Turn on thread page Beta

LSE vs UCL vs Imperial watch

• View Poll Results: LSE vs UCL vs Imperial (business&technology studies)
    LSE
    41.67%
    UCL
    38.64%
    Imperial Business School
    19.70%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    I would like to ask you about which university you think that it is better. I have offers for LSE and UCL universities for master's programs that are related to business and technology studies. Both masters taught from the management departments.
    I believe that LSE is a better brand-name worldwide in the field of business, as UCL's management department is not really the School's strong point. As far as I' ve heard UCL is one of the top universities in fields such as engineering, medicine etc. On the other hand there is a big difference in tuition fees since in LSE you have to pay 20,000 pounds and in UCL you have to pay 7,000 pounds.
    Do you believe that this big money difference reflects the quality and brand-name difference that LSE offers comparing with UCL?
    Also for which university the career prospects are better?
    Assuming that I get an offer from Imperial Business School too, (20,000 pounds) should I think about it? My opinion is the same with that for UCL. Management is not the strong point of Imperial. However, I've heard that Imperial Business School has strong connections with the market.

ReputationRep:
    LSE beats UCL hands down for virtually everything - especially management, politics, economics and law. Hence the fees are far higher for those subjects.

I would go for LSE, it is also alot harder to get into a masters at LSE, for i know someone who got into UCL with a 2:2.

ReputationRep:
    I agree LSE is better than UCL, but for the money, you can't go wrong with UCL either. You'll still get a prestigious target uni on your CV, and provided your CV is decent, that should be enough to secure you an interview as much as LSE will, so the rest will be down to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answers. I vote for LSE too, but does it worth the money?
    Which do you think is approximately the average salary for a recent graduate from LSE in business sector in UK?

ReputationRep:
    WHAT??? Are you kidding me? perhaps for economics LSE is better then UCL but for law UCL is definitely better then LSE.

I'm currently a second year law student with friends at both schools. And I would say UCL is better, it becomes easier to do more and therefore become *Outstanding*.

Also applying to Vacation Schemes and have secured so I would like to think that would give my comment some merrit. I think on the Assessment centers I have been too UCL and LSE students are matched.

Also both do have a great reputation so it is up to you to get firsts and make yourself a good applicant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightL)
    WHAT??? Are you kidding me? perhaps for economics LSE is better then UCL but for law UCL is definitely better then LSE.

I'm currently a second year law student with friends at both schools. And I would say UCL is better, it becomes easier to do more and therefore become *Outstanding*.

Also applying to Vacation Schemes and have secured so I would like to think that would give my comment some merrit. I think on the Assessment centers I have been too UCL and LSE students are matched.

Also both do have a great reputation so it is up to you to get firsts and make yourself a good applicant.
    So, for management studies you would recommend UCL over LSE? Do you know which is UCL's reputation outside the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playwright)
    So, for management studies you would recommend UCL over LSE? Do you know which is UCL's reputation outside the UK?
    A lot depends on what stage you are at. Post graduate? Graduate? The MBA is something you need to consider when looking at anything regarding management. Perhaps doing a different degree then expanding on that with the MBA.

Such as economics then the MBA - How much time do you want to commit? How far are you intending to go?

I'm not sure about each Uni's reputation for management studies but UCL does have a great reputation as a University as a whole. One of the best in the world, then again so does LSE!!

I would have a look at world rankings, both are good Uni's but take a look at what is on offer more then just the degree. (both have amazing connections)

ReputationRep:
    A lot depends on what stage you are at. Post graduate? Graduate? The MBA is something you need to consider when looking at anything regarding management. Perhaps doing a different degree then expanding on that with the MBA.

Such as economics then the MBA - How much time do you want to commit? How far are you intending to go?

I'm not sure about each Uni's reputation for management studies but UCL does have a great reputation as a University as a whole. One of the best in the world, then again so does LSE!!

I would have a look at world rankings, both are good Uni's but take a look at what is on offer more then just the degree. (both have amazing connections)
    Actually, I will enroll in a postgraduate program next year. You believe that a MBA is needed if both my undergraduate and postgraduate studies are related to management and business (undergraduate: spherical business courses-and few more technical programming courses, graduate: management & technology)?
    Which do you think is approximately the average salary for a recent graduate from a top university in business sector in UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playwright)
    Actually, I will enroll in a postgraduate program next year. You believe that a MBA is needed if both my undergraduate and postgraduate studies are related to management and business (undergraduate: spherical business courses-and few more technical programming courses, graduate: management & technology)?
    Which do you think is approximately the average salary for a recent graduate from a top university in business sector in UK?
    The MBA is a very good course to undertake, I think you are best off speaking to potential employers and asking them what they would prefer.

As for average salaries - I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks "midnightL' !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    LSE beats UCL hands down for virtually everything - especially management, politics, economics and law. Hence the fees are far higher for those subjects.

I would go for LSE, it is also alot harder to get into a masters at LSE, for i know someone who got into UCL with a 2:2.
    LSE better than UCL for law? What nonsense! You realise UCL is more selective than LSE for law and ranks higher in practically every table? Overall, both will present you with excellent opportunities, but to say LSE is better is madness.

ReputationRep:

^ exactly.

ReputationRep:
    To say that LSE is better in "virtually everything" is just incorrect.

Yes, LSE does have a better brand name particularly in Asian countries, therefore the 'wow' factor. It is because LSE specializes in the Economics/Business field, compared to UCL which is multi-faculty university.

Apart from the brand name for economics itself, in what sense in LSE better than UCL? UCL obviously has a better ranking, if reputation is one of the main factor being considered, being 4th and 21st in the Qs and Times rankings respectively. UCL has a far greater history, with a higher number of Nobel Prize winners. Not to mention the long list of alumni that includes Mahatma Gandhi, Alexander G.Bell the inventor of the telephone, John A. Fleming the father of modern electronics, Ramsay Nobel prize winner and discoverer of the inert gases, christopher nolan director of inception and the dark knight, and so on.

You should visit both universities if you have the chance to, and I believe you'll be able to make up your mind then. All the best

ReputationRep:
    LSE - Very specailized in Finance and i Bank. Imperial - Very specialized in Engineering. LSE and Imperial are definitely your 1st choice if you get the admittance in the mentioned fields.

For other areas, you should go UCL and Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:

Erm, what a load of b*llocks.

1. UCL is ranked higher for history
    2. UCL is ranked higher for law, has a higher number of UCAS points per applicant and is, generally, slightly more respected than the LSE's law.
    3. For economics, yes, the LSE does better (as you'd expect). But, considering UCL excels in far more subjects and is higher ranked as an institution, don't you think your assertion is a bit unfair?
    4. For a masters, the two are equal; however, it may be that the LSE is better for that particular masters. My qualm was with you saying th LSE is better for 'virtually everything it offers', which is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    An MBA ia a degree, you do later in your life and most of the people wo do a MBA, which is the money woth, know exactly in which region and business they want to work and use the MBA also to connect with other experienced business men from the "same background". Thus a MBA is nothing you should care about know.

Money can be an important factor, unless you have already enough and unless LSE has something which attracts you in particular, than go for it, but if not, there seems no reason. Anyway, specializations and opportunities at Universities are only of use, if you want to use them. Simply attending won't help you and what is important is your first job in the long run, not so much where you did your Master, unless there is a great gap between the universities.

ReputationRep:

What you've said is pretty flawed. How do the LSE necessarily 'beat' UCL in those subjects? Are we talking job prospects? Teaching standards? What defines 'beat'? Unless you've studied at both and in the same subject (which you haven't), you aren't in a position to comment.

The reason the fees are higher at the LSE is because of the supply and demand. There is a greater demand for LSE places because it has made itself a reputation for being a prestigious, specialized college in the social sciences. The fees aren't higher because they are 'better' than UCL for the subjects that you have listed. It's all about the supply and demand for places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Erm, what a load of b*llocks.

1. UCL is ranked higher for history
    2. UCL is ranked higher for law, has a higher number of UCAS points per applicant and is, generally, slightly more respected than the LSE's law.
    3. For economics, yes, the LSE does better (as you'd expect). But, considering UCL excels in far more subjects and is higher ranked as an institution, don't you think your assertion is a bit unfair?
    4. For a masters, the two are equal; however, it may be that the LSE is better for that particular masters. My qualm was with you saying th LSE is better for 'virtually everything it offers', which is untrue.
    Forget rankings. Your assertion that UCL has a slightly more respected law program than the LSE is just wrong. At the minimum, the LSE is on par with UCL for law, otherwise it slightly tips the balance over UCL.

I agree that the pretence of 'LSE is better for 'virtually everything it offers' ' is false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Garam Masala)
    Forget rankings. Your assertion that UCL has a slightly more respected law program than the LSE is just wrong. At the minimum, the LSE is on par with UCL for law, otherwise it slightly tips the balance over UCL.

I agree that the pretence of 'LSE is better for 'virtually everything it offers' ' is false.
    I agree that it's unwise to base a descision purely on rankings, but rankings still do mean SOMETHING lol. So I won't just "forget about them". As for LSE law being sliightly better, I disagree completely; it is, if anything, slightly below and IS slightky. Less prestigious. Others have said it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    I agree that it's unwise to base a descision purely on rankings, but rankings still do mean SOMETHING lol. So I won't just "forget about them". As for LSE law being sliightly better, I disagree completely; it is, if anything, slightly below and IS slightky. Less prestigious. Others have said it too.
    LSE is negligibly better perceived for law than UCL. Negligible in the sense that a legal employer wouldn't prefer an LSE law grad over a UCL one based on the reputation of the program (as for other professions such as Investment Banking, LSE law beats UCL law). However it's consentially agreed that law at LSE is a little more prestigious than law at UCL. One of the main reasons for this is that it's harder to get into LSE for law. The average number of UCAS points is also higher at the LSE than at UCL.

EDIT: LSE also obtained a better score in the most recent research assessment. This isn't a reflection of its undergraduate program, but rather the quality of its staff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2012

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.