Ezfied
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Me and Several clever people in my year aswell hundereds over the internet keep getting the same problem when we sit the unit 1 exam. A ****ing D with some time to spare I really dont want to mess up this year, if anyone on this forum can give me any advice I would be very grateful.

last year I managed to apply my knowledge to the question andf felt confident after the exam unfortunately this didn't work out as expected.

This year i intend to go over the textbook write notes and probably spend more time memorising the mark scheme and doing past papers.

if there are any blatent things im missing id be grateful if ya could tell me
Ezfied
Rep:
?
Ive found an load of resources released by WJEC to anyone finding the same problem to this forum around 8pm tomorrow (11th march 2011) exam is 7th of june 2011.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ezfied)
Me and Several clever people in my year aswell hundereds over the internet keep getting the same problem when we sit the unit 1 exam. A ****ing D with some time to spare I really dont want to mess up this year, if anyone on this forum can give me any advice I would be very grateful.

last year I managed to apply my knowledge to the question andf felt confident after the exam unfortunately this didn't work out as expected.

This year i intend to go over the textbook write notes and probably spend more time memorising the mark scheme and doing past papers.

if there are any blatent things im missing id be grateful if ya could tell me
  • Look for definition (e.g. Define/Explain/Discuss/How X) questions, you may notice similarities in various papers, anyway, take those questions out, find the answers and learn them, know your definitions
  • Compare the specification with the questions that have come up on past papers, look for similarities and similar style questions on a particular topic, learn these
  • If the specification covers questions where you need to work something out (e.g. binary and hex), take no risks, learn everything, be 100% you know how to work anything out before taking the exam
  • Ask your teacher for advice too
  • After the above, do other past papers you haven't done yet and try to complete them without any help, after finishing, mark them and learn the ones you got wrong - repeat this
  • Learn the specification, familiarise yourself with the sort of questions that come up in exams under those topics

You need to constantly question yourself all the time until you understand things, try not to just memorise - you have to understand why and how. Keep your brain stimulated. Take regular breaks. A decent breakfast and a good night's sleep helps before going for the exam as well.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
You need to constantly question yourself all the time until you understand things, try not to just memorise - you have to understand why and how. Keep your brain stimulated. Take regular breaks. A decent breakfast and a good night's sleep helps before going for the exam as well.
ICT is mostly about memorising really, then knowing which chunks are appropriate to the questions asked. Past papers with mark schemes are a great help for this. And everyone is different - I've gone into most exams without sleeping the night before or catching about 2 hours sleep, what works for one person may not maximise someone else's ability. If the exam is at 9am, I'd suggest not eating just before you leave the house an hour earlier as it will divert blood to your digestive system.

Again, everyone is different.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by i.am.lost)
ICT is mostly about memorising really, then knowing which chunks are appropriate to the questions asked. Past papers with mark schemes are a great help for this. And everyone is different - I've gone into most exams without sleeping the night before or catching about 2 hours sleep, what works for one person may not maximise someone else's ability. If the exam is at 9am, I'd suggest not eating just before you leave the house an hour earlier as it will divert blood to your digestive system.

Again, everyone is different.
No. To pass the exam, yes, memory is key, but the same typically goes for most exams in most subjects.

But if it's your chosen field and you want to make something for yourself out of it, then understand, especially if he's going for a relevant degree at university. By understanding, you can apply what you know to other areas and real life situations - if you're in an unfamiliar situation, understanding helps greatly. Understanding sparks interest, curiosity, fascination and sometimes motivation, understanding compels you to want to know more - exams, then, become a breeze, when you strive to be the best at what you love, rather than just memorising information purely for passing exams and then forgetting it.

In theory, such a person can take any A-Level ICT/Computing/Related exam from any exam board/specification and pass with a decent result because of what they've come to learn and understand about that subject in general. Ideally, because they have a good interest in that subject and go out of their way to learn about things outside of school time and that it forms a part of one or more of their hobbies (e.g. web designers, open-source contributors, Cisco Network Academy students etc).

As for the whole breakfast thing, a few hours before the exam would be a good idea, not just before.
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
No. To pass the exam, yes, memory is key, but the same typically goes for most exams in most subjects.

But if it's your chosen field and you want to make something for yourself out of it, then understand, especially if he's going for a relevant degree at university. By understanding, you can apply what you know to other areas and real life situations - if you're in an unfamiliar situation, understanding helps greatly. Understanding sparks interest, curiosity, fascination and sometimes motivation, understanding compels you to want to know more - exams, then, become a breeze, when you strive to be the best at what you love, rather than just memorising information purely for passing exams and then forgetting it.

In theory, such a person can take any A-Level ICT/Computing/Related exam from any exam board/specification and pass with a decent result because of what they've come to learn and understand about that subject in general. Ideally, because they have a good interest in that subject and go out of their way to learn about things outside of school time and that it forms a part of one or more of their hobbies (e.g. web designers, open-source contributors, Cisco Network Academy students etc).

As for the whole breakfast thing, a few hours before the exam would be a good idea, not just before.
I don't know if you did ICT A Level but about 75% of it is pure BS, and completely irrelevant to what a person who's interested in CS or computing in general would be interested in. The extra things you mention are of course all really good to do, but they are of no help to ICT A Level really.
hamburgerandbeans
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I did the WJEC AS ICT exam in January and got an E (everyone in my class did badly even though we are actually a clever class). So in a way I will not be a lot of help. However, I have identified why I failed and it was 2 reasons:

- The examiners are very strict and pedantic
- I didn't practice enough past papers

So even though I did badly, I know why. To do well, basically you need to do the opposite of what I did (do lots of past papers and learn everything off by heart rather than just woffling on about a load of rubbish).

This may sound very sad but look at the examiners reports. It says what candidates are doing wrong in their questions! Also, looking at mark schemes is obviously important.

(While I am at this, does anyone know where I can get a mark scheme for a past paper on the 2009 past paper - any links would be nice!!)
Sweety10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
Well I did the WJEC AS ICT exam in January and got an E (everyone in my class did badly even though we are actually a clever class). So in a way I will not be a lot of help. However, I have identified why I failed and it was 2 reasons:

- The examiners are very strict and pedantic
- I didn't practice enough past papers

So even though I did badly, I know why. To do well, basically you need to do the opposite of what I did (do lots of past papers and learn everything off by heart rather than just woffling on about a load of rubbish).

This may sound very sad but look at the examiners reports. It says what candidates are doing wrong in their questions! Also, looking at mark schemes is obviously important.

(While I am at this, does anyone know where I can get a mark scheme for a past paper on the 2009 past paper - any links would be nice!!)
Below are all the mark schemes that I have.
IT1-MS-Jan-09.pdf

IT1-MS-Jun-09.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jan-06.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jan-07.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jan-08.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jun-06.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jun-07.pdf

ICT1-MS-Jun-08.pdf

And this is the specimen paper and mark scheme.
IT1-Specimen-Paper-(2009-2010).doc
Specimen-Marks(2009-2010).doc
Sweety10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wanted to also ask that aproximately how long is it taking you all to revise a topic. As far as i know there are 12 topics and all are at different lengths. Im revising from these revision powerpoints. Could anyone have a look and see if they are good and okay to revise from? rather than the whole text book. Cheers

Heres a few from all the slideshows that I have...

[IT1-4.1.1-Student-Slideshow-Data-Information-Knowledge.ppt

IT1-4.1.2-Revision-Slideshow-Value-and-importance-of-information.ppt

IT1-4.1.2-Student-Exams-Marks-Report.ppt

IT1-4.1.3-Revision-Slideshow-Quality-Of-Information.ppt
bigbang_1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can please tell me any past papers site for WJEC ICT IT1
Sweety10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bigbang_1)
Can please tell me any past papers site for WJEC ICT IT1
uhmm I dont the link but i have them saved on my laptop. Ive uploaded the Specimen paper before.. check it and the mark schemes before on here.
I also have the following:

ICT1-Exam--08.pdf

ICT1-Exam-Jan-06.pdf

ICT1-Exam-Jan-07.pdf

ICT1-Exam-Jun-06.pdf

ICT1-Exam-Jun-07.pdf

ICT1-Exam-Jun-09.pdf

ICT1-Exam-old-Jan-08.pdf

IT1-Exam-Jan-09.pdf

IT1-Exam-Jun-09.pdf

hope they help ..
Ezfied
Rep:
?
Well a long time later i am happy to say i managed to change my grade around and got an A overall! LEARN THE MARKSCHEMES AND CORRESPONDING QUESTIONS OFF BY HEART LOL
planetconwy1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well a long time later i am happy to say i managed to change my grade around and got an A overall! LEARN THE MARKSCHEMES AND CORRESPONDING QUESTIONS OFF BY HEART LOL
So did I, I managed to get 120/120. Its such a piss easy exam.
jess.eden
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I first sat this exam in Jan 2012 and failed. Took it again in May 2012 failed once more. This will be the third time sitting the exam and I just really want to pass already, I've read that I must keep looking at past papers and mark schemes...any other tips to ensure I pass with flying colours this time? My exam is in 4 days!
Tsrs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jess.eden)
Well I first sat this exam in Jan 2012 and failed. Took it again in May 2012 failed once more. This will be the third time sitting the exam and I just really want to pass already, I've read that I must keep looking at past papers and mark schemes...any other tips to ensure I pass with flying colours this time? My exam is in 4 days!

How did you find the exam?
jess.eden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tsrs)
How did you find the exam?
Yeah it was good thank you, I think and hope I just got at least a B or above. Revised like hell for that exam.
WALM00
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
do you have any revision notes by any chance?
jess.eden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just got my results....ended up with an A! SO happy!! How did everyone else do?
Tsrs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jess.eden)
Just got my results....ended up with an A! SO happy!! How did everyone else do?
Hell yeah, nice work! Yeah my AS turned into an A from a C.... Chuffed!
Michaelsusi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sweety10)
I wanted to also ask that aproximately how long is it taking you all to revise a topic. As far as i know there are 12 topics and all are at different lengths. Im revising from these revision powerpoints. Could anyone have a look and see if they are good and okay to revise from? rather than the whole text book. Cheers

Heres a few from all the slideshows that I have...

[IT1-4.1.1-Student-Slideshow-Data-Information-Knowledge.ppt

IT1-4.1.2-Revision-Slideshow-Value-and-importance-of-information.ppt

IT1-4.1.2-Student-Exams-Marks-Report.ppt

IT1-4.1.3-Revision-Slideshow-Quality-Of-Information.ppt
Do you have more of these? There super helpful?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.91%
No (453)
48.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed