which are generally sound because of warning points or because you've made one or two mis-placed silly comments!
    Jon, he's got a point. You're not stupid, and you don't post anything really seriously offensive, it's just the language!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Jon, he's got a point. You're not stupid, and you don't post anything really seriously offensive, it's just the language!
    Idiots annoy me. Always have, always will. When I have to counter the same lie 18 times a week, I get a little sick of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X)

I prefer the term pro-freedom-loving civilisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I prefer the term pro-freedom-loving civilisations.
    Define freedom :p:

ReputationRep:
    Idiots annoy me. Always have, always will. When I have to counter the same lie 18 times a week, I get a little sick of it.
    Be that as it may, bad language is bad language.

ReputationRep:
    What's with the stalin-esque modding last night/this morning?

ReputationRep:
    OK, the D&D Off-Topic Thread, Beta Version is now operational. Let's see if we can transfer all our OT activity to that one location, 'k?

Impatience is no excuse for poor debating style.

There will always be those with a less refined style of debating - those who are new to debating, and those joining an argument late on (anyone that seriously say they would read through the 100+ posts prior before posting is a liar).
    Personally I think that for those of an impatient/intolerant persuasion as you have just admitted, then merging and forcing threads to be many hundreds of posts long is not a very good solution conducive to good debating.

ReputationRep:
    There will always be those with a less refined style of debating - those who are new to debating,those who are new to debating,
    Should not be open to novices, you would prefer a closed forum? If you wouldn't why even bother mentioning it? People improve with time, (sometimes) I imagine that for a large number of D&Ders this is the first debating they have done

and those joining an argument late onanyone that seriously say they would read through the 100+ posts prior before posting is a liar.
    Someone particularly interested in a subject might well read a large amount before taking part, I occasionally do so myself. On one occasion I read through the entirety of 16 pages of debate to allow myself to take part. Maybe you wouldn't but don't make that assumption about other people.

(Original post by Nefarious)
    Should not be open to novices, you would prefer a closed forum? If you wouldn't why even bother mentioning it? People improve with time, (sometimes) I imagine that for a large number of D&Ders this is the first debating they have done

Someone particularly interested in a subject might well read a large amount before taking part, I occasionally do so myself. On one occasion I read through the entirety of 16 pages of debate to allow myself to take part. Maybe you wouldn't but don't make that assumption about other people.
    Ok, in my god knows many years here the one thing i have always pushed for is D&D to be more inclusive, more tolerant of new members who don't know debating etiquette etc. If you re-read my post it was me pointing out to JH that saying you get annoyed by n00bs/(people joining a discussion with no idea what was said 6 days back) is no excuse to poor manners or rudeness. Its an intrinsic part of D&D that new people will come in the middle of debates. Deal with it.

No i wouldn't read 16 pages of debate. Most people wouldn't. there are over 2000 posts on the middel east conflict, how many must you read to stop yourself repeating someone earlier? 100? 200?

ReputationRep:
    You haven't answered my post, Biz.

I also like that not one of the other mods will touch the report. People I don't like banned? Yes a lot of post reports tend to be against people I don't like - but if you look, I've made a couple against people I have no desire to see banned. Are you just a little annoyed because JonH was banned? (which is nothing to do with me btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    You haven't answered my post, Biz.

I also like that not one of the other mods will touch the report. People I don't like banned? Yes a lot of post reports tend to be against people I don't like - but if you look, I've made a couple against people I have no desire to see banned. Are you just a little annoyed because JonH was banned? (which is nothing to do with me btw).
    You're reporting posts whose only offense is having different views from your own. I'm not going to get into the specifics, but you know what I'm talking about. Jon hasn't been banned for a while, and when he was, it wasn't because of you, so I fail to see what you're talking about.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.