The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gooner231
Yeah well... if/when Im at Emma next year you can lecture me on oldness then :p:

HEY, I could be your mother. That would be creepy.
Reply 61
Heya :smile: I'm thinking of applying to do history at Oxford and I got my results yesterday. They were all good and on the whole I was pleased, except my history mark was only 87 out of 100 and it's been emphasised that you need at least 90% to stand a chance. However I was actually happy to get that mark in the first place because I had (literally) no sleep the night before the exam, I felt hugely nervous and I had a breakdown in the middle of it so I feel I could just get 93 or more in unit 2 and it'll level out. But I just want to hear some other opinions.
Hoping for Natural Science, at whichever college puts least emphasis on grades for admissions, or minds least about resits :P - Reason being I reckon I can do well at interview, but my results this week could have been better - Full Marks for Biology, but 106/120 for Physics, 74/90 for chemistry, and 80% (overall so far) for maths.
Original post by molthemoo
Heya :smile: I'm thinking of applying to do history at Oxford and I got my results yesterday. They were all good and on the whole I was pleased, except my history mark was only 87 out of 100 and it's been emphasised that you need at least 90% to stand a chance. However I was actually happy to get that mark in the first place because I had (literally) no sleep the night before the exam, I felt hugely nervous and I had a breakdown in the middle of it so I feel I could just get 93 or more in unit 2 and it'll level out. But I just want to hear some other opinions.

I can give you a hundred (or nearabouts) reasons why history at Cambridge is a billion times better than history at Oxford, if you want to discuss any of that PM me.

But yeah you don't need 90% to do incredibly. In my first unit at AS, I got 71%... albeit with the next one being 93%, the fact remains that you don't need to panic too much about having the greatest AS results ever.

Be predicted the A*AA required, have a solid personal statement and reference, be prepared to discuss your ideas, essays and personal statement in your interview and then you've got a great chance :smile:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
For the love of God, this thread is way too early!

How keen can you people get? :zomg:

Spoiler

Well, I know that I want to go to Oxbridge since Mai 2009 :biggrin:

And as I´m from Germany, where all the grades you get in your four reports and A-Level results are added, I have already had to "collect" really good grades since last September :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Alex-jc123
If I choose Cambridge over Oxford, then it will be history at Trinity Hall.

I could literally answer a few questions about trinity hall!
Reply 66
Original post by Aloysius94
Hello,

Well done on your offer! I am vaguely considering applying for English (well definitely English, the question is where) and was wondering why you chose Cambridge over Oxford.

Thanks

Hi

Well, choosing Cambridge was course based, mainly. I'd suggest you go on the respective course websites (best ones for Cambridge English are here and here. Oxford's website is pretty easy to navigate. Basically I preferred the "do a bit of everything" idea in the first two years because the literature that I enjoy spans an equally wide period, and there was none of the "either/or" rubbish ( :wink: ) that you seem to get with Oxford, and no "Introduction to Literary Studies" paper, which I would rather pick up through the actual course and then practical criticism papers etc.

Prac crit was another key reason for choosing it because I like really close-reading and discussion; for more info on that go here, and for any further questions you have after that PM me and I'll answer as best I can, if I can't then I'll ask people I know who are already there :p:

The rest of the choice was that I preferred the city but that isn't really important here :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!
Original post by -raisa
I'll be a 2012 MML applicant as well! yay!

I'll be doing French and ab initio German or Russian (undecided) :smile:

Yay, another linguist! :five: Which college are you thinking of applying to?

Choose German! I might be a tad biased, but I think it's one of the best languages to study, I love it. The ab initio languages sound really interesting, I quite fancy doing Dutch or Catalan or something, I think you can do those in your second year on top of two post-A level ones?

Bit worried about my Spanish at the moment - last week my teacher decided that I was at a D after getting Bs from my other teacher for ages, then suddenly this week I'm at an A - WTF? All very strange and quite annoying.

I should probably go and do some revision now - German oral in a few weeks! :eek:
Original post by Sasha193

Original post by Sasha193
Wow thats great! well done on your offer! :smile: I was hoping to try for cambridge for 2010 aswell....and was wonderingg how were your module results? were they all like 90 and above? because i heard cambridge only except very high module results...
is 87 still good enough or not? haha i know it sounds silly but i just wanted to make sure ! lol thanks! :tongue: :smile:

Hello :smile:
I got above 90% for all modules apart from history. But honestly, dont worry about it! 87% is a very good score, and as long as your not applying to Trinity, shouldnt be a problem at all :smile:
In fact, i know a few people who got offers with only a B in chemisty, so UMS marks are only a part of the selection criteria :smile:
Original post by nickbob00

Original post by nickbob00
Hoping for Natural Science, at whichever college puts least emphasis on grades for admissions, or minds least about resits :P - Reason being I reckon I can do well at interview, but my results this week could have been better - Full Marks for Biology, but 106/120 for Physics, 74/90 for chemistry, and 80% (overall so far) for maths.

your results are very good, so dont worry about it :smile: also, you have the summer results as well
I know that Trinity seem to put a LOT of emphasis on grades (and BMAT), but other colleges should be fine
And i know that Caius interviewed a few people with Cs in one of their modules scores, so UMS marks are important, but they're only a part of the selection criteria
(plus, your marks are very good anyway!)

hello, as far as i'm aware, oxford don't place as much emphasis on UMS marks than cambridge, so don't worry about your marks :smile:
Also, i only got 80% in one of my history modules and got an offer (cambridge), so 87% is considered a high enough mark, although try to do really well in your other modules
Btw which oxford college are you considering? i know a girl who got an offer from lady Margaret Hall (for history), and i think she got a B in one of her history modules last year. For both oxford and cambridge, the interview is a lot more important, and also focus on your personal statement and try to make it stand out
Good luck for next year!
For the love of God, this thread is way too early!

How keen can you people get? :zomg:

Spoiler

:tongue: Don't be mean, don't you remember how excited we were!

I heard that Magdalene is for those who are too intimidated by the awesomeness of Catz.

You keep telling yourself that dear :biggrin:

To all of you I would stress that colleges have more similarities than differences but even so, take some time choosing your college. I had a friend this year who didn't think she'd mind any college, put in an open application and got allocated an all girls college which meant she wasn't sure if she really wanted to go.

And I would visit the colleges beforehand, I chose my college based on the fact that they didn't specifically say you needed physics for Maths, which is a good enough reason, but then when I went for interview I didn't really like it. Not that it mattered as I got pooled :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by laura94

Original post by laura94
I am undecided atm.
If I do apply, it will be for philosophy at either Clare, Selwyn or Homerton.

Homerton for sure. it's easier to get in. it attracts fewer applications
Reply 73
Original post by petsp
Homerton for sure. it's easier to get in. it attracts fewer applications

Not good advice; I'm a firm believer in the pooling system and I wouldn't advise applying to a "weaker" college just so you can get in. Will you enjoy it there? It's the wrong reason to be applying there. Clare and Selwyn are great colleges and worth applying to, by no means the most mega competitive.
Original post by Jing_jing
:tongue: Don't be mean, don't you remember how excited we were!

Yeah...

But March?!?!

Jing_jing
You keep telling yourself that dear :biggrin:

To all of you I would stress that colleges have more similarities than differences but even so, take some time choosing your college. I had a friend this year who didn't think she'd mind any college, put in an open application and got allocated an all girls college which meant she wasn't sure if she really wanted to go.

And I would visit the colleges beforehand, I chose my college based on the fact that they didn't specifically say you needed physics for Maths, which is a good enough reason, but then when I went for interview I didn't really like it. Not that it mattered as I got pooled :tongue:

Good advice.

Except we're supposed to be here to scare them. :p:
Hi I will be applying for maths for 2012 entry. I'm not sure which college I want to apply for, but I keep hearing all these rumours about Trinity being impossible to get into, especially for maths. Can anyone confirm/refute this?
I'm going to apply for Physical Natural Sciences. Have no idea about the college yet, I'm going to visit this month so I'm kinda hoping one will feel right! I'm a bit worried because I haven't done chemistry A Level though and it seems like everyone I've seen applying has :s-smilie:
Original post by squareroot1764
I'm going to apply for Physical Natural Sciences. Have no idea about the college yet, I'm going to visit this month so I'm kinda hoping one will feel right! I'm a bit worried because I haven't done chemistry A Level though and it seems like everyone I've seen applying has :s-smilie:

You could always pick up chemistry AS next year.
Yeah...

But March?!?!

To be fair, there are plenty of departmental open days that happen in March (well, the MML ones do, I'm assuming they're not alone in having early ones) so it's not totally out of the blue. I'd decided I was going to apply to Cambridge by February of my AS year and spent the time between then and October researching it so there's no harm in having this thread now! Some people are just keen beans :p:
Reply 79
Law at Magdalene :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending