Why is there a limited amount of foreign news in our papers? Watch

EternalDoom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Why is it that in the newspapers we read daily, that majority of it is local and national news, and sports etc, and there is only a small amount in comparison of foreign news?
EternalDoom
Rep:
?
*bump*
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't think this was the case....
brendan.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Except.. I'm sure all the UK papers are covering the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan at the moment.
Plus what do you expect, it's an English paper.. so English news. They base stories on what they think the readers will find most interesting.
All the big foreign stories are there, but it's still OUR paper. If you go to France, you're not going to expect to see English national news stories now are yaa?
gingerrama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on the paper, ones like the Sun seem to generally only cover major foreign stories but I don't think Sun readers mind...
thisisnew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do you want them to do? Cover local stories in Uzbekistan about disputes between goat farmers etc? Conversely you'll probably find major papers in other countries covering... wait for it... mostly things regarding their own country & region. Shocking, I know. Even The Sun has a reporter in Libya with the rebels!

If you're desperate for world news then check the internet.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EternalDoom)
Why is it that in the newspapers we read daily, that majority of it is local and national news, and sports etc, and there is only a small amount in comparison of foreign news?
The Times tends to have a bit. but its why I read the economist each week as it has a lot more worldwide news
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People by and large seem to prefer to read about subjects they feel they have some sort of connection with i.e. stuff that affects their local area, their country, etc.
geekandproud
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a report from the Media Standards Trust on this which came out in the Autumn, which looks at just this topic. It's been covered quite a lot in the media, for example: http://www.newstatesman.com/internat...tional-british

Well worth a read (well, I liked it!)
EternalDoom
Rep:
?
It's for a question for one my classes, need to do a presentation about it and need ideas
concubine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This statement is absurd, as it's simply not true (especially in the UK).

Also, they're ****ing national papers, not international ones, so if it were to be the case I fail to see the problem.

People that are genuinely interested in current events moved away from papers to the internet in like, well before ****ing 2000. Just browse The Economist or some **** (even if it is kinda US/UK centred)
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The majority of people who read my local paper probably think Europe is a country and Vietnam is a little town in the hills near Sydney.
That's why we have stories of lost dogs and footballers helping tomato farmers instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No (217)
73.56%

Watched Threads