Announcements

ReputationRep:
    right so i got my january results back the other day and they areeee:
    (aqa)geography (geog4B) : B
    (ocr)chemistry jan A2: B
    (ocr)biology AS unit 2 resit: C
    (ocr)chemistry AS unit 1 resit: D
    (ocr)biology A2 jan : E

so i spent like most my time revising biology A2 for the exam and got an E where as the geography & chemistry where i got BB i hardly revised at all.
    it just doesnt make any sence?

so is what im after really, is how do you find best to revise biology, as i obviously seem to be doing something wrong?

thankyouuuu
    tim

ReputationRep:
    Biology is really all about exam technique, I do AQA and lots of people didn't do well in my class either but I think it's due to waffling on and not putting what the markscheme requires i.e. what phrases/points the examiner is looking for. Also, for AQA Unit 4 is all application, is that the same case for OCR? That might be the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR biology, and basically to revise I only used the text book. Just try and learn as much of it as you can, and be able to link back to AS stuff aswel. I'd recommend printing off the specification from the OCR website and using it as a checklist to make sure you've covered everything. They're pretty hot on key words so don't waffle too much and try and pick out specific words they're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I used the textbook, exam style questions, not even a revision guide!

The trick to AQA is past papers! They have such specific answers to rather vague questions, especially in unit 4 biology which was a huge cluster****, which i managed to miraculously score an A on.

ReputationRep:
    I got the same grade in the ocr chem unit 4 ((( I walked out thinking I did well, if anything I thought i'd done worse in other subjects but i got As in them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    I used the textbook, exam style questions, not even a revision guide!

The trick to AQA is past papers! They have such specific answers to rather vague questions, especially in unit 4 biology which was a huge cluster****, which i managed to miraculously score an A on.
    Haha I know what you mean! I did the AQA biology and like I mentioned to the thread starter I somehow got on A on that paper missing out parts, running out of time and did worse in chem.
    Maybe everyone struggles bringing the grade boundaries down?

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean!! I revised soo soo much for BIOL4 only to get a D in the exam and revised not half as much for geog issue evaluation on Northern Ireland and got a B!?! seriously dont know how that happened? :L

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.