Losing Weight to then Bulk Up? Watch

Eat.Sleep.Row.Repeat.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The title of this thread sounds quite weird but I'm wondering whether it's the best way of going around things. I'm currently 6ft0 and about 174lbs. I row on the water 5 days a week for 2 hours each session, and when I get home I row for 26mins (Doing an A1 6K) 7 days a week. I know it doesn't make any difference, but i'm doing it for a "toning" kind of thing, but I do 15 pressups, 10 dumbell curls (only 10kg, just very slowly), shrugs, overhead tricep curls, and an exercise for my obliques. I do that just as a warm down after I finish on the rowing machine.

Basically, I'm really keen on rowing! I'm only in the 3rd Boat at my School at the moment as I only actually started this September and there are people who've been rowing for 4 years, but am hoping to be in the 2nd Boat by the Summer Term! Now everyone seems to say, "You need to lose some weight to be more effective." so i'm trying to lose weight. I was 186lbs at Christmas, so have already lost a good 12lbs. My dilema is:

Do I:
  • keep trying to lose weight to get down to 164lbs so I can then be classified as a "lightweight" rower for University rowing etc (Currently in my first year of College, so applying for entry in 2012)
  • get down to 164lbs (with a low fat percentage) then try bulk up to about 186-190lbs over the next 2 years and become a "heavyweight" rower. Most people are "heavyweight" rowers in University from what I understand but every Uni does have a lightweight crew as well.

Is it possible to bulk up around 26lbs? I'm aware that i'll build muscle over time with the more rowing that I do but not sure where I should be aiming for. Any advice would be appreciated!
Eat.Sleep.Row.Repeat.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hate to do this, but I could do with an answer. So:

Bump
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Focus on getting better at rowing, join a gym and stop your homo home workout and get more powerful - whatever weight that makes you is where you need to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads