Easiest and cheapest way to create a website with user profiles?

Watch this thread
Neil_K
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi folks, I have a business idea (which I cannot reveal fully due to people potentially stealing my idea) ...though what I can say is that this idea is something to do with musicians, and will change the face of how musicians go about pursuing their musical careers should it take off.

I am looking to create a website with user profiles on it.

People will then be able to search other users' profiles via a dropdown list to search for the criteria they want to search for.

I am not technical when it comes to web design. I have the ideas, and need someone with the skills to program the site or offer me advice on how I can do it myself cheaply and easily.

Would Wordpress be any good for this? Also, how do I go about creating a site with proper domain name with Wordpress, and not just www.joeblogs.wordpress.com???

I don't have a big budget for this right now, but may be prepared to offer a percentage of future profits in return for your programming skills. The long-term potential of this project is mind-blowing.

Let's discuss this further...reply here or PM me with your answers.

Cheers.
yaravel
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Well you could try Google Friend Connect.

Here's the link: http://www.google.com/friendconnect/admin/tos/

I never tried it but have seen it in several websites and I guess as it is from google is probably user friendly and simple to integrate.
VictoriaG
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
http://www.wix.com/
I've seen some good things from this.
laser
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Maybe buddypress (WordPress plugin) is what you want.

To deploy WordPress on your own domain, you need to buy a domain, then some webhosting, then install WordPress onto it, then install Buddypress, configure it, etc, etc
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
My advice would be to develop as a third-party Facebook application and embed a FB login somewhere on your site. That way you immediately have an enormous potential userbase. If your site takes off and you want to make it more commercial, then you can require independent signups.
burgergetsbored
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
If you were really serious about this idea and thought it could "change the face of how musicians go about pursuing their musical careers" you'd be speaking to a professional, not people on the student room.....

but anyway, word-press is the only real solution for this sort of thing if you have no programming knowledge (not something you can learn over night) and actually word-press is really good. But you'll want to purchase a domain name (yourname.com) and web hosting hosting to be able to host your own address for wordpress, which will be costing around £25 a year (cheapest) many people don't understand websites and don't realise they actually cost money to put up!. Maybe get your idea up and running on the free one then when you know you can do it pay and transfer it to a .com address?
ayathullah
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Neil_K)
Hi folks, I have a business idea (which I cannot reveal fully due to people potentially stealing my idea) ...though what I can say is that this idea is something to do with musicians, and will change the face of how musicians go about pursuing their musical careers should it take off.

I am looking to create a website with user profiles on it.

People will then be able to search other users' profiles via a dropdown list to search for the criteria they want to search for.

I am not technical when it comes to web design. I have the ideas, and need someone with the skills to program the site or offer me advice on how I can do it myself cheaply and easily.

Would Wordpress be any good for this? Also, how do I go about creating a site with proper domain name with Wordpress, and not just www.joeblogs.wordpress.com???

I don't have a big budget for this right now, but may be prepared to offer a percentage of future profits in return for your programming skills. The long-term potential of this project is mind-blowing.

Let's discuss this further...reply here or PM me with your answers.

Cheers.

Hi,

I guess for you wordpress is the best solution however you can also use Drupal or Joomla as these are more used for genral purposes whereas the Wordpress is mainly intended for Blogging.

Seeing as your not the techie it may be best jsut to settle with Wordpress, see how it turns out and may be later on go onto expand the idea either by using more wordpress plugins or moving to another CMS.

If you need nay help PM me.
Neil_K
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks to you all for your kind help and replies. I'll have a look at all the things you've recommended and I'll be in touch by PM if I need any techie help.

Take care,

Neil_K.
Djordje
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Joomla is IMO best CMS for you, but if you want to keep it simple and free host *maybe* webs.com will help.
CJ98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
If you were to develop a serious web application the likes of facebook / bebo / myspace etc... You will want a PHP developer or a few depending on your timeframe.

To answer your question, to have unique user profiles which are searchable you would need a user database and a php interface to input / output and search it. Then you would need to write the html / css. It would be a fair amount of work and it is a fairly large risk as you would have to pay a lot to develop and market it, in a very competitve market.

Like others have said, your best bet is probably to develop a facebook application which could utilise existing users as opposed to creating a new site / system.

CJH
wactm
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Lol what, people are going over the top.

Registering a domain is, like 10 quid max.

Also, just use joomla or drupal, plenty of addons and you dont need to know how to code.

Simples.
wactm
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ayathullah)
Hi,

I guess for you wordpress is the best solution however you can also use Drupal or Joomla as these are more used for genral purposes whereas the Wordpress is mainly intended for Blogging.

Seeing as your not the techie it may be best jsut to settle with Wordpress, see how it turns out and may be later on go onto expand the idea either by using more wordpress plugins or moving to another CMS.

If you need nay help PM me.
Actually Wordpress stopped being a blog CMS 2 years ago and is now considered a fully fledged CMS in everyones eyes. Yes you can blog, but there are so many plugins and it is so powerful no one treats it like that. Previously Google used to penalize inactive Wordpress blogs but it is now quite standard to use Wordpress as the framework for even a static site and Google has stopped penalizing.

wordpress.org is the cms
wordpress.com is the blog

ps sorry for double post
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wactm)
Registering a domain is, like 10 quid max.
Good luck running a website with a registered domain and no hosting.
Refrigerator
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
It's piss easy making a php profile system, I made one for my first site:

http://clickphilia.com/profile.php?user=Hafrage

it's literally fetching and editing data in a mysql table

I don't know whether php is any good for a profile system but it certainly is possible with php
wactm
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
Good luck running a website with a registered domain and no hosting.
Well considering there are a gazillion hosting deals with the first 3 months free it shouldnt be too difficult to find one..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed