This discussion is closed.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
im in the 2nd round of auditioning for a speech giving competition ('declamation') and need to find a dramatic piece (funny or serious) that lasts (or can be cut short) to 1.5-2 mins. ideas? for the first round i did shakespeare's henry Vs 'once more into the breech' speech...
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the Maniacs monologue from Accidental Death of a Salesman by Dario Fo... not sure if it's what you want but it sure is fun to do hehehe
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
im in the 2nd round of auditioning for a speech giving competition ('declamation') and need to find a dramatic piece (funny or serious) that lasts (or can be cut short) to 1.5-2 mins. ideas? for the first round i did shakespeare's henry Vs 'once more into the breech' speech...
edders! my main man!!

did you watch the rocky film the other night?

why dont you be rocky out of that? i can train you to be a good boxer!
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
did you watch the rocky film the other night?
im in the usa :rolleyes:
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Anything shakespearean would be good, and it would show your proud patriotism...

I would do all the world's a stage...hehehe.

Oh, just realised you've already done Shakespeare.

Do Lucky's speech in waiting for Godot...ROTFL!!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im in the usa :rolleyes:
it was on bbc though, so it would have been on tv over there 2.

it was rocky 3, the one where rocky gets the cr*p kicked out of him by that massive black guy.

then apollo creed trains him up for the re-match, and the eye of teh tiger music comes on as he gets motivated for the fight.

he then beats the black guy who is 10 times the size of him, and says a cheesy line at the end with his eyes practically dislodged.

cant beat good entertainment!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dramatic piece (funny) - what about the one where gervais does his dance?

dramatic - yes, it got the audience stunned
funny - yes

1.5 - 2 mins - yes.

see edders, there's always an answer.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
personally, i'd avoid shakespear, simply cos everyone does it. i found that mosca's opening to act 3 speech

" i fear i shall begin to grow in love with my dear self..."

was really good.

from a play called volpone by ben johnson, a contemporary of shakespeares. very good, very original.

btw, i didnt know u did drama, ithoguth you were a computer dude?
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by El_Borish)
btw, i didnt know u did drama, ithoguth you were a computer dude?
its not really drama, its more oratory (its a speech giving competition).
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how about the 'i have a dream speech'... I don't know I have no brain... or Blood Brothers... the opening thing with the narrator...
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
"Out damn spot, out"-Macbeth.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
"Out damn spot, out"-Macbeth.
lol I can just imagine that.

How about something from hamlet if you want to stick with the Shaespeare theme.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
something of PG Wodehouse will be good, he is a fantastic comic writer.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd go with a British playwright, Americans tend to love the British thing I know you've already done Shakespeare but he has an enormous range; you did a declamatory, rousing speech first off, now how about a sorrowful monologue? Or just heartfelt... maybe something from Romeo and Juliet? 'O she doth teach the torches to burn bright' etc? How long does it need to be?

edit: 1.5-2 mins, sorry, just spotted that...
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by me!)
... or Blood Brothers... the opening thing with the narrator...
elaborate
i think maybe i should do some more contemporary stuff, so no shakespeare suggestions thanks. im looking at some of our glorious leader's (blair, lol) speeches now...
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
elaborate
i think maybe i should do some more contemporary stuff, so no shakespeare suggestions thanks. im looking at some of our glorious leader's (blair, lol) speeches now...

How about some Churchill? He was good at rousing speeches
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
I'd go with a British playwright, Americans tend to love the British thing I know you've already done Shakespeare but he has an enormous range; you did a declamatory, rousing speech first off, now how about a sorrowful monologue? Or just heartfelt... maybe something from Romeo and Juliet? 'O she doth teach the torches to burn bright' etc? How long does it need to be?

edit: 1.5-2 mins, sorry, just spotted that...
hey there, the romeo&juliet idea is pretty good actually hmmm...
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What about the speech from inspector calls. I'm clutching at straws now. I'm not too good with politics.
not1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
How about some Churchill? He was good at rousing speeches
i have seriously considered the 'fight them on the beaches' speech, but i dont know how much emotion i can put into that
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have seriously considered the 'fight them on the beaches' speech, but i dont know how much emotion i can put into that

Lol - thinking about it, it would be awfully tempting to try to put the Churchill voice on as well, I suspect, and that would probably not be a good idea...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (217)
68.03%
No (102)
31.97%

Watched Threads