Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basically how long do you have to have been in the country befroe you qualify for normal not international fees? does anyone know? peacenik x

ReputationRep:
    anecodotally more than 3 years, for purposes other than education (LEA do the deciding i image).

but sure someone else can come along with the official wording/links.

ReputationRep:
    The official wording/links (as pinched from Oxford's website, though they're a country-wide thing):

The University currently applies the following definition for determining whether students are entitled to pay University composition fees at the appropriate 'home and EU' rate:
    1.A person who on the relevant date (a) is settled in the United Kingdom within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971, and
    (b) meets the residence conditions referred to in paragraph 9. ...

... 9.The residence conditions referred to above are that (a) the person has been ordinarily resident throughout the three-year period preceding the relevant date, in the case of a person mentioned in paragraph 1, in the United Kingdom and Islands or, in the case of a person mentioned in paragraphs 5 to 8, in the European Economic Area; and (b) his residence in the United Kingdom and Islands, or in the European Economic Area, as the case may be, has not during any part of the period referred to in sub-paragraph a) been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.
    10. A person shall be treated as ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area if he would have been so resident at the relevant time but for the fact that he, his spouse, his parent, guardian, any other person having parental responsibility for him, or any person having care of him while he is a child, is or was temporarily employed outside the area in question.
    11. A reference to the relevant date is a reference to the 1 September, 1 January, or 1 April closest to the beginning of the first term of the person's course.

Full text at: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/finance/classif.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    anecodotally more than 3 years, for purposes other than education (LEA do the deciding i image).

but sure someone else can come along with the official wording/links.
    No, the individual unis decide.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you have to have attained the british citizenship first but if you're a UK citizen but been out of the country for a long time,u have to have lived here for 3 years (u're allowed short trips out) before u're classified a citizen n get home fees.to get citizenship u have to have lived here for more than 5 years and be older than 18 and take the exam and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolsakaG)
    No, the individual unis decide.
    far enough surprises me though given it's the LEAs home students apply to for financial student support.. so if the LEA deemed someone 'home' i can't see that the uni would question it, given they'd get the same amount of money!

Shylock - you missed out the crucial 'for purposes other than full time education' in there! that caveat is the reason i knew anything about the overseas fees situation.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    from one of PQs links..

The fee status of a student will be the same throughout a course. A student who does not meet the basic criteria for ‘home’ fees in the regulations at the start of their course will not usually be reassessed even if s/he accumulates three years’ ordinary residence or is granted settled status during the course.

is it just me or is that really unfair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    a bit - but in theory if you're living in the country for the purposes of a HE course then that fits the "educational purposes" clause...
    yeah, i see the purpose of that clause - but how do they define the 'wholly/mainly' educational purposes part though?

- if you're doing a HE course & go home for all of each & every vacation - then sure i'd say your purpose for being here has just been 'educational'. or you plan to return home after graduation/don't have a visa to stay in this country beyond student-ness etc.

- but if you're doing a HE course here, go 'home' rarely - say once a year for a few weeks, but otherwise stay here (with other half, family etc) & take on paid employment... & you're highly likely to settle here, have a British passport etc. it doesn't seem so clear that your purpose for being here is wholly or even mainly educational.

If you've got a visa allowing you to stay in the country then it's worth taking a gap yr or two to build up the non-education residency period IMO and work the system to your own advantage (while also earning a bit of cash/experience).
    you'd need to take 3 years worth though..? otherwise once you start uni if you'd only 1 or 2 then you'd be fixed into the 'overseas' bracket & not reassessed?

i guess i just have a specific case in mind that perhaps a tad atypical. but oh what those overseas fees could buy me in diamonds.. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Elles)
    yeah, i see the purpose of that clause - but how do they define the 'wholly/mainly' educational purposes part though?

- if you're doing a HE course & go home for all of each & every vacation - then sure i'd say your purpose for being here has just been 'educational'. or you plan to return home after graduation/don't have a visa to stay in this country beyond student-ness etc.

- but if you're doing a HE course here, go 'home' rarely - say once a year for a few weeks, but otherwise stay here (with other half, family etc) & take on paid employment... & you're highly likely to settle here, have a British passport etc. it doesn't seem so clear that your purpose for being here is wholly or even mainly educational.

you'd need to take 3 years worth though..? otherwise once you start uni if you'd only 1 or 2 then you'd be fixed into the 'overseas' bracket & not reassessed?

i guess i just have a specific case in mind that perhaps a tad atypical. but oh what those overseas fees could buy me in diamonds.. :p:
    if u start uni not paying then u don't pay through out but if u start by paying but u fufil the three year thing,u still have to pay.that sucks.i've got a mate who's got to take a gap year coz of that now.

ReputationRep:
    All the above information is correct but not at all set in stone. It varies with the uni you apply to and the course you apply for, and the three year rule isn't particularly mandatory. I know several people who have lived abroad all of their lives in places such as Singapore, Thailand etc but they were still given home status after making an appeal to the universities. Some unis refused to grant them home status, but at least one did. Unis in England and Wales are more flexible when it comes to this, I heard Scottish ones aren't.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.