Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has done or is doing GCSE Chinese? I used to learn Chinese when I was very little, but have forgotton how to write nearly everything! I hated it before, but I regret not having carried on to do the GCSE exam. I can understand Cantonese, but cannot speak it very well.

I just need some books or any past papers that anyone might recommend to me... I am learning the traditional Cantonese writing and speaking. Also, does anyone know of any good CDs/ tapes to help get the pronounciation right?

How hard/ easy was this exam for people who didn't speak it, or weren't used to speaking it at home with their parents? I know I should really get in the habit of speaking it with my parents, but I always get lazy about it, lol.

Any other useful information about this exam would be greatly appreciated!

Also, another question: How long did you actually study the Chinese before you did the exam?

Many thanks,

Icy Ghost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Ghost)
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has done or is doing GCSE Chinese? I used to learn Chinese when I was very little, but have forgotton how to write nearly everything! I hated it before, but I regret not having carried on to do the GCSE exam. I can understand Cantonese, but cannot speak it very well.

I just need some books or any past papers that anyone might recommend to me... I am learning the traditional Cantonese writing and speaking. Also, does anyone know of any good CDs/ tapes to help get the pronounciation right?

How hard/ easy was this exam for people who didn't speak it, or weren't used to speaking it at home with their parents? I know I should really get in the habit of speaking it with my parents, but I always get lazy about it, lol.

Any other useful information about this exam would be greatly appreciated!

Also, another question: How long did you actually study the Chinese before you did the exam?

Many thanks,

Icy Ghost
    The actual paper itself is bloody easy, and a lot of it you can blag through with common sense and a minimal knowledge of Chinese, but I'd say you should start speaking with your parents and to get the accent watch some cool Cantonese films like Infernal Affairs. There are some books out for the GCSE course done by the British Council which are good for a bit of vocab, and from there it's all about trying to learn as much as you can from anything really between now and when you do the exam - I did it after a year and managed to scrape an A* (and I am pretty rubbish at Chinese).. also remember to plan the stuff you can plan beforehand, like the writing paper - the first question is always a 5 marker on 5 objects, and there's usually a letter which you need to start and end properly etc.. get some past papers and take a look, and ask any teachers who might be able to help you. You can do well with a minimal knowledge of Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks does anyone else have any info or experiences with GCSE Chinese?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to take it, but didn't because 1) I was too scared that I might fail and 2) I didn't think I coud've coped with 14 GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    woot go use chinese gcse peeps. i took it a couple of years ago and i got an A. i had learnt it from age 5 cos i went to chinese school on sundays but we messed around more than anything. the difficulty depends on what board you do. the board i did meant i couldnt do the speaking and courseowkr part which sucked cos i so could have got full marks in them. so are you chinese then cos u kinda sound in the same position as me. im chinese and i can speak cantonese well enough to get my meaning across but rubbish enough to still be laughed at, but i can understand most.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly good at Chinese, I can only say simple things like "Where are we going?" and "I feel really tired today" and basic conversational stuff like that.
    If you learnt it from age 5, and got an A then what are the chances of me starting this late and getting an A ? Did you speak it a lot with your parents?

ReputationRep:
    i dont speak it to my parents but i do to my relatives because they can't speak english. actually, it sounds like my chinese is a lot better than you cos you sound like you really cant speak it whereas i can just really craply.

i think you have a good chance of getting an A because we just pissed about a lot at chinese school and im guessing you're around 17 so you'd probably be more committed to learning and the gcse is actually pretty easy. i found it actually easier than gcse german so if you've done any other foreign languages, it about the same

also, im guessing you're chinese which automatically puts you at an advantage because the gcse is actually designed for people taking it as a completely foreign subject. if you can understand simplistic chinese then you'll be fine on the lsitening. with the reading, you just need to know vocab but for the writing, its difficult because you need to know vocab and grammer. how are you planning on learning chinese??

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on just getting a few books for the writing... I'm OK with listening because I can understand that fairly well, but I might practice with my parents for pronouncing things. How hard is the writing test and what is the reading test like?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    the reading test is really easy. i cant really remember anymore but they have pictures of stuff (ie a football) and you have to circle the correct answer, but the questions progress in difficulty so the last question is a long piece of text which you have to answer questions on. basically, its exactly the same as the german/french/spanish reading exam.

the writing exam is really difficult. i think i had to write two pieces on different subjects and i dont think i got given a choice. i think mine was on my school sports day which sounds fairly narrow but you can add in stuff that you know, ie: if you can do descriptions, you could describe your friends, etc. for the writing exam, i would recommend practicing essays because quite often, with the question, you can add other stuff you know which isnt really strictly relevant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! I'm still looking for exam papers and any books to help me with it, so if anyone knows any, I'd be greatful

Thanks again

The exam board website has past papers on it.

ReputationRep:

Icy Ghost
    piece of cake, 2 of the 3 papers are basically multiple choice (I think- can't really remember). The only paper which you might have trouble on is the composistion paper.

ReputationRep:
    ooh, thanks for that too

What exam board is Chinese GCSE with? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ooh, thanks for that too

What exam board is Chinese GCSE with? :confused:
    I know that edexcel definitely offer it, but I'm not too sure about the others. Besides, edexcel is the easiest

ReputationRep:
    Ah... Edexcel it is

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.