The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VaVe
Or there could be less information and posting from home students at the minute because no one is hearing much yet, whereas international students are receiving interviews etc so you're hearing more from them.

A lot of the information is the same when the 'what should i wear to interview' etc questions start to appear.

HAHAH I had asked that exact question couple of weeks ago!
Does anyone know (especially guys from robinson) when will they start sending requests for written assignments, essays or anything of the sort? Also when do they notify one if he is so lucky to attend an interview?
Reply 9082
Original post by Georgeof
Does anyone know (especially guys from robinson) when will they start sending requests for written assignments, essays or anything of the sort? Also when do they notify one if he is so lucky to attend an interview?

OMG...another person applying to Robinson =O!!! Ohai :smile:

I don't really know much about written assignments as I'm applying for maths (they don't ask for any work for maths do they? Could someone correct me if I'm wrong :P?). However; I would assume that they'd give out interview dates more in the first half of november. Applicants need time to polish their respective skills after all O.o..

As for Robinson itself...have you got any confirmation emails from them after you sent off the SAQ? I just got a general confirmation from the University's admissions office...but nothing from the college itself =/
Reply 9083
Original post by -raisa
My email to Blyth was for naught, since I just realized I've been rejected for the Blyth scholarship :s-smilie:

What does this mean for your application ? :frown: I'm so so sorry to hear that :sad:

Original post by oh_1993
does practically everyone who applies to Queens' apply for deferred entry? I applied for 2012 and would like to change to deferred if this is the case (Queens' encourages deferred). Will this affect my chances of getting an interview cos i didnt defer?

No, it shouldn't have an effect on your receiving an interview- they won't deny you an offer if they think you're a great applicant. What they could do, however, is force you to defer by giving you an offer for 2013 instead- I've heard of this happening. Bear in mind though that as a Maths Applicant you wouldn't stand much chance in the pool if you were taking a gap year- almost all other colleges disapprove of them for Maths Applicants. So I think that in a way you're doing the right thing, especially if you said you'd be open to 2013 entry on the SAQ. :smile:

Best of luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9084
Original post by oh_1993

Original post by oh_1993
No deadline has been specified as far as I am aware.

Sorry, I meant to quote this in my last post! I was wondering this about the Data Protection form but yeah I've checked everywhere and there doesn't appear to be a deadline! I haven't posted mine yet... :redface: I REALLY need to do that haha.

There's a deadline for the Fee Status Questionnaire though- it needs to be in by the 2nd December (I think). It says it somewhere in that enormous e-mail of forms (4 attachments!) that was sent yesterday. Oh and the written work is due on the 21st of November as far as I remember.
Original post by -raisa
My email to Blyth was for naught, since I just realized I've been rejected for the Blyth scholarship :s-smilie:

Same. Even my friends are too! The NatSci guy who was shortlisted for Cambridge? Not shortlisted for Blyth. :'(

So sorry for all of us :frown:

Did anyone from your school got shortlisted?

I just stood there in shock when I read the email. I thought I would have been crying, but really, I think I accepted the fact that Blyth would shortlist private school kids more than public school kids. So, I was just sad all day instead. :frown:

I haven't heard from Cambridge except that "Would you be prepared to fly over to U.K" email. The guy from Blyth said that he would contact them, but I highly doubt it. :s-smilie:

I think it's time for me to look at U of T and McGill and see their programs while hopelessly comparing them to Cambridge. I know I haven't been rejected by Cambridge yet, but if I have been rejected by Blyth... well you know. :s-smilie:

I know we discussed this before, but are you now considering Cambridge sans Blyth?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lk2011
X

Could you please give me some more detail about Queens' supposedly preferring deferred entries over direct (2012) ones? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

Thank you. :smile:
Just heard from a tutor that the PPS course is changing from 2013 entry, anyone else heard anything?
Original post by strawberryjellybaby
Just heard from a tutor that the PPS course is changing from 2013 entry, anyone else heard anything?

Really random that i clicked on this page and saw this, im obviously very bored! Im a current pps student and my DoS says they're changing it to human, social and political science(s). Apparently they spent a couple of hours debating about science being plural or not.

Its something do to with cutting down the education tripos (which i think is going to be cut for the year after next), and increasing the presence of the "social sciences " at cambridge. (really old source http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/1817 )

Its going to be exactly the same course, just there may be more "extra" papers to choose from or something. When it changed from SPS to PPS there was no actual change in the course, same thing is happening now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9089
Original post by charmandbrace
Same. Even my friends are too! The NatSci guy who was shortlisted for Cambridge? Not shortlisted for Blyth. :'(

So sorry for all of us :frown:

Did anyone from your school got shortlisted?

I just stood there in shock when I read the email. I thought I would have been crying, but really, I think I accepted the fact that Blyth would shortlist private school kids more than public school kids. So, I was just sad all day instead. :frown:

I haven't heard from Cambridge except that "Would you be prepared to fly over to U.K" email. The guy from Blyth said that he would contact them, but I highly doubt it. :s-smilie:

I think it's time for me to look at U of T and McGill and see their programs while hopelessly comparing them to Cambridge. I know I haven't been rejected by Cambridge yet, but if I have been rejected by Blyth... well you know. :s-smilie:

I know we discussed this before, but are you now considering Cambridge sans Blyth?

well only two other people from my school applied; one was shortlisted by Blyth, but my friend was rejected as well :'(

I actually have been really emotional all day; so awkward :colondollar:

you got a reply from Blyth regarding interviews? that's good I guess... I still want to go through with the process; I was calculating costs today, and with tuition, room, board + college fee, it would amount to about $40000 CAD per year :s-smilie:

I'm just so upset, especially since the guy who got shortlisted at my school doesn't even want to go to Cambridge; it's his backup for Yale.
Original post by -raisa
well only two other people from my school applied; one was shortlisted by Blyth, but my friend was rejected as well :'(

I actually have been really emotional all day; so awkward :colondollar:

you got a reply from Blyth regarding interviews? that's good I guess... I still want to go through with the process; I was calculating costs today, and with tuition, room, board + college fee, it would amount to about $40000 CAD per year :s-smilie:

I'm just so upset, especially since the guy who got shortlisted at my school doesn't even want to go to Cambridge; it's his backup for Yale.

Oh no, I meant that I was flat-out rejected by Blyth, like with all of my other friends. I think I didn't write my reply correctly. :s-smilie:

Yeah I also calculated the cost as well today and used an online converter. OSAP wouldn't be able to give more than $5000-8000 for int'l schools. Bank loans.. I don't know, but I feel like it's all over for me :frown:
I hope we get an answer from Cambridge about our interviews though.

I still haven't cried yet, it's just so surreal. I think it needs to sink in. I understand what you're trying to say. Although I didn't cry, I was just out of it and depressed, I know I will sometime, just still in shock.

That's so unfair! I bet a lot of the shortlisted applicants are like that as well, not caring about wanting to go to Cambridge, but are pressured from their parents or like the idea of having it as a back up etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Blyth

???
Original post by Cambridge_lad
???

Blyth Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholarship is for Canadian applicants.
They shortlisted their applicants today :frown:
Reply 9093
Original post by esztereva

Original post by esztereva
Could you please give me some more detail about Queens' supposedly preferring deferred entries over direct (2012) ones? I feel like I'm misunderstanding something.

Thank you. :smile:

"We are happy to encourage applicants in all subjects (even Maths!) to either apply for deferred entry or to apply post-A2. We think that time away from study between school and university offers students the chance to develop, mature and see something of the world."

I don't think they would discriminate against students that haven't taken a year out- they're just well known for being particularily positive about the benefits of students taking a year out and as being the only college (that I know of) that approves of maths applicants taking a gap year.
Reply 9094
Oh no, I meant that I was flat-out rejected by Blyth, like with all of my other friends. I think I didn't write my reply correctly. :s-smilie:

Yeah I also calculated the cost as well today and used an online converter. OSAP wouldn't be able to give more than $5000-8000 for int'l schools. Bank loans.. I don't know, but I feel like it's all over for me :frown:
I hope we get an answer from Cambridge about our interviews though.

I still haven't cried yet, it's just so surreal. I think it needs to sink in. I understand what you're trying to say. Although I didn't cry, I was just out of it and depressed, I know I will sometime, just still in shock.

That's so unfair! I bet a lot of the shortlisted applicants are like that as well, not caring about wanting to go to Cambridge, but are pressured from their parents or like the idea of having it as a back up etc.

when I said emotional, I mean I actually have cried so much today. Like I cried in front of my history teacher twice today; so awkward :colondollar:

& yeah, my friend and I were both flat-out rejected by Blyth too :frown:

I'm not sure if they're going to bother replying to us about interviews since we've been rejected already...

I know, that IS so unfair. I want to go to Cambridge SO BADLY, and there he is, getting shortlisted when Cambridge is like his backup for Yale and the other Ivies.
Original post by -raisa
when I said emotional, I mean I actually have cried so much today. Like I cried in front of my history teacher twice today; so awkward :colondollar:

& yeah, my friend and I were both flat-out rejected by Blyth too :frown:

I'm not sure if they're going to bother replying to us about interviews since we've been rejected already...

I know, that IS so unfair. I want to go to Cambridge SO BADLY, and there he is, getting shortlisted when Cambridge is like his backup for Yale and the other Ivies.

aww *hugs* :frown:

I feel as if I chose a wrong essay topic, and that I should have made a personal essay for the scholarship. Also, that they barely even took a glance at my application. All of these thoughts are popping up, but either way, the result is permanent...

All I know is that the Blyth guy won't reply because of us being rejected (it would be hard to believe), but he said that Cambridge will send them a list of shortlisted Canadian applicants (even those who were rejected from Blyth) on Friday (tomorrow *gulp*). So apparently another email from Blyth will be sent to us, and it will tell us if Cambridge has rejected us or not.
^ What I don't get from that is that Cambridge said that they would notify applicants around half of November. I guess I misread that. :s-smilie:

I think it had to do with the huge press coverage from last years winners. There were only 100 applicants from last year, 25 were shortlisted. There were probably even more applicants this year because so many were interested in the "prestige" of it, so even higher expectations were set out. :frown:
Original post by lk2011
I don't think they would discriminate against students that haven't taken a year out- they're just well known for being particularily positive about the benefits of students taking a year out and as being the only college (that I know of) that approves of maths applicants taking a gap year.

"Many people erroneously think that it is impossible to have a gap year and then come to Cambridge. This College encourages deferred entry for all subjects (yes, even Maths!). We strongly urge students to consider taking a year out and we will ask you about it at interview. No one is pressured to take a gap year but we feel it is beneficial to both the student and to the College."

I just found this on their website. And thank you, it seems like I've completely missed this information. I will have my reasons if they ask about it at the interview, but should they decide to offer me a place for 2013 (sweet dreams :rolleyes:), I won't object. :biggrin:
Reply 9097
aww *hugs* :frown:

I feel as if I chose a wrong essay topic, and that I should have made a personal essay for the scholarship. Also, that they barely even took a glance at my application. All of these thoughts are popping up, but either way, the result is permanent...

All I know is that the Blyth guy won't reply because of us being rejected (it would be hard to believe), but he said that Cambridge will send them a list of shortlisted Canadian applicants (even those who were rejected from Blyth) on Friday (tomorrow *gulp*). So apparently another email from Blyth will be sent to us, and it will tell us if Cambridge has rejected us or not.
^ What I don't get from that is that Cambridge said that they would notify applicants around half of November. I guess I misread that. :s-smilie:

I think it had to do with the huge press coverage from last years winners. There were only 100 applicants from last year, 25 were shortlisted. There were probably even more applicants this year because so many were interested in the "prestige" of it, so even higher expectations were set out. :frown:

Yeah, I think a more personal essay would've helped. I think it's weird that they want us to write an academic essay, so I sent them a commentary on Kafka's Metamorphosis (MML applicant!). & I don't think they ever looked at our PS's too, which is a shame :s-smilie:

& wait, I think you may have got a different email that mine. The bolded bit was never mentioned in my email...

+ it's so unfortunate that we didn't apply last year! no offence, but the winners from last year don't look all that exceptionally special... & I remember reading how there were only about 100 applicants too; I thought that even if the number was doubled, I would still be fortunate enough to be interviewed, but I guess not :frown:
Original post by snow leopard
I didn't catch any explanation there as to why it's a bad idea, just a motivational 'we're all in this together' speech which we've heard too many times.

Yes, in the end we're applying to the same place, but during that process I want relevant people who are in a similar situation saying relevant things that are interesting to read and that I can relate to.

This thread has turned to an international cry for help / make me feel better / ask questions that no one can precisely answer thread.

I've seen frequent posters disappear and even I'm posting less and less because this thread is turning boring. Hard to sort through all the posts and find who here in the UK has had invitations/responses/etcetc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7qaSxuZUg
Original post by iammichealjackson
Really random that i clicked on this page and saw this, im obviously very bored! Im a current pps student and my DoS says they're changing it to human, social and political science(s). Apparently they spent a couple of hours debating about science being plural or not.

Its something do to with cutting down the education tripos (which i think is going to be cut for the year after next), and increasing the presence of the "social sciences " at cambridge. (really old source http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/1817 )

Its going to be exactly the same course, just there may be more "extra" papers to choose from or something. When it changed from SPS to PPS there was no actual change in the course, same thing is happening now.

Thank you for clearing that up, apparently they are changing something to do with psychology but since I'm more of a political gal that doesn't matter to me!

Latest

Trending

Trending