No more 11+ in Northern Ireland Watch

This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The 'acting' minister for Education in Northern Ireland has decided to stop the 11+ process for Grammar schools. In essence, this means that in time grammars will become obsolete. Could the same thing happen here?
SYSTEM
Last 11-plus transfer test will be in 2008
Current Primary 2 Pupils will be the last to sit it
Children 11-14 will study a broad and balanced curriculum
At 14 the main decision about courses will be made
Parents can opt immediately not to enter children for the test
Grammar schools can opt not to use the test for admission
Parents and pupils will identify the schools to attend in their local area
School choice decision will be informed by a pupil profile
Schools will offer courses under an Entitlement Framework system
All schools will provide a sound general education up to the age 14
Schools will offer students at 14 at least 24 courses
A third of courses must be academic and one third vocational
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What?????
yawn1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude)
What?????
I have cut and pasted the statement from the BBC News (Education) website this morning if you want to have a more detailed explanation.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank God I'm already in a grammar school.
I don't have a problem with the scrapping the 11+, but they have to find something suitable to replace it, which they haven't.
I would go crazy if 1/3 of my subjects had to be vocational!
white_solitude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Thank God I'm already in a grammar school.
I don't have a problem with the scrapping the 11+, but they have to find something suitable to replace it, which they haven't.
I would go crazy if 1/3 or my subjects had to be vocational!

yeah same here...i'm glad i'm not going to be caught up in that.
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im totally against this,

the abolsihing of the 11+ and in efefct the abolishing of grammar schools will result in GCSE & A-level performances falling.
Many other countries envy the education system in northern ireland, they won't for much longer if Jane Kennedy has her way.
Northern Ieland is well known for outperforming england,scotland & wales as far as GCSE & A-Level results ago, I fear this will no longer be the case come 2008

If there is no academic selection, those who want to learn and do well will be held back by those who don't.

I hope this does not happen to those across the water in the rest of the UK,

the 'acting' education minister in NI looks set to ruin the education system,
I mean what kind of crap education system sorts people into schools by postcode????
yawn1
Rep:
?
Hawk - In the interests of 'balance' I am posting the link to the item so as people can see the other side of the question..

The webpage also has links to aspects of the decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3429541.stm
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sounds like a positive step. The idea of telling children that they are not cut out for academic study on the basis of one test taking at the age of 11 seems pretty ridiculous to me.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by white_solitude)
yeah same here...i'm glad i'm not going to be caught up in that.
I'm glad i'm already at one too-I don't know what i'd do if i had to go back to a comprehensive :confused:
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
I'm glad i'm already at one too-I don't know what i'd do if i had to go back to a comprehensive :confused:

It's not that I have a problem with comprehensives, I just don't want to be forced into vocational subjects.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's not that I have a problem with comprehensives, I just don't want to be forced into vocational subjects.
Not saying you do, but I do-after spending a hellish 5yrs in one
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Is it that bad?
Most of the girls comprehensives where I live are quite good, as far as I'm aware, but I do love my grammar school!
W.A.S Hewins
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[Clare: that feminist motto: some of us are getting bored with it. Why not change it for this one instead: ' when a woman ****s a man off it's self-expression, when the roles are reversed it's abuse..'
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is it that bad?
Most of the girls comprehensives where I live are quite good, as far as I'm aware, but I do love my grammar school!
No, my experience is by no means representative, in my experience it was ok for the first 3 yrs but in the GCSE years it got worse and i left as soon as I could (sixth form). It was a mixed comp and I wasn't in the top sets, so I had to be mixed with the retards. I just thought they were a bit slow in seeing academic potential, and once they realised they had you sussed out wrong they did little about it and I was left to teach myself the GCSE syllabus in many subjects.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
[Clare: that feminist motto: some of us are getting bored with it. Why not change it for this one instead: ' when a woman ****s a man off it's self-expression, when the roles are reversed it's abuse..'
Well, I believe in what my quotation says, not in that stupid one you proposed. I retain my right to self-expression...!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The state of Comps will improve significantly, with the abolition of Grammars.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
The state of Comps will improve significantly, with the abolition of Grammars.
*******s
yawn1
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemma1811)
*******s
That really is not a good enough response for someone who is supporting the retention of grammars! It shows no evidence of considered, intelligent and articulate thought.

Try again but this time give a reasoned response instead of a numbskull, one-worded, offensive comment
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
That really is not a good enough response for someone who is supporting the retention of grammars! It shows no evidence of considered, intelligent and articulate thought.

Try again but this time give a reasoned response instead of a numbskull, one-worded, offensive comment
She didn't post it, it was me on her user name. Sorry, but i was replying to Bignee's post that had no reason for what he said, so I didn't give any reasons for mine
yawn1
Rep:
?
She didn't post it, it was me on her user name. Sorry, but i was replying to Bignee's post that had no reason for what he said, so I didn't give any reasons for mine
Oh OK - but most people on this forum who get engaged on this particularly contentious issue know very well why Bigcnee made his statement as he has never varied from his stance and has given very good reasons for it on all other pertinent threads.

Only difference between bigcnee's post and yours is that he used no offensive words!!

Difference of opinions should always be respected provided the opinion is intelligently put forward and does not denigrate those who disagree
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise