Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i live in nottingham and ive been offered a place at rushcliff school, bluecoat and at bilborough college and also a bursary to study at the boys high school (private).

i know that the high school would be the best for me, but im worried because, although i am a confident character, i know NO ONE there, and im told there are literaly no other black guys in their year 11. none of my friends are going there everyone's planning on going to bilborough. what should i do, where should i go

what do you guys think? advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omer94)
    i live in nottingham and ive been offered a place at rushcliff school, bluecoat and at bilborough college and also a bursary to study at the boys high school (private).

i know that the high school would be the best for me, but im worried because, although i am a confident character, i know NO ONE there, and im told there are literaly no other black guys in their year 11. none of my friends are going there everyone's planning on going to bilborough. what should i do, where should i go

what do you guys think? advice would be appreciated
    I finished Bilborough College last year so can only give you advice on what it is like to study there (I'm from Derby as well so I don't have a very good idea of Nottingham schools).
    The thing with Bilbs is that if you want to study and put effort into your studies you will recieve great help and encouragement. Because the college is so big there are great oppotunities in the way of extra curricular (you have to do one for at least a term), trips, uni talks, etc etc... They also have uni fairs, career fairs, health and diversity days (a day with no lessons wooop) throughout the year, which is great for someone who will put these to use.

What isn't good about bilbs is that if you don't put effort into your work (skive lessons, don't do homework/coursework), you will most likely get lost in the crowd of those who do. It is massively different from school. I left a private girls school to attend for A-levels and the first few weeks ranged from scary to weird to fun. You call all your teachers by their first name, you can email them personally through the college email system and with most of them you can just have a laugh (providing you turn up for your lesson).

Most people who go to Bilborough want to learn. Those who don't will most likely leave or get thrown out for bad attendence or failing their AS-levels in the first year.

I'm on my gap year at the moment before going to uni in september but I am currently studying A2 philosophy back at bilbs, just to bump up my A levels.
    Its a great place, if you make the most of what's on offer.

Saying that, I'd personally recommend taking the place at Notts High. But thats just my opinion.

What A-levels were you thinking of studying?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your reply, i havent been on for a while, im looking to do biology chemistry physics and psychology , hopefully become a medic

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.