First dog? Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I am looking into getting a dog in the future and I was just wondering what the best breeds are for a first time dog owner. Ideally, it would be a larger dog but Ive heard that many aren't recommended for first time dog owners eg. Siberian Huskies. Everywhere has advice on which dogs aren't suitable, but not the other way around

Obviously all dogs are different, but just as a general guide

We've looked into rescuing a dog, however Id just like to know anyway.

Thanks!

Also, what did you have as your first dog and would you recommend them?
~Kat~
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It all depends, would it be just you, or you and a partenr, or a family?
Rep:
?
Well probably partner and then eventually family. The dog would be around a fair few different people though as we have a lot of visitors
Pheebs1201
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are currently experiencing our first dog and shes an absolute dream. Her mother is a Sprollie (collie x springer spaniel) and her dad is a jack russel. However her brothers are all complete nightmares! So it isnt just the breed, its the individual dog and also the environment and training you provide.

However, cocker or king charles spaniels seem to be a nice breed to go for, or possibly a labrador if youre wanting something bigger? Or even labradoodle?

I wouldnt reccomend a husky for your first dog as they need alot of work.

All dogs are going to be hard work but puppy classes are the the best, most fun thing Ive done in awhile, it'll be a learning curve for you & your dog! As long as your committed im sure you'll cope.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I were you I'd go to a rescue with an open minded approach and just go for the individual dog who seems to suit you, regardless of the breed.

sighthounds and staffy-types are both very common in rescue and both, in general, make excellent pets.
bananacake14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pheebs1201)
We are currently experiencing our first dog and shes an absolute dream. Her mother is a Sprollie (collie x springer spaniel) and her dad is a jack russel. However her brothers are all complete nightmares! So it isnt just the breed, its the individual dog and also the environment and training you provide.

However, cocker or king charles spaniels seem to be a nice breed to go for, or possibly a labrador if youre wanting something bigger? Or even labradoodle?

I wouldnt reccomend a husky for your first dog as they need alot of work.

All dogs are going to be hard work but puppy classes are the the best, most fun thing Ive done in awhile, it'll be a learning curve for you & your dog! As long as your committed im sure you'll cope.
We've just had a Sprollie haha, hadn't heard of that name for them yet.
We got her 2 weeks ago, as lovely and sweet as she is, she is a monster!! She's only 11 weeks so we've got a long long way to go :P
~*Horse_Mad*~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 1.2.3.)
Hi, I am looking into getting a dog in the future and I was just wondering what the best breeds are for a first time dog owner. Ideally, it would be a larger dog but Ive heard that many aren't recommended for first time dog owners eg. Siberian Huskies. Everywhere has advice on which dogs aren't suitable, but not the other way around

Thanks!
I would suggest that for a first Dog would be to get one from a Rescue Centre as they can give you all the best advice for looking after your Dog as well as help you find one that'll be appreciative of a new Home
From my experience Rescued Animals are a little more loving than pure bred/Show performance Dogs as They are thankful that you Love Them
Good Luck finding your perfect Dog - please let us know what Dog you do get!!
Pheebs1201
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bananacake14)
We've just had a Sprollie haha, hadn't heard of that name for them yet.
We got her 2 weeks ago, as lovely and sweet as she is, she is a monster!! She's only 11 weeks so we've got a long long way to go :P
They really are lovely :love:

(Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~)
I would suggest that for a first Dog would be to get one from a Rescue Centre as they can give you all the best advice for looking after your Dog as well as help you find one that'll be appreciative of a new Home
From my experience Rescued Animals are a little more loving than pure bred/Show performance Dogs as They are thankful that you Love Them
Good Luck finding your perfect Dog - please let us know what Dog you do get!!
Im not sure dogs from rescue centres are the best idea as more often than not they require extremely experienced owners as they have a bad history and as a result can have psychological problems, either that or the reason they are in a rescue centre is because their previous owners could not handle them therefore they'd be a great responsibility for a new owner. Rescue centres will generally search for more experienced homes for such dogs. However asking a local centre for advice on breeds is certainly a good idea
~*Horse_Mad*~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im not sure dogs from rescue centres are the best idea as more often than not they require extremely experienced owners as they have a bad history and as a result can have psychological problems, either that or the reason they are in a rescue centre is because their previous owners could not handle them therefore they'd be a great responsibility for a new owner. Rescue centres will generally search for more experienced homes for such dogs. However asking a local centre for advice on breeds is certainly a good idea
I see your point But from my experience Rescue Dogs are really worth a look as I currently have an almost 14 yr old Dalmation who is my Gorgeous Girlie but She is sooooo hyper lol. And my lush Cavilear Kings Charles Spaniel has a heart murmour. Whereas when we've had Rescue Dogs/Cross Breeds we've found Them great on the whole - I think it depends on the Dog, and how They suit the owner, I think it's worth looking as there are so many Dogs in need of Homes atm
Pheebs1201
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see your point But from my experience Rescue Dogs are really worth a look as I currently have an almost 14 yr old Dalmation who is my Gorgeous Girlie but She is sooooo hyper lol. And my lush Cavilear Kings Charles Spaniel has a heart murmour. Whereas when we've had Rescue Dogs/Cross Breeds we've found Them great on the whole - I think it depends on the Dog, and how They suit the owner, I think it's worth looking as there are so many Dogs in need of Homes atm
Very true, always worth a look!

Btw I am also horse mad Currently have a ten year old Arab Mare :love:
~*Horse_Mad*~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very true, always worth a look!

Btw I am also horse mad Currently have a ten year old Arab Mare :love:

And fab, I Love Arabs!! I have a Beautiful Sec B X PBA Mare and a Handsome 3/4 Welshie,1/4 Arab Gelding - They're my life!!
Cybele
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks!
There's nothing wrong with larger dogs if you're a first time owner - not all dogs are the same, and some breeds are generally much calmer than others. Have a think about how much time you'll have to exercise your dog, breeds like collies and spaniels require a LOT of exercise and are very excitable, they have so much energy! Other breeds are happy with less intense exercise and can get quite lazy if you don't encourage them to play outside. We had an English Springer Spaniel which we got from a rescue home, but unfortunately, it had a tendency to chase lights to the point where it would run into walls and chase traffic, and we lived on a main road. For its own safety we had to give it back to the home. So make sure you know that rescue dogs may have already picked up 'habits' that you'd need to spend time correcting. We're thinking about getting another dog very soon, and we've got our heart set on a Bullmastiff. They're so docile and rarely bark, plus they're one of the most chilled out breeds I've ever seen.
Pheebs1201
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

And fab, I Love Arabs!! I have a Beautiful Sec B X PBA Mare and a Handsome 3/4 Welshie,1/4 Arab Gelding - They're my life!!
Arabs are the best :yes: they both sound lovely
~*Horse_Mad*~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Arabs are the best :yes: they both sound lovely
Thank You!! Your Arab Mare sounds lovely too!! Arabs are absolutely gorgeous - Arabs and Welshies are definately my weaknesses!! lol
SpySapper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nintendogs suitable for all
nathan=]
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get an Alaskan Klee Kai, its like a Siberian husky but MINI!
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help everyone!

after looking at rescue dogs, we will probably be getting a staffy, theyre such happy little dogs
Pheebs1201
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

after looking at rescue dogs, we will probably be getting a staffy, theyre such happy little dogs
Aww how lovely they are such sweet little things
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Labs are perfect for first time owners.
I'd stay away from spaniel breeds, just because they can be very energetic and a bit of a handful for your first time.

Staffys can be lovely, but were originally bred for dog fighting. If you're getting a rescue dog (which I've alway done, and is brilliant), you may want to really be careful getting a staffy just because you don't know its background.

My dog is a rescue dog, and is lovely. She's a real mixed breed, and I think that's something people should consider more often. Mixed breed dogs often are healthier, live longer, and don't have the whole "bred personalities" that come with pure bred dogs.
She is part black lab, german shephed and whippet gorgeous

Magical Moogles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I second what Emaemmaemily said. You need to be quite careful with staffys as they can have an aggressive nature, its sort of what they were bred for. Some are really lovely, but I've witnessed some really nasty ones as well. The fact that it's a rescue dog as well, might give it other problems you might not be prepared for.

A staffy attacked my dog at the park years ago, he ran away and suffered from some nasty injuries. He became really scared with other dogs afterwards. What makes it even more disastrous, is the owner actually released it on our dog, and was laughing, when it was attacking us! I get scared a bit now when I see one and always try to avoid.

But like I said above, some can be really nice as well. So I don't want to completely put you off the idea. You just need to look into the history, and also observe how the dog acts with you. If it's nervous and avoids any contact, or worse, seems aggressive, I'd highly recommend looking elsewhere. If it's outgoing, and likes people then it should be fine, especially if its got a good history.

I think Labs are a good choice as well. We've now got a LabxCollie puppy, he was so easy to train, and has a lovely temperment. Most labradors do have a good temperment. I recommend a cross breed, for the same reasons above. You'd need to do your research on both breeds, and possibly the temperments of the parents. If you get a rescue dog, its really important to try and find out their background. I would personally try and avoid a dog which has been mistreated, at least for your first time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise