CV for a top Barrister or Solicitors firm? Watch

sweetgyal24
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My CV needs serious updating! The last time I used it, was whilst doing my Alevels at College. When looking for work experience at a top Barrister or Solicitors chamber, what exactly does the CV have to contain? :eek:

I have got 2 pages, but haven't updated it for a while as I said earlier......

Any tips, advice, opinions, guidance, plz let me know.

Thanks in ad

Forgot to add, I'm currently a first year- LLB student!

EDIT: Just been reading information, etc on cv writing skills. I did not know that you can make more then 1 CV when applying for jobs. That would take up so much time and money lol. However, if you want to know what type of profession or career to enter, I would think that you should stick to 1cv. Say if I was invited to an interview and they asked me questions, the most famous, why do you want this job etc? .... I might have forgotten what I had written to that specific employer as a result of sending a lot of other cv's to other employers?
For different job positions, or even careers, writing different things in a cv does make sense I guess. Any advice would really be appreciated!

Hope that made some sense
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sweetgyal24)
My CV needs serious updating! The last time I used it, was whilst doing my Alevels at College. When looking for work experience at a top Barrister or Solicitors chamber, what exactly does the CV have to contain? :eek:

I have got 2 pages, but haven't updated it for a while as I said earlier......

Any tips, advice, opinions, guidance, plz let me know.

Thanks in ad

Forgot to add, I'm currently a first year- LLB student!
There's a CV Help thread where you can talk specifics in a private thread.
sweetgyal24
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's a CV Help thread where you can talk specifics in a private thread.
Thanks, I will have a look
phillipb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Remember that a CV is intended to get you a interview and not a job. So it should be written with that target in mind.

To greatly increase your chances of getting invited to a interview you need to stand out from the competition. One of the best ways to do this is by writing a new CV for every job you apply for.

Research the prospective employer i.e. have they been in the news, have they recently opened a new office etc. Then mention this in your cover letter or CV.

• Read the job description, make a list of exactly what the employer wants then mention these points in your CV.

This method may be time consuming and hard work but it has a proven track record of winning interviews.

If you need further help then click on the link below to see for free a professionally written solicitors CV example that you can use as a guide.

http://www.dayjob.com/downloads/CV_e..._Solicitor.pdf

• Identify what a employer wants from a candidate.
  • Identify what you can offer the employer.
  • Write a CV that matches the points as closely as possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (154)
27.55%
No (405)
72.45%

Watched Threads