Univeristy Accomodation (Kent) Watch

hi1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Wondering whether anyone can give me advice on what type of accomodation to pick when i go fo to Uni in september. Iv put Kent Uni down as my firm and Hertfordshire as my insurance.

Some mates who are older than me have said that they think it would be best to go self catering and live in a house, as its just generally better in all aspects. But i was thinking for my first year would it be better to go catered and live in halls? some say that its best to stay in halls for the first year as its easier to make new mates there, plus when your settling down you dont want to worry about having to cook food?

Whats your Opinion? cheers x
Xno-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Parkwood houses.
makeshiftwings
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stay in halls. Not as nice but closer to the bars and great for making friends. Eliot is the best one.
n7v
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend halls too. The colleges are so much more sociable - hundreds of people on your doorstep. I'd vote Darwin (I may be biased). You can stay for the holidays, which isn't the case for Rutherford/Eliot. You're not trapped in a corridor where nobody talks to each other (like in Tyler) and you're not confined to a house. The layout just makes it so much more possible to meet loads of people, and you're pretty much guaranteed to find some people somewhere that you get on with. I know so many people that don't get on with their actual flatmates, but are really close with the people in the flat above/below/next door. Sometimes even to the point of using their kitchen permanently rather than their own.
hi1234
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advise people much appreciated, Its a pain in the ass because everyone gives different opinions, as youd expect if they stayed in one they would say that is better,

By the sounds of it i think il go to the halls, one more thing though

It sounds like your being selfish and a bit snobby but is it all ok sharing bathrooms and showers etc? i dont mind sharing im just thinking what if you get some dirty ****er who doesnt clean up after themselves? or am i just thinking to much about it ?
cinnamon442
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you go for Tyler or some of the superior Parkwood Houses, you get en suite. I lived in Tyler A in my first year and I'd say it was worth the extra money to get your own shower since I lived with some fairly disgusting boys who'd come in covered in mud and sweat most of the time. :-)
thursday87
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have lived in Keynes with an ensuite and parkwood houses with a communal bathroom. I think i prefered parkwood. If they still have the pod bathrooms in keynes then they arent the nicest of things and take up a chunk of the room.
Sharing a bathroom in a house of 5 was fine.
OllieCPFC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Parkwood Houses (6 bedrooms). There is no contest and they're not bad value compared to Tyler and Parkwood flats.

There are 2 bathrooms for 6 people and I've never had an issue waiting to use one, if this is what you're worried about.

Kitchen and bedrooms both spacious compared to other accommodation. Nice green areas and space around the houses etc.

Generally a feel good area and really easy to meet people.

Any questions, let me know...
hi1234
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the advise, it definatly helps

One pther question is how much would be a reasonable amount to live on in canterbury? Iv been having a look at finances and the loans but obviously its impossible for me to estimate how much i could live on as i dont live in that direction,

At the moment it looks like ill stay in a college so will have to pay for dinner and lunch ( or subsidised dinner as i understand it ) and bearing in mind id hope to be able to go out with mates.

Any rough estimates would be great, Thanks
ceejaycoco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hey guys can i still apply for accodomation in kent if i have a conditional offer and have not yet decided on my firm and insurance yet because i havent received all my offers yet..???
shanaynay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ceejaycoco)
hey guys can i still apply for accodomation in kent if i have a conditional offer and have not yet decided on my firm and insurance yet because i havent received all my offers yet..???
yes you can
ceejaycoco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shanaynay)
yes you can
okkies thanks
J420
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I havent decided if Im 100% up for Kent yet but i have an unconditional, can i apply for accomadation now even if i have not given them an answer yet? Would like to apply for the parkwood houses , most ppl seem to think its the best choice, am i right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (68)
77.27%
No (20)
22.73%

Watched Threads