Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Another one, I know.

I'm currently in Year 11 and was thinking of taking the following subjects:
    English Lit
    Geography
    French
    Maths

1. Does anyone take lit and lang and if so, which one would you recommend in terms of enjoyability and usefulness?

2. Also, if anyone takes this combination of subjects (or thereabouts), will there be a large workload or is there room for another AS e.g. Economics or English Lang?

3. I know I'll get grilled for saying this but...I'm very unsure about what sort of career I'll pursue but I'm very interested in and pretty good at these subjects. What sort of careers do they lead to as a combination?

4. Any general advice on these subjects individually from those who take them? e.g. French gets much harder (from what I've gathered from previous threads).

I know you guys are great at this sort of thing so could you give me the same great advice? Cheers. :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Literature is pretty easy. Just read the books and think about it as you read it.

Your subject combinations are okay, but maybe math is a little bit out of place unless you could see yourself doing a geography related topic in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I do french, maths and geography. I do biology aswell.
    The only thing i would say is that french and maths are both hard subjects, i am finding them both easily my two hardest subjects. They both require lots of work and not just your schoolwork you need to be a bit more proactive ie. make sure you get all the maths.
    You need to like geography to beable to stand it cos there it A LOT of work in AS and all this weather and climate stuff can get boring.
    Overall, ide say take french and maths but make sure that you should beable to sort of 'take it easy' a little bit in that subject or else you will have loads of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdids89)
    Another one, I know.

English Lit
    Geography
    French
    Maths

1. Does anyone take lit and lang and if so, which one would you recommend in terms of enjoyability and usefulness?

2. Also, if anyone takes this combination of subjects (or thereabouts), will there be a large workload or is there room for another AS e.g. Economics or English Lang?

3. I know I'll get grilled for saying this but...I'm very unsure about what sort of career I'll pursue but I'm very interested in and pretty good at these subjects. What sort of careers do they lead to as a combination?

4. Any general advice on these subjects individually from those who take them? e.g. French gets much harder (from what I've gathered from previous threads).

I know you guys are great at this sort of thing so could you give me the same great advice? Cheers. :tsr:
    1. You don't need Lit and Lang, seriously - English Lit is the respected and useful one
    2. I'm sure you could fit in Economics

4. French depends on how much you put in in your own time - if you make the effort to speak it when you go to France, and to try and remember new words you learn and practice making sentences and oral, as well as learning the set vocab and grammar every week, it's really not very difficult. The hardest part of the A.S. was probably the oral, so I would devote most time to that. As for Maths, it's easy, don't be fooled - there's only a tiny amount you need to know for C1 and C2, and you will probably get a whole term to learn your applied module. Just listen when it's explained and ask if you don't understand, it's just about applying rules and using your brain. Don't know about English Lit and Geography.

ReputationRep:
    1) I do English lit and it's basically just an extension of GCSE. You still have to study poetry, plays and novels and you still use all the same skills, but obviously you go into more depth, so simply saying 'the poet uses alliteration' is no longer enough- you now have to explain why they use it and the effect it has. The workload isn't too bad, but to state the obvious, you'll need to enjoy reading and writing essays. From what I've heard, English language is completely different to GCSE and gets a bit sciency with things like linguistics and language acquisition, although I think there's also some creative writing involved.

2) As I said above, the workload for English isn't too bad and I haven't found French that much work either. I can't comment on geography or maths, but personally I wouldn't recommend taking 5 subjects unless you're sure you can cope with it. If you want to do English language as well as lit, you could always do the combined course.

3) Not really sure what careers they lead to, but it seems a good combination- an essay subject, a language, a science and a humanity or whatever geography is classed as- that will leave your options open.

4) French does get harder as the topics you study are more complex and you'll be expected to do more spontaneous speaking, not to mention much faster listening tapes and essays, but it also gets much more interesting and it's very rewarding learning a language at a higher level.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously i know more about french culture than i do about british culture now!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do A2 English Lit, Geography and French. I also do English Lang.

Like other people have said, Lit is basically an extention of GCSE. You do basically the same things but in alot more detail. You basically cover the same stuff but have to write about everything and analyse everything so much more. To get the top grades at A level you actually have to know what you're talking about, whereas at GCSE you can get A*s by just sounding clever (at least thats what I did...). I hated AS Lit and hated myself for picking it... carried it on to A2 though and its actually pretty good this year!

Language however is brilliant. I love it so much and it made me realise what I wanted to do at uni- linguistics. Its totally different to GCSE, its more about how language fits into society. At AS I did a unit on language and power, language and technology and language and gender, Another unit was on accents and dialects (they are both really interesting) and then we did an origional writing coursework task, where you do 2 pieces of writing then write a commentary stating why you wrote what you did. At A2 I'm doing language through change (how english language has changed over centuries), child language aquisition- again really interesting, how children learn english, editorial writing, and a language investigation coursework. For A2 coursework you pick an area of language you're interested in then do a project on it.

I'd say lang is better for general usage, and its esspecially interesting when you study a language with it. I did French and Spanish last year and it helped me with grammar. Skills you learn about text analysis can be transfered to other subjects.

Geography is good too. You need to like both human and physical geography at AS- I got really bored with rivers and coasts... but its still interesting. I did an investigation coursework which was really cool as we went on a 2 week trip to Yorkshire and completed it all there. It was the most fun I've ever had doing coursework! At A2 its loads more fun as you do stuff about global challenges. We are doing more about the environment and climate change which I love (I'm a "tree hugger" :rolleyes:) and then stuff about the economy and population.

French... is a big mass of hard work. But fun. I struggled all the way through my AS year due to abominable teaching at GCSE... honestly, I may as well have started from scratch at AS. I loved it, and I still do but it is incredibly hard. You have to know your grammar and be prepared to do loads of extra work for speaking. Its more about actual France- you do about French society, and you learn how to talk about proper things rather than random stuff about holidays!

ReputationRep:
    Another one, I know.

English Lit
    Geography
    French
    Maths

I do Lit and Geog

I'd advise you to do Lit as its well respected and really easy.. even if your really lazy you can read the books at easter, read some critiques and still come out with nigh on full marks if you can write a good essay.

Geography is ok, however you have to learn a lot of facts, which is boring, however once again it is respected. Physical is boring, human is interesting.

From that bunch of subjects you've stated, it seems an excellent combination and leaves you open to almost everything which is good if your not sure what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    I study Eng lang and lit- best advice is to check the exam board and what text's you'll be studying as this can vary depending on individual teachers- last year at my school one group studied a victorian novel and modern poetry (definitely the easier option I think) whilst another did Chaucer (there were loads of groans over this as its in Old English with some French and so needs quite a bit of translation!) and a modern novel. Also, this year, one exam board is allowing Harry potter to be studied and compared to another book, Tom Brown's schooldays.
    Don't get me wrong, Harry Potter= good fun to read, but i wouldn't have thought it was the most challenging or interesting things to study in depth for weeks at a time! It depends what you're looking for i guess-maybe that would be easier to get a good grade?
    French was really good to study- it can be a bit tricky at first getting to grips with new grammar and tenses, but you really do learn loads about French culture and current events. Plus, if you ever visited france, you could order off the menu, lol!
    As to taking an extra subject, what are you doing about General studies? If you're taking that as well, then the workload might get a bit much- I took 5 subjects at AS, and was starting to regret it when i saw the distinct lack of study periods on my timetable compared with everyone elses, believe me! If you aren't already taking General studies it might be a good extra as it doesn't require much work outside of class, other than a knowledge of current events. I'm told that it's also popular with universities!

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths for A2 and i find it quite hard :hmmmm2: , especially with history as both subjects are quite demanding, but if you know you can succeed to whatever you want . My advice is try not to have to many essay style courses, because in AS I took Eng Lit and History and I struggled with the work load.

ReputationRep:
    I can only comment on Maths and French. Maths, it's really good fun and much more exciting than at GCSE level and respected so go for it. French....hmm well personally I don't think it's very hard (just got 95% on Unit 1 paper without revising) - if you're very confident and good at French GCSE Higher then it should be no problem but I don't like the course - there're so many statistics and facts to learn about the French culture and not so much grammar. Still, it's good fun and really worth doing if you're interested in that sort of thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    Literature is pretty easy. Just read the books and think about it as you read it.
    :confused: It's really not.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Geography, it is soooooooooooooooooooooooo boring, please dont take it. If you fancy colouring in drawings that much take a colouring course with Crayola, or something.

ReputationRep:
    Another one, I know.

English Lit
    Geography
    French
    Maths

1) i do lang and lit in english AS. you go into a much deeper analysis of poetry and transcripts for unit 1. what we are doing at the moment is town and country, poetry for lit and transcripts for lang. u learn a lot more terminology like semantics, graphology, morphology etc. so on the whole, i think that its quite interesting learning new terminology to help improve essays.

2) i do 4 subjects at the moment (look at sig) and thats how many i have been offered at our school. but for the gifted and talented ppl in yr 11 at our skl, a 5th A Level in Critical Thinking has been introduced. anywayz, i think that 4 subjects are enough and u will get a lot of work. essays every 2 weeks, hwk everyday frm every lesson etc. so i doubt there will be any space to do any extra subjects.

3) im not sure about career possibilities, im unsure myself about what to do as a degree!!! but i think u have got quite an open range of subjects. and if u r good at them and interested, then go ahead and do them! u'll only get good A Level grades!!!

4) i do maths as well. there is a MAHUSIVE gap from GCSE maths to AS maths (not trying 2 scare u or nothing). frm wht i have experienced, C1 is fairly simple as its just advanced techniques of GCSE higher maths. M1 on the other hand is simple, but my teacher makes it sound so hard and confusing. i hope that u get a good teacher for mechanics if u take maths!!

i hope this has helped and i havent just blabbered on about nothing, as i tend to do that regularly.

and good luck for your GCSEs!!

frm hatty341

ReputationRep:
    Another one, I know.

English Lit
    Geography
    French
    Maths

I can only comment on maths and i can say it gets more interesting and enjoyable plus i would really recommend it, since its a great subject and is highly regarding and you will suceed in it if you enjoy it and are quite good at it. Much of maths is all new (calculus, trigonometric-hope thats how you spell it) and the basic AS concepts are gcse higher tier. Maths get much harder but not as much as any of the sciences in my opinion. With such a broad range of subjects you have such a wide range of possible degrees but i would say wait until the end of your AS yr and then make a firm choice.

Ps. You def need a GCSE maths grade B min to do well in A level maths (in my opinion)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'll say this for French: it's not just about learning the language and applying it to personal situation when you do AS, you're expected to learn a lot about France and the culture. They like you to be able to put random statistics into your writing/speaking, so there's a bit of memorising to do there. I personally didn't find learning the grammar and new vocabulary that complicated, and managed to get an A with hardly any revising...other than the stress of learning my presentation for the oral exam.

Maths, it's easy. As long as you're finding GCSE easy, you should do fine. It's mostly a case of learning the methods, and figuring out how to apply them in different situations. Also, in the Core modules, you'll find a lot of the topics are repeated throughout the year, just in more depth.

I have a friend who takes almost the combination you're thinking of (she does EngLit, Maths, French and History). She managed to get 4 As at AS, whilst taking an extra AS over two years in Theatre Studies. She copes with the workload perfectly fine, and has time enough to go out as well

ReputationRep:
    If those are the subjects that you feel you will both enjoy and excel in then it's the right combination for you, I'd go for English Lit over the Lang if you're worried about how respectable they are.

As to what careers they lead to, A Level exams don't really lead to specific careers as such, they're more a means of getting to university.

ReputationRep:
    You've got a nice combination there, my friend did similar subjects and chose to study accountacy and finance another business managment. You've really got to find which key subject you like most for me it would be maths so Id go for maths career first and see how the other subjects could aid it. My friend prefferd literature to language, he though literature was much more intresting and much easier to do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys-you've been great as usual.

and good luck for your GCSEs!!
    Cheers Hatty! Mock exams in 1 week And yet we still have homeowrks and courseworks ???

Is geography similar to GCSE at A level? I haven't seen many threads on geography AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)

Your subject combinations are okay, but maybe math is a little bit out of place unless you could see yourself doing a geography related topic in the future.
    I would agree, they are a bit askew.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.