Would you date someone who listens to Phil Collins? Watch

Nerd_No_More
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm a big music fan and one of my favourite artists is Phil Collins and Genesis. I've got all his albums and dvds and stuff. The problem is, a lot of my friends have told me it's 'not cool' to listen to Phil Collins or Genesis because it's apparently 'music only your parents listen to'.

Now I want to know, if I get any dates, should I mention I like Phil's music? I don't want to put any girls off, but at the same time his music is a big part of my life so why should I change who I am just for a girl?

I like 80s music, love songs, ballads and up-tempo music, not so much the modern stuff.

How would a girl between 17 to 24 react to this? Perhaps I should only go for older women because they're more likely to be into his music.

Cheers.
Upside Down
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tell your friends to stfu. There are plenty of girls who would find your music tastes cool. I do.
Munchies-YumYum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your friends are wasted mate. Phil Collins is awesome, and why does it matter what type of music you like. If someone doesn't want to date you because "she doesn't like phil collins" then you should probably not date her. Our teacher used to play phil collins while doing experiments in the physics class.

Pure awesomeness:

El_Sid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uhm, if someone was going to decide not to date me due to me liking a specific band/artist, I wouldn't feel I was missing out on much by not being with them.
Mr Disco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Having a taste in music that you have thought about and enjoy for its own sake ****s on liking vacuous dubstep because some ****bags tell you that its cool.

Also, Phil Collins is brilliant.
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's Just The Way It Is.
Drumzilla
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
mate i listen pretty much exclusively to older music, supertramp, santana, hendrix, the smiths etc... and i have some really cheesy 80's stuff (can you say eddie murphy ) but it's what i like and it's never been a problem.

if anything it's good because it's something different and it's something to talk about.
Cariie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nerd_No_More)
How would a girl between 17 to 24 react to this? Perhaps I should only go for older women because they're more likely to be into his music.

Cheers.
I love Phil Collins I can't imagine many relationships being held back by Phil Collins related issues tbf. . . you're friends have a strange idea of what girls base their attractions on :/
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Phil Collins is awesome. /thread
Reagan Smash
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dunno why anyone would refuse to date someone just because they listened to Phil Collins. I love Phil Collins and Strangers like me is one of my favourite songs ever. If someone chooses not to date you becauase of something stupid like music taste then they're not worth it in the first place. Who wants someone that picky?!
tashazzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Phil Collins is a legend.
Mayden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nerd_No_More)
I'm a big music fan and one of my favourite artists is Phil Collins and Genesis. I've got all his albums and dvds and stuff. The problem is, a lot of my friends have told me it's 'not cool' to listen to Phil Collins or Genesis because it's apparently 'music only your parents listen to'.

Now I want to know, if I get any dates, should I mention I like Phil's music? I don't want to put any girls off, but at the same time his music is a big part of my life so why should I change who I am just for a girl?

I like 80s music, love songs, ballads and up-tempo music, not so much the modern stuff.

Cheers.
I luuuuuurve Phil Collins.
Mainly 'cause of disney... then I found more about him after that.

Ignore your friends, I'm sure their girlfriends or boyfriends don't like all their favourite bands and stuff.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like Phil Collins.
o Rebecca o
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have some of Phil's music on my ipod and I am only 23.
TheRealDarthVader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Genesis are fine, but Phil Collins is a fag.
Symph
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I sure as hell wouldn't date someone who didn't listen to Phil Collins.
Nerd_No_More
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Definitely. Phil is one of Britain's best artists ever. A true musician, he sings, plays drums, plays keyboards and writes interesting and meaningful songs.

I didn't like the Peter Gabriel era Genesis....the band got better when Phil stepped out to front the band. Genesis in the 80s were amazing. I like 'Abacab' a lot too, but yeah 'Invisible Touch' is a classic album.

We won't see the likes of Collins again. Sadly, he gets a lot of hatred in the press in the UK, but they're idiots to talk **** about him. Very few artists can match Phil's level of tallent, versatility, creativity and success.

Forget all the **** music today, Phil comes from an era where musicians wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. Nowadays the music world is so fake.
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's stupid to not date somebody because of that. Also:

zBenHz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you're not a drum playing gorilla you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise