I went into holland and barret..and was suggested lemon juice for weight loss

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
so, i walked in...loooked at things for weightloss, or to help increase my metabolism. (i am dieting, exercising...is going to increase..e.g. i will go circuit running in a few mins) i only saw capsols :/ and the lady walks up to me, and asks me if i need help woth what im looking for, i say yes, tell her detail etc. she says as im not 18, it would be bad for me to use herbal pills, so she recomended drinking lemon juice with warm water every single morning? she said it will clear my system, help speed up my metabolism too! she said, it is natural and thus wont effect me, she also said as im still young i shouldnt be thinkingabout pills and that i will slowly lose weight when i get older?

But, anyways....does anyone know if drinking leon juice with water will help weightloss?

thaankss
Anonymous #1
Helooooooooooo
GBateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The best thing for weight loss is regular exercise with healthy eating.

Losing weight needs hard work and that can't be bought from a shop.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
eat healthily, do lots of exercise.

yes people can claim that lemon juice can do this and that, really wouldn't trust them though. they're the same sort of people that tell you to drink cold water to lose weight, as your body has to heat it up and thus you burn calories. yes thats true, but you'll have to drink several tonnes of the stuff to get any significant effect, by which point you'd have died from drinking too much.

if you want to speed up your metabolism, try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones (make sure you keep the same overall calories though) EDIT: apparently this is a myth. oops!
sleekchic
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
So you waited all of 12 minutes for a reply?

Many people have lost weight and kept it off without hvvaing to resort to pills or even lemon juice.

What are you currently doing? What's your diet like? What's your fitness regime like? Stats? How much are you trying to lose?

There's a dedicated fitness section with more than enough advice http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990
CharlieBee_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I've read somewhere that pineapple helps speed metabolism so that wouldn't surprise me, might have something to do with the acids in them.
doubledot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The idea that lemon juice aids in increasing metabolism is something I've heard tossed about for ages. I can see how this came about as people who consume high levels of vitamin C are more likely to lose weight, but the entire theory is still a tentative one, so until there's more evidence to back this up, I call bull.

You could always try eating more chili or drinking green tea, as there's more evidence to suggest that those help to increase your metabolism rate. Either way, so long as you do maintain a healthy diet and exercise regime, I'm sure that drinking water with lemon juice/eating more chili/drinking more green tea or whatever else idea you want to try out won't cause too much harm. Just take everything with a pinch of salt (figuratively).
Anonymous #1
eHRRRRM, I'm going to for a jog.
iainthegreat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just eat proper, natural whole foods. Meat from grass-fed organic animals, fish such as Salmon, whole milk and free range eggs. If you eat real food, not this artificial less than 3% fat crap, then you'll lose weight.
Jakelee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
eat healthily, do lots of exercise.

yes people can claim that lemon juice can do this and that, really wouldn't trust them though. they're the same sort of people that tell you to drink cold water to lose weight, as your body has to heat it up and thus you burn calories. yes thats true, but you'll have to drink several tonnes of the stuff to get any significant effect, by which point you'd have died from drinking too much.

if you want to speed up your metabolism, try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones (make sure you keep the same overall calories though)
The five meals a day thing is a myth. If you are eating the same ratio of macros and the same amount of calories then the affect shall be the same - However if people find eating five meals a day stops them from pigging out/ staves off hunger better than they should do it.
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iainthegreat)
Just eat proper, natural whole foods. Meat from grass-fed organic animals, fish such as Salmon, whole milk and free range eggs. If you eat real food, not this artificial less than 3% fat crap, then you'll lose weight.
Although really, it makes no difference to weight loss whether your meat is organic or your eggs are free range.

Plus, you say whole milk. Skimmed or semi-skimmed is obviously going to be better weight-loss-wise...
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jakelee)
The five meals a day thing is a myth. If you are eating the same ratio of macros and the same amount of calories then the affect shall be the same - However if people find eating five meals a day stops them from pigging out/ staves off hunger better than they should do it.
oops just read some studies on the net, apparently it is a myth. definitely helped me lose weight in the past though, perhaps i was just eating less calories overall :/
should be revising
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so, i walked in...loooked at things for weightloss, or to help increase my metabolism. (i am dieting, exercising...is going to increase..e.g. i will go circuit running in a few mins) i only saw capsols :/ and the lady walks up to me, and asks me if i need help woth what im looking for, i say yes, tell her detail etc. she says as im not 18, it would be bad for me to use herbal pills, so she recomended drinking lemon juice with warm water every single morning? she said it will clear my system, help speed up my metabolism too! she said, it is natural and thus wont effect me, she also said as im still young i shouldnt be thinkingabout pills and that i will slowly lose weight when i get older?

But, anyways....does anyone know if drinking leon juice with water will help weightloss?

thaankss
To be honest it sounds like a load of bull**** to me.
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lightburns)
Although really, it makes no difference to weight loss whether your meat is organic or your eggs are free range.

Plus, you say whole milk. Skimmed or semi-skimmed is obviously going to be better weight-loss-wise...
No, no and no.

The whole 'low-fat' diet advice is the biggest nutritional mistake in the last 50 years. It's sugar you want to cut out!

Whole milk is good for you. Skimmed and semi aren't. The whole point is to each as naturally as possible, don't eat foods with stuff artificial added to them.

And would you rather eat the meat of a chicken that's been sick all of it's life as it's been stuck in a cage not able to move, or that of a chicken which is healthy and has developed properly? The quality of the meat is very different.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Don't expect it to make a lot of difference to your weight but lemon and water are both supposed to be good for you, so you might as well drink it (unless you don't like lemons). And don't ask for little diet tips, go by what works for you without ruining your life. It might just mean less driving and takeaways.
Charlottielottie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, no and no.

Whole milk is good for you. Skimmed and semi aren't. The whole point is to each as naturally as possible, don't eat foods with stuff artificial added to them.
I wouldn't go as far as to say fatty milk is healthy and skimmed milk isn't, but you do have a point in that swapping a food for a low-fat version of the same thing is useless. For example, a 'Light' cake will often have more sugar, salt and flavourings than normal cake to make up the taste, hence they often have MORE calories (as well as a crap texture).... and then people think that because its low in fat they can eat it all day and not put on weight.... so wrong... so OP, NEVER become one of these people!!!
Natsworthy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ask the Belgians instead.
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, no and no.

The whole 'low-fat' diet advice is the biggest nutritional mistake in the last 50 years. It's sugar you want to cut out!

Skimmed milk is just whole milk with the fat removed. Nothing crazy added.

And would you rather eat the meat of a chicken that's been sick all of it's life as it's been stuck in a cage not able to move, or that of a chicken which is healthy and has developed properly? The quality of the meat is very different.
I agree that animal welfare is important - just not that it makes a difference to weight-loss.
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlottielottie)
I wouldn't go as far as to say fatty milk is healthy and skimmed milk isn't, but you do have a point in that swapping a food for a low-fat version of the same thing is useless. For example, a 'Light' cake will often have more sugar, salt and flavourings than normal cake to make up the taste, hence they often have MORE calories (as well as a crap texture).... and then people think that because its low in fat they can eat it all day and not put on weight.... so wrong... so OP, NEVER become one of these people!!!
And a 'light' cake just means lighter than the original. It can still be horrendous compared to other things.
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely heard of it before, but doubt it really works. Somewhat similar in vein to the idea of drinking apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning helps with weight loss.

Having said that if you do this lemon juice thing, it's more effective to just eat half a grapefruit for breakfast rather than drinking lemon juice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.19%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.45%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.68%

Watched Threads