Would you ever hurt somebody elses feelings to make your own feel better? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Would you ever (or have you ever) hurt somebody else in order to make yourself or another person or group of people feel better?
In Utilitarian terms, do you believe that causing someone else to feel less utility in order to make create a larger amount of utility for a larger number of people will ever be the right or moral thing to do?
BringBackDeathPen!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope. I'd probably do the other way though, hurt myself for my family/friends/girlfriend :dontknow:
tinshed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I will not feel better if I hurt someone else's feelings, In fact I will feel much worse knowing I have hurt them.
In terms of morality treat others as you'd like to be treated, it generally works well.
j.alexanderh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely agree with utilitarianism on a purely logical level, but I suspect that faced with that kind of situation I wouldn't be so self assured.
~Kat~
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't usually but I suppose it's subjective, isn't it? If someone had really ****ed me over then yes I would.
Talipants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends on how much they mean to me.
Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would do anything as long as it ends up with me obtaining pleasure.

Self preservation ofcourse is the basis for me to continue receiving pleasure hence I'm anti utilitarianism as it loses any meaning of self.
eLECTROLOSIS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone does it. Taking the piss out of people for a laugh is funny isn't it.
daisychainhippy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I don't agree with utilitarian ideas AT ALL.
humble_bumble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have in the past, when i was a child, but only with my brother. Otherwise I have never actually done it. And now at this age, i find it pathetic. If someone can stoop so low to hurt me, i wont bother stooping low as them, then there would be no difference between us.

edit: Dunno if that made sense :P
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, of course I would, for example, there is this one person who keeps hanging around and is generally miserable, she just sits around looking at the floor, really brings a negative vibe to the group, she claims to be suicidal but refuses any attempt at help.

I have a good mind to just tell her to **** off.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by imperial maniac)
Yes, of course I would, for example, there is this one person who keeps hanging around and is generally miserable, she just sits around looking at the floor, really brings a negative vibe to the group, she claims to be suicidal but refuses any attempt at help.

I have a good mind to just tell her to **** off.
The reason I'm asking is a situation that I'm in that's not similar to yours but, I need to move on from something and unless I do something like you said you have "a good mind to tell her to **** off" then I don't think I can move on.
It would increase my own utility at the expense of hers and I don't know if it's pathetic and stooping low though (btw I wouldn't actually be telling her to **** off I would be revealing to her the truth of something I had previously lied about which might hurt her)
Symph
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't hurt somebody elses feelings to make myself feel better, but I have hurt people's feelings before both intentionally and unintentionally and felt awful afterwards. I try not to do it but some people just **** me right off on occasion. I'm generally the first to say sorry after though!
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well TSR is a good place for this.

When your Oxbridge application gets rejected and you have to retreat in shame from posting on the Oxbridge forum about what college you're applying to, what you got up to at interview time etc, you can console yourself by looking at threads about "does university matter" and tell all the people who are at ex polys that you've got offers from FOUR RED BRICKS and that you OBJECT STRONGLY to having YOUR TAXES go to fund their education at a crappy university like a poly, why don't they just get a job FFS.

It might be a bit infantile but it makes the rejection from Oxbridge a bit easier to take.
montyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If the net benefit was positive, perhaps.
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not deliberately. If I knew that I'd deliberately done something to hurt someone, it wouldn't make me feel better at all, so it wouldn't really work. I feel guilty enough when I do something that accidentally hurts someone else.
Harry.C
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Humans are inherently selfish, so if you want to do it, nothing to stop you. Of course, the guilt should/could stop you.
asdfg0987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only if I dislike them.

It's someone else's you illiterate! :awesome:
Peachykeen09
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
Everyone does it. Taking the piss out of people for a laugh is funny isn't it.
this. i do it all the time.
willbee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wish I could be nastier to people tbh. I would love to do a "Sue Sylvester". Generally, I do have the nerve to say those things when I think of them, and if I want to say them, I do. But tbh, although I sound nastier than many people, it's only because I say what I'm thinking. I'm deffo one of the least two-faced people at my school, so people either know they can trust me, or know that they can't, which I personally think is a good thing.

I actually don't think that many nasty thoughts, or at least, not as many as a lot of people at my school, and I wish I could think of more insulting things to say.

When I first joined the school I was a very different person. I was nicer, and more naive. But when you're nice people take advantage, and are nasty and hurtful and expect you not to mind. Or mind, but not make a fuss about it.

Now I'm not very nice, to many people, I can be very nasty. In general though, I don't say hurtful things to people who haven't wronged me first. Some people tell me I've become bitter and mean, but imo I've started standing up for myself, stopping people walking over me and I've told them I'm a force to be reckoned with.

At my school, the more hurtful you can be in an argument, the more respected you are as someone who can stand up for themselves, and the less likely you are to be targeted at by "bullies" or ****-stirrers. I may not be a nice person anymore, but Im much happier because of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads