The Student Room Group

I went into holland and barret..and was suggested lemon juice for weight loss

so, i walked in...loooked at things for weightloss, or to help increase my metabolism. (i am dieting, exercising...is going to increase..e.g. i will go circuit running in a few mins) i only saw capsols :/ and the lady walks up to me, and asks me if i need help woth what im looking for, i say yes, tell her detail etc. she says as im not 18, it would be bad for me to use herbal pills, so she recomended drinking lemon juice with warm water every single morning? she said it will clear my system, help speed up my metabolism too! she said, it is natural and thus wont effect me, she also said as im still young i shouldnt be thinkingabout pills and that i will slowly lose weight when i get older?

But, anyways....does anyone know if drinking leon juice with water will help weightloss?

thaankss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helooooooooooo
Reply 2
The best thing for weight loss is regular exercise with healthy eating.

Losing weight needs hard work and that can't be bought from a shop.
eat healthily, do lots of exercise.

yes people can claim that lemon juice can do this and that, really wouldn't trust them though. they're the same sort of people that tell you to drink cold water to lose weight, as your body has to heat it up and thus you burn calories. yes thats true, but you'll have to drink several tonnes of the stuff to get any significant effect, by which point you'd have died from drinking too much.

if you want to speed up your metabolism, try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones (make sure you keep the same overall calories though) EDIT: apparently this is a myth. oops!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
So you waited all of 12 minutes for a reply?

Many people have lost weight and kept it off without hvvaing to resort to pills or even lemon juice.

What are you currently doing? What's your diet like? What's your fitness regime like? Stats? How much are you trying to lose?

There's a dedicated fitness section with more than enough advice http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990
Well I've read somewhere that pineapple helps speed metabolism so that wouldn't surprise me, might have something to do with the acids in them.
Reply 6
The idea that lemon juice aids in increasing metabolism is something I've heard tossed about for ages. I can see how this came about as people who consume high levels of vitamin C are more likely to lose weight, but the entire theory is still a tentative one, so until there's more evidence to back this up, I call bull.

You could always try eating more chili or drinking green tea, as there's more evidence to suggest that those help to increase your metabolism rate. Either way, so long as you do maintain a healthy diet and exercise regime, I'm sure that drinking water with lemon juice/eating more chili/drinking more green tea or whatever else idea you want to try out won't cause too much harm. Just take everything with a pinch of salt (figuratively).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
eHRRRRM, I'm going to for a jog.
Just eat proper, natural whole foods. Meat from grass-fed organic animals, fish such as Salmon, whole milk and free range eggs. If you eat real food, not this artificial less than 3% fat crap, then you'll lose weight.
Reply 9
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
eat healthily, do lots of exercise.

yes people can claim that lemon juice can do this and that, really wouldn't trust them though. they're the same sort of people that tell you to drink cold water to lose weight, as your body has to heat it up and thus you burn calories. yes thats true, but you'll have to drink several tonnes of the stuff to get any significant effect, by which point you'd have died from drinking too much.

if you want to speed up your metabolism, try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones (make sure you keep the same overall calories though)

The five meals a day thing is a myth. If you are eating the same ratio of macros and the same amount of calories then the affect shall be the same - However if people find eating five meals a day stops them from pigging out/ staves off hunger better than they should do it.
Original post by iainthegreat
Just eat proper, natural whole foods. Meat from grass-fed organic animals, fish such as Salmon, whole milk and free range eggs. If you eat real food, not this artificial less than 3% fat crap, then you'll lose weight.

Although really, it makes no difference to weight loss whether your meat is organic or your eggs are free range.

Plus, you say whole milk. Skimmed or semi-skimmed is obviously going to be better weight-loss-wise...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jakelee
The five meals a day thing is a myth. If you are eating the same ratio of macros and the same amount of calories then the affect shall be the same - However if people find eating five meals a day stops them from pigging out/ staves off hunger better than they should do it.

oops just read some studies on the net, apparently it is a myth. definitely helped me lose weight in the past though, perhaps i was just eating less calories overall :/
Original post by Anonymous
so, i walked in...loooked at things for weightloss, or to help increase my metabolism. (i am dieting, exercising...is going to increase..e.g. i will go circuit running in a few mins) i only saw capsols :/ and the lady walks up to me, and asks me if i need help woth what im looking for, i say yes, tell her detail etc. she says as im not 18, it would be bad for me to use herbal pills, so she recomended drinking lemon juice with warm water every single morning? she said it will clear my system, help speed up my metabolism too! she said, it is natural and thus wont effect me, she also said as im still young i shouldnt be thinkingabout pills and that i will slowly lose weight when i get older?

But, anyways....does anyone know if drinking leon juice with water will help weightloss?

thaankss

To be honest it sounds like a load of bull**** to me.
Original post by lightburns
Although really, it makes no difference to weight loss whether your meat is organic or your eggs are free range.

Plus, you say whole milk. Skimmed or semi-skimmed is obviously going to be better weight-loss-wise...

No, no and no.

The whole 'low-fat' diet advice is the biggest nutritional mistake in the last 50 years. It's sugar you want to cut out!

Whole milk is good for you. Skimmed and semi aren't. The whole point is to each as naturally as possible, don't eat foods with stuff artificial added to them.

And would you rather eat the meat of a chicken that's been sick all of it's life as it's been stuck in a cage not able to move, or that of a chicken which is healthy and has developed properly? The quality of the meat is very different.
Don't expect it to make a lot of difference to your weight but lemon and water are both supposed to be good for you, so you might as well drink it (unless you don't like lemons). And don't ask for little diet tips, go by what works for you without ruining your life. It might just mean less driving and takeaways.
No, no and no.

Whole milk is good for you. Skimmed and semi aren't. The whole point is to each as naturally as possible, don't eat foods with stuff artificial added to them.

I wouldn't go as far as to say fatty milk is healthy and skimmed milk isn't, but you do have a point in that swapping a food for a low-fat version of the same thing is useless. For example, a 'Light' cake will often have more sugar, salt and flavourings than normal cake to make up the taste, hence they often have MORE calories (as well as a crap texture).... and then people think that because its low in fat they can eat it all day and not put on weight.... so wrong... so OP, NEVER become one of these people!!!
Ask the Belgians instead.
No, no and no.

The whole 'low-fat' diet advice is the biggest nutritional mistake in the last 50 years. It's sugar you want to cut out!

Skimmed milk is just whole milk with the fat removed. Nothing crazy added.

And would you rather eat the meat of a chicken that's been sick all of it's life as it's been stuck in a cage not able to move, or that of a chicken which is healthy and has developed properly? The quality of the meat is very different.

I agree that animal welfare is important - just not that it makes a difference to weight-loss.
Original post by Charlottielottie
I wouldn't go as far as to say fatty milk is healthy and skimmed milk isn't, but you do have a point in that swapping a food for a low-fat version of the same thing is useless. For example, a 'Light' cake will often have more sugar, salt and flavourings than normal cake to make up the taste, hence they often have MORE calories (as well as a crap texture).... and then people think that because its low in fat they can eat it all day and not put on weight.... so wrong... so OP, NEVER become one of these people!!!

And a 'light' cake just means lighter than the original. It can still be horrendous compared to other things.
Reply 19
Definitely heard of it before, but doubt it really works. Somewhat similar in vein to the idea of drinking apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning helps with weight loss.

Having said that if you do this lemon juice thing, it's more effective to just eat half a grapefruit for breakfast rather than drinking lemon juice.

Quick Reply

Latest