AQA AS Philosophy - Reason and Experience, Empiricism Watch

iomaraxay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey!
Can anyone pleaaaassse help me with this AS Philosophy Question on Reason and Experience?

How does Empiricism account for the existence of our ideas? Is the empiricist right? Explain your answer.

Thank youuuuuuuuu!!!
laura94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm assuming this is a 30 marker?
Well, in your intro you should obviously explain how empiricists account for our ideas - experience.
I would talk about Locke's reason for being an empiricist (if we had innate knowledge we would be conscious of it) then go into the Rationalist's criticism (trigger argument)
Basically just go through criticisms of empiricism and then counter criticise these criticisms.
I have a similiar essay right here, after the Locke bit I did Chomsky, Plato's forms, Descartes and cogito ergo sum, and then summed it up with Humes fork to conclude that without experience we can have no knowledge.
I can send you my essay if you like - it's for a different question (“Without experience there can be no knowledge”. Discuss.") But follows pretty much the same structure. It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure I got near full marks for it.
iomaraxay
Rep:
?
thank you! I'm going to have my AS Philosophy exam this May so hope to at least pass and get a reasonable grade!
laura94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iomaraxay)
thank you! I'm going to have my AS Philosophy exam this May so hope to at least pass and get a reasonable grade!
Good luck! There's only a few different questions you can be asked for the 30 marker, so make sure you've got an essay plan for each one and you should be fine
iomaraxay
Rep:
?
which essay plan? Is there an AQA one?
X
RPat0401
Report 7 years ago
Hey !

What did Chomsky say about ideas?
How would you apply Descartes' cogito ergo sum to aquiring ideas and Plato's world of forms?

Many Thanks!
TheSelfAcknowleged
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laura94)
I'm assuming this is a 30 marker?
Well, in your intro you should obviously explain how empiricists account for our ideas - experience.
I would talk about Locke's reason for being an empiricist (if we had innate knowledge we would be conscious of it) then go into the Rationalist's criticism (trigger argument)
Basically just go through criticisms of empiricism and then counter criticise these criticisms.
I have a similiar essay right here, after the Locke bit I did Chomsky, Plato's forms, Descartes and cogito ergo sum, and then summed it up with Humes fork to conclude that without experience we can have no knowledge.
I can send you my essay if you like - it's for a different question (“Without experience there can be no knowledge”. Discuss.") But follows pretty much the same structure. It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure I got near full marks for it.
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but could you please send me the essay question if you still have it?

I'd really appreciate it! Thanks
laura94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged)
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but could you please send me the essay question if you still have it?

I'd really appreciate it! Thanks
Hi sorry I gave all my AS work away to a friend who is retaking If you write the essay though I'd be happy to help you with it
dgdlalo16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
help me aswell please ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise