The Student Room Group

Do you brag on facebook

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by *Lollo*
I hope you are joking :lolwut:

Actually, yes :biggrin: Well, sort of. She posted it without me asking her too, and I deleted the post immediately when I saw it and asked her not to. But I have heard similar stories and I thought I would take the liberty of slightly twisting the truth for comic value... :colondollar: :ninja: Makes things more fun that way!
Reply 41
I'm not comfortable posting anything personal, upsetting/depressing or boastful as a status, it annoys me, along with people who obviously have a keyboard yet choose to write something along the lines of: Had a reyt bad day- u thnk u no sum1 but evry1 is gna hurt u

Basically anything attention seeking.
Original post by Bonfire
I agree with what you've said, and it is something I have noticed amongst my friends more and more- but something that I'm trying to figure out, is why is this behaviour more prevalent amongst women than men? I've heard generalised comments about how men have hobbies and women don't, so women latch onto men because they're something to fill up their time with (and post on facebook about...repeatedly...). Obviously this view is harsh and simplified but wondered what your views were?

I'm not sure the true explanation but like you I notice it, and when I've mentioned it to girls mostly they agree with it rather than saying its an unfair generalisation.

I think in male culture, you aren't really judged by your friends in terms of how good you look, if you're single or in a relationship, or what job you have, where you have been on holiday etc. Guys find talking about each others relationships or holidays etc in general boring. I actually think male to male friendship is a lot more unconditional, if a group of lads are mates, they don't think too much about it, they are just mates, and enjoy spending time together, drinking, playing Pro Evo, watching films, going on road trips, going on nights out, playing sports together, jamming together if they play musical instruments and so on. There isn't really a hierachy of friendship either its a group.

But from what I've observed of female friendships they are far more complicated and there is internal competition and politics going on, and when there's an imbalance it causes tensions....say there's 4 girls who are a common friendship group, 3 are in a relationship and the fourth isn't....she's lost status somehow compared to them and will feel under pressure to get a boyfriend to catch up.

Sometimes I think women don't understand that men don't in general behave like this. I can remember a girl I lived with split with her boyfriend, and then was stalking him for months afterwards on facebook, she had an expensive new hair cut so put it as her profile picture with all her female followers saying "u look soooo gorgeous babes xx" and then was waiting for him to make some comment, but he didn't. Then about 2 weeks later he changed his profile picture to him on some mountain with a field trip he was on through uni, and she was straight away "see, because I changed my profile picture now HE'S trying to match me by changing his, to try and show me he's having SO MUCH FUN? How immature is that!". And then I remember her going on to all her friends and to her sister on the phone, about how he'd changed his profile picture, and also he'd changed his relationship status from single to not showing, so of course she was convinced that this was a retaliatory action on facebook! I kept saying look he's just changed his picture and probably wanted to show less about himself so didn't want people to know what his relationship status was.

I'm not saying all girls would be that extreme but living with girls did give me an insight in the world of facebook games and retaliatory actions to try and gain some advantage over another, you'd hear the girls I live with bitching about some girl who had "been single for like three years and as soon as she gets a boyfriend she wants to show him off on facebook"
Reply 43
I generally only brag if I've been really lucky and got away early at college. I only really do it to wind my school friends up a little :smile:.

I can't stand people to constantly post that they can't wait to go to uni and updating facebook every time they have an offer. Yes it might be brilliant that you're going to X but there will be some people who are just as happy getting into a lesser university or college or people that have been rejected from X - there is no need to brag about it.
Reply 44
One of my 'friends' constantly posts about how she's 'got the hangover from hell' and is 'never ever ever drinking again', which then is commented on by her close friends (usually things like 'OMG babes, you were so hammered!', 'Haha, you're off your head! Love youuu!' and 'Liar! We're going out tomorrow babes!')

She also loves to show her 'deep artistic side' by posting random, usually meaningless, quotes and saying how bad her life is and how everyone treats her like ****.

When she's happy, she posts things like 'LOVE MY LIFE!!' 'Best friends ever!' every 10 minutes even though, the day before, she's said how much she hates them! :p:

Don't get me started on the 349574395 photos she uploads! Every. Single. Day.

I should probably hide her from news feed but, occasionally, she posts useful things about one of our subjects so I guess I just have to put up with it :rolleyes:
I don't untag photos of myself, but I do try and keep my status updates fairly intelligent! They're not usually pointless crap either - often they're informative (e.g. if I am making cake to take down the club, or if I have lost my phone).
my last status on facebook was this: uhhhh

:cool:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think this is more a girl thing from what I've noticed. Nearly all the girls on my facebook are blocked from my news feed. I get the impression its part of the subtle 'one upmanship' that a lot of girls like to play against their friends, which comes down to reminding their friends that

1. They are in a relationship
2. Its a HAPPY relationship, whatever you may suspect
3. They have got a good job and their career is upwardly mobile
4. They go to lots of small weekend breaks and holidays with said boyfriend

The relationship ones are the worst, I knew a girl who spent about 18 months doubting her relationship and being unhappy, but she went out of her way to make her facebook look like her relationship was fairytale, one Valentines Day she changed her profile picture to one taken last summer of her and her boyfriend lying on the grass with their eyes closed with her nuzzling his neck.....they actually spent this whole Valentines Day arguing, but at least when she got to check her facebook, there were a load of comments under the profile pic along the lines of "sweet...u look lovely 2gether" and "best pic ever...u look so happy 2gether babes xxxx"

I totally agree. Many women seem to think the purpose of facebook is to add as many acquaintances as possible and put as many pictures as they can on there. I don't have the inclination to do that, so like I said I got rid of my account.
I try to avoid posting because people get angry far too easily these days. Plus very few people want to know about my lunch. I treated myself to salmon. It was good.
Reply 49

Sometimes I think women don't understand that men don't in general behave like this.

I think that's it; I've seen a pattern emerge as far as facebook is concerned when it comes to post break-ups. Usually the girl allows photos to be taken of her and her friends in a highly social setting, glammed-up, to prove to the ex and everyone else that, actually, she's a catch and she's hot and she's doing fine. And the guy...goes on as normal, sometimes actually does nothing. To be honest, whatever he does, the girl will put some spin on it to make her feel righteous. If he does nothing, it's because he's deeply hurting and can't bear to log on facebook, or he's callous and wants to show how uninterested he is in her life. If he does something, like befriend people or post photos, it's because he wants to prove to her he's ABSOLUTELY OK. I'm not saying all men and women are like this, this is all anecdotal, but it's what happened to a few people I know. And certainly, I've seen it happen the other way round too.

Maybe what makes fb such a success is how there is so much scope for misunderstanding/drama/mindgames and above all, falsehoods
I really couldn't give two hoots.
Actually, if you have anybody who has recently had a kid on your facebook, flipping heck they go on about it, all of their photo albums and profile pictures are of their babies or kids, sometimes they tag themselves or themselves as their partner as their baby.

This. I have a few now that seem to do nothing but post about their babies - it's as if they don't have any other interests whatsoever.

There's one girl who posts several times a day and 99% of them are about how much she loves her girlfriend and how gorgeous she thinks she is and how she wishes she was cuddling with her etc. etc. etc. Eg., 'All dressed up for my special lady, love you so much Xx Xx Xx'. The first time I saw her status, when she first added me, I thought 'oh that's lovely!' - but then I came to realise that she posts this kind of thing constantly. I feel mean for it, but I have started thinking 'yes, we get it!' - tbh if I were her girlfriend I'd ask her to stop it, because I'd feel selfconcious and think 'nobody wants to know...' I'd feel that if my BF started doing it. Nobody else in my entire friends list does this, strangely enough.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bonfire
I agree with what you've said, and it is something I have noticed amongst my friends more and more- but something that I'm trying to figure out, is why is this behaviour more prevalent amongst women than men? I've heard generalised comments about how men have hobbies and women don't, so women latch onto men because they're something to fill up their time with (and post on facebook about...repeatedly...). Obviously this view is harsh and simplified but wondered what your views were?

I think that's a bit silly, loads of girls have hobbies and interests....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53
Facebook photos, I normally untag anything that isn't nice to be associated with on public domain. Statuses, usually post something funny our little one said or did, something very political (usually pro-Conservative) or every now and then will ask for recommendations....

Bragging about stuff we buy... nah.

Complaining...... complaining about taxes, roads, people we have to deal with.... yes. Complains about the other half or what she does...... NEVER.

Photos, we do post quite a lot of them as my other half is into photography and she likes taking photos of us. The cute ones we put on FB.....the good ones we keep for ourselves.

Thing I can't stand the most are those who use this thing called foursquarre.
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
I think that's a bit silly, loads of girls have hobbies and interests....

hiya!!!!!! :biggrin:....long time no see :P how've u been?
Reply 55
There was this dick that posted a status about his 5 conditional offers, and then posted a print screen a few days later of his UCAS showing that he had 5 conditionals.
What gets me the most is when people post meaningless song lyrics, brag about how drunk they are, bitch and cry about how bad their lives are and constantly mention their bf/gf.

My supposed best friend is guilty of most of these. She keeps writing statuses about her ex and how depressed she feels ect... I've told her numerious times that this isn't helping. No, she knows best.

I mean, I'm not entirely sure of what constitutes for a worthwhile status, but c'mon...
I cringee at the thought of putting a status up!

I have an 'emo' friend on facebook who is desperate for any attention. she often puts up
"I need to diet" so people will say she doesn't need to and looks skinny.
"I haven't eaten today yet." so there will be worry and uproar telling her to eat.
"Do u think i could model?" so people will say how pretty she is.
"I feel sick." worry and uproar.... etc
or "so and so just said i was pretty... lol!! i don't think so." uproar "but you are soo stunning!"

or the dreaded "i''m soooj druuihknmkk hahaha lol"
Don't really use facebook much. I peruse a lot just to waste time, but I don't really post any statuses.

Anything I find incessant or banal, statuswise, gets hidden from my feed.

Simple.
OP, parents are definitely worse because I don't think they actively realise the one-upmanship is so obvious.
Teens can obviously brag ie: 'Wooo im going to Malia with my 20 best friends! Woo I just got a new iPad because laptops are passe! Ahh dinner with my boyfriend we're sooo in love' BUT from what I've seen of my parents' friends and friends' parents, they don't seem to realise that these oversharing updates on Twitter and Facebook about organic vegetable crates, lunch at a boutique cafe in Notting Hill and their new home cinema systems are just as attention-seeking as their kids' posts.
Ditto updates about the stresses of running their own business/paying for school skiing trips/finishing some important keynote speech for their banking job or whatever.

...they're excuding a certain lifestyle which seems "acceptable" to them and their friends, its not aspirational because its all firmly middle-class-wish-i-was-richer-and-had-more-leave-from-work... and so they forget that what they're talking about is actually fully inaccessible/boring to most of the population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending