re-do a year at uni or set up my own business? Watch

Noopal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I got quite bad grade at uni, graduated last summer, Ive been looking for jobs for about 6 months and had 3 really bad jobs.

Ive been emailing the advice department at uni and spoken to a few other people, and they mentioned it may be possible to transfer modules from open uni, or transfer modules from my degree to an open course and retake modules equivalent to the ones I got bad grades in.

If this does happen the courses will start in may and could last a whole year depending on which modules I choose, aswell as costing me an extra 3k to sit the modules.

I have a few business ideas, but I will not be able to do both at the same time, if I go back to uni I will put my full concentration on that so I dont mess it up this time.

My main area is business management, with some accountancy and very little economics and marketing. Schemes I would like to get into are trainee management schemes possibly in financial areas.

The thing thats putitng me off is I know so many people that have got good grades and still dont have good jobs, I had a friend that did a PGCE and it took her over 18 months to get a graduate job and that wasnt even in teaching, and I know about 3 or 4 other people that got 2.1s last summer and work in pubs or phone support etc.

So if the university sort it out for me to do the extra modules I dont know if it will be worth the time and money if im not going to get a job out of it.
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
go to uni, as this opportunity may not come again, and its only 1 year....and yet you will get a much better degree and will have something credible to fall back on if your business ideas fall through

whereas your business ideas can wait a year and probably won't be affected by you gaining a better level of qualification
Kerny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
do both
BringBackDeathPen!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Both; if you can, and it won't affect your university classification. The answer to this, only you know as much, if not more, than us.
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
both
mantis117
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I got quite bad grade at uni
What uni and what grade?

The thing thats putitng me off is I know so many people that have got good grades and still dont have good jobs, I had a friend that did a PGCE and it took her over 18 months to get a graduate job and that wasnt even in teaching, and I know about 3 or 4 other people that got 2.1s last summer and work in pubs or phone support etc.
It's tough out there, no question about that. Another year at uni won't throw all your business ideas and ambitions out of the window.
Noopal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
To those that have asked questions,

I got a third class degree based on , 2 Bs, 1C, and 5Ds.

In business management.

The thing that bothers me about doing both is I was working quite alot whilst at uni the first time so missed out on quite a bit of work, thats why i would prefer to concentrate on just one.

I heard that only 1 in 5 graduates have jobs, 20 %. But only around 50% business fail. So im much more likely to have a successful business than I am a graduate job.

But as been said, its probably best to go back now, I can try setting up my own business when ever I like, and tuition fees are rising so will probably cost me more if I do get the chance to go back at a later date.
mantis117
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But as been said, its probably best to go back now, I can try setting up my own business when ever I like, and tuition fees are rising so will probably cost me more if I do get the chance to go back at a later date.
This.
A 3rd is pretty dire, honestly - just go back to uni.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed