Anyone studying Politics at UEA Watch

howzatt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, I have an offer to study Culture, Literature and Politics at the UEA starting in Sept. I plan on commuting and was just wondering if anybody could give me a guide as to how many days a week I would be expected in and for how many hours.
Any help greatly appreciated..
howzatt
Rep:
?
Okay, 60 people have read this in a week and nobody replies. Have I said something that doesn't make sense or is there nobody on here who would have an idea about the answer. Bit worried now..
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by howzatt)
Okay, 60 people have read this in a week and nobody replies. Have I said something that doesn't make sense or is there nobody on here who would have an idea about the answer. Bit worried now..
Most of us here are prospective or future UEA students who haven't actually started yet. I saw your thread title and thought you were merely looking for potential coursemates as I'm going to be studying International Relations so will be in the same department as you.

I don't know the exact number of contact hours at UEA, but Leeds & Birmingham quoted me 10 hours a week of contact time so I reckon it will be around the same number at UEA- certainly should be between 8-12, bare in mind this could be spread out accross the week. There are a few current students lurking around, but none of the ones I've seen do Politics.
howzatt
Rep:
?
Ah okay, that makes sense. I am purely thinking cost of fuel for commuting.

Thank you for your help..
Copernican
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't study Politics at UEA, I study law but here's my experience.

Each of my 30 credit modules have 2 hours of lectures per week and 1 hour of seminars every other week. We do 120 credits each year and we only do 4 modules per year, so its about 10 hours per week.

I have lectures every day except wednesday, however I have a seminar every other wednesday, most of my friends don't have seminars each wednesday. I have only one hour on a monday and friday though every other friday I have two hours. I have 5 and 3 hours on a tuesday that varies.
Last year was the same.

Basically it is sporadic and it will depend entirely on your modules and lecture and seminar groups. You could be lucky/unlucky and have only 2 hours every day monday to friday or you might have one, two or three days off. (Someone I know in their third year has 9 - 5 seminars on thursdays and that's it)
Last years students can give you a rough idea on the amount of contact hours you'll have but they won't be able to tell you how that's spread out over the year as that can change each year. Unfortunately the only people who can tell you the answer is your school of study after completing the timetable and based on the release last year, that won't be until August.
howzatt
Rep:
?
That's a great help. I guess I should prepare to have to commute in 5 days a week and if I manage to get a free day then that would be a bonus.

Thanks for the reply..
ellie_the_owl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm studying Culture,Literature and Politics next year hopefully next year, not started yet so can't answer the question but hope to meet you
howzatt
Rep:
?
Hi ellie, have you been on a visit day yet? i'm hoping to go on 30th March. Hope to meet you soon..
ellie_the_owl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went in Feb, everything seemed very interesting
Coopatroopa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

I'm coming to the end of my third year doing politics and IR, so I suspect your course will be pretty similar to mine.

In my first year and second year I had 8 hours of lectures a week, spread over 3-4 days a week. In my third year this dropped considerably: in autumn semester I only had 2 hours on friday (rest of the time was spent reading and dissertation), this semester I've only had 2 hours on monday and tuesday.

Be aware though, that you may want to come and use the library, even if you don't have lectures (though I suspect in first year this won't be much of a problem :P).

Hope this helps

Greg x
howzatt
Rep:
?
Thanks Coopatroopa.
How have you found the course? Was it what you were expecting when you started?
Cheers for your help..
Coopatroopa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No worries. It's difficult to say whether it's what I was expecting, as I'd never studied politics before! I'm heading for a first, and I'd say that though it's never taxed me intellectually like science or philosophy might, it certainly still takes a lot of work to get high marks. I have loved the course though. It really teaches you to think critically and dissect what you see and hear in the world around you.

In first year the modules are fairly prescribed for you, so you don't really get much choice. After this however, you get a lot more scope to choose your modules and fit your degree to your own tastes. I'm particuarly interested in the theory/philosophy side of politics, for example, so I've just finished writing a dissertation about the relationship between the enlightenment and the American Constitution...

Sorry I couldn't be more specific! If you've got any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them .

Greg x
howzatt
Rep:
?
Thanks Greg.

I went to a visit day on Wed. I got a really good vibe for the place. Head down now to try and get my grades. Really want to choose UEA. Not even thinking about my other offers now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.35%
No (417)
72.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise