Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to resurrect our school magazine which has been non-existent for 5 years. I only have one problem.

What do I put in it?
    I want to do it termly in conjunction with other 6th formers and my mates, do any of you have/run a school magazine and could give me some suggestions? Feel free to PM me or post any responses here. What do I write about that people will want to read?

Any suggestions appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Do some investigative journalism and find out if your teachers are corrupt or are hiding dirty secrets about the school - is it located on an ancient indian burial grounds for exmaple?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just ask random people what they would like to read about the college.
    in mine i'm sure they interveiw students etc... its very student union held so they have tried a few time to get food prices down... every one reads it but it never works lmao

ReputationRep:
    Make it as embarrassing to the teachers as you can without having bits cut from it, find out how much of the school budget's spent on staff, 'nessasary' refurbishment of te head's office etc...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do a biscuit cost analysis and then frame the fat teacher.

(sorry! gettign carried out, it sounds like fun - I never had a school mag)

I bought my school's one last year. It was awful. It was printed on bright orange paper. Every article was called something like "A Student's View", and filled with some geek's pseudo-comedic rantings about the canteen's little foibles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skylark)
    I want to resurrect our school magazine which has been non-existent for 5 years. I only have one problem.

What do I put in it?
    I want to do it termly in conjunction with other 6th formers and my mates, do any of you have/run a school magazine and could give me some suggestions? Feel free to PM me or post any responses here. What do I write about that people will want to read?

Any suggestions appreciated!
    I assume it will have to be checked by the powers-that-be first, before it's copied and distributed?

It's worth seeing if you can get funding for it. E.g. for prizes for the "star letter" or whatever.

You could always make a questionnaire for the student body and ask for suggestions. If you don't fancy that... how about the usual sort of magaziny things. Around exam time, a revision help piece? cd reviews? Letters pages? Advertisments for sports matches/clubs? Competitions (such as baby photos of teachers - that really took off at my old school)? Fictional stories?

Ask for an announcement in assembly if you have them, or an advert around school seeing if anyone wants to write for it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Be VERY careful with school papers. I remember when I was a "news rep".

Tips:
    > People don't give a crap about school. Cover something in town.
    > Reviews aren't overrated. People read them.
    > Don't be funny - it doesn't work in school letters. Save it for TSR and blog entries.
    > Pictures are good, but they must still look good having been through a cheapo photocopier without any toner.

ReputationRep:
    at my college anyone can submit articles via a link on the college intranet - this saves you trying to find articles and means people get what they want in the mag

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.